PDA

View Full Version : Black hats attack gaping DNS hole

SUBMAN1
08-01-08, 12:39 PM
Well, we knew it would happen.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/31/dns_cache_poisoning_goes_wild/

-S

Miscreants are actively exploiting a gaping hole in the internet's address lookup system that can cause millions of web surfers to receive counterfeit pages when they try to access online banking services and other types of websites.
The first confirmed instance came on Tuesday, when security researcher H D Moore discovered a domain-name service server operated by AT&T had been compromised. The attack caused Moore and other AT&T subscribers to be redirected to a fake Google page (http://blog.metasploit.com/2008/07/on-dns-attacks-in-wild-and-journalistic.html) that tried to push affiliate advertising sites....

Platapus
08-01-08, 12:48 PM
People suck.:down:

I hate people.

August
08-01-08, 02:37 PM
I never do any online banking.

SUBMAN1
08-01-08, 02:42 PM
I never do any online banking.That is just an example.

-S

Platapus
08-01-08, 02:42 PM

No But your bank does:yep:

SUBMAN1
08-01-08, 02:43 PM
No But your bank does:yep:Damn good point! :D

-S

Platapus
08-01-08, 02:49 PM
I used to be dead set against using "online banking" to pay my bills. I was concerned with the security of my accounts and such. I did not want any of that stuff going across any networks. Then a banking friend of ours sat me down and gave me the bad news.

Unless you and your creditors use not only the same bank but the same branch, all the transaction information (your account and your creditor account) are transmitted via the secure networks.

The good news is that since the bank has more to lose than you do, the banking industry spends a cubic buttload of money on data security.

The bad news is that the criminals are also working hard at cracking their security.:nope:

So I repeat my original response:

People suck. :down:

I hate people.

SUBMAN1
08-01-08, 03:11 PM
I like most people, but there are always a few out there with loose screws upstairs!

-S

UnderseaLcpl
08-01-08, 03:14 PM
Another examle of some S*&&^$&^(E$##W!I#(($Y(&&!(*# Mother^%$@$$*@ ruining it for everyone. I pray I meet and identify one in person someday.

In USMC terminology "there's always at least one....."