PDA

View Full Version : Two instances of SHIV ?

SQU!D
07-31-08, 09:26 AM
Was wondering if anyone knew how to install SHIV twice on same HD..?

I would like to run both SHIV1.4 and SHIV1.5, so i can play either/or....
versions in "MULTIPLAYER"

thanks in advance

SteamWake
07-31-08, 10:11 AM
Seperate installs have been done. The 'versions may be slightly different but its defintatly been done.

If your talking about running two instances on the same machine at the same time.... good luck.

Dig through the forums with the search tool.

Maybe someone with more patience and time than I will provide the links.

steinbeck
07-31-08, 10:23 AM
Was wondering if anyone knew how to install SHIV twice on same HD..?

I would like to run both SHIV1.4 and SHIV1.5, so i can play either/or....
versions in "MULTIPLAYER"

thanks in advance

Do a clean install of SH4 +patches/1.5. COPY this to another folder renamed 'SH4 Custom' ,make another 'SH4 Custom' save folder in you 'My Docs' and that should work as 2 completely seperate games

steinbeck

Digital_Trucker
07-31-08, 10:35 AM
Firstly, download MultiSH4 from here (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=108215). You MUST have Multish4 for multiple installs on the same computer to work correctly. (Edit: You must have Multish4 to guarantee that it works correctly without having to remember which saved folder is which and what game you played last week:p)

The game folder can be copied to multiple locations on your computer, but (unless you use MultiSH4) all of those game installations will use the same saved game folder (in "My Documents\SH4") which defeats the purpose of having multiple installations.

When you install MultiSH4 into one of your game installation folders, run it and change the folder name from SH4 to any other valid 3 character folder name, then that game installation will use the new folder for its saved games.

The original folder that the game was installed to is the one that is going to get patched, so you need to remember which one it was.

The safest method is to uninstall the game totally (see sticky thread on how to go about this). Then install the game and patch to 1.4. Then copy that game folder to a different location/name and install multish4 in the new folder and change the saved game folder name to something other than SH4. For instance, I use S4M for sh4, version 1.4, modded. I also copy the "virgin" game installation folder somewhere for safekeeping in case I need a file from it.

Now install the add-on to the original folder that the game was installed in. Copy that folder again to some other place/name, install multish4 in that game folder, run it and change the saved game folder name to another unique name. Then, if you want, copy the original game folder (the one that the add-on was installed in) to another name/place for safe-keeping.

You'll now have 4 (or 5) game installation folders (and probably need a new hard drive:arrgh!:). You will have "virgin" installs of both 1.4 and 1.5 for safekeeping and to use if you want to create more than one install of each version (for instance with different super-mods) and you'll have one each of 1.4 and 1.5 that you can play.

The key is making sure that each game install folder that actually gets played has MultiSH4 installed and that you've used it to change the saved game folder name to something different for each game.

Also remember that whichever folder name that you used to install the game initially needs to stay "unused" in case there are any future patches or add-ons, because that is where the addon or patch will be installed.

Rommer69
07-31-08, 10:44 AM
As Steinbeck told you, clean install of SH4 updated to 1.4. copy the folder, rename it, install 1.5 in the second one.
Search forums for MultiSH4, download it and copy it in the folder of SH4 + 1.5. this program creates a new savegame folder in my documents, so it allows you to rename it and do not copy the data fo your carrers in the same folder (default called SH4). If you donŽt use this program, you can be aware and change the name of the folder to SH4 in my documents every time you want to play, like this:

- Installation of SH4 patch 1.4, folder in my documents called SH4
- Installation of SH4 v 1.5, folder in my documents called SHU (for example).

If you want to play v 1.4, leave it as it is, if you want to play 1.5, change the name of the folders, SH4--SHU and SHU--SH4; system will always save your career in the one called SH4.
If you run MultiSH4, no mess, you have 2 folders and every installation will save careers in their respective one.

It is clear?:D
IŽll try to search for you the link to download MulitSH4.

Rommer69
07-31-08, 10:52 AM
Digital trucker overtook me:up: , but is the same recommendation. He also posted the link.
IŽve been using it in SH3 and works OK. You can have not only 2 but all the installations that your HD have room for.

FIREWALL
07-31-08, 11:41 AM
Hi SQUID

Welcome Aboard :up:

SQU!D
07-31-08, 01:48 PM
wow!
thanks for the speedy replies..........
Ill give it a shot
thanks again

ReallyDedPoet
08-07-08, 07:19 AM