PDA

View Full Version : Star Goes Nova in Our Galaxy and No One Noticed

SUBMAN1
07-30-08, 10:39 AM
This could wipe you out rather quickly by the way if it were the super variety!

Anyway, I bet most people just passed off this extra light from the star as a nearby planet. That is what I would have done.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080722-st-star-found.html

-S

UnderseaLcpl
07-30-08, 01:18 PM
Cool stuff. I wish I had time to bring out the old telescope and admire it.

STEED
07-30-08, 01:23 PM
You put a telescope out the window around here and you will have the cops kicking in your door and arresting you.

SUBMAN1
07-30-08, 01:29 PM
You put a telescope out the window around here and you will have the cops kicking in your door and arresting you.You got to be kidding me? What kind of draconian country do you live in?

-S

Diopos
07-30-08, 01:33 PM
Oh no. Not USNO-A2.0 0450-03360039! Just bought property there and it exploded! :o
:lol:
BTW good post!:up:

STEED
07-30-08, 01:39 PM
You put a telescope out the window around here and you will have the cops kicking in your door and arresting you.You got to be kidding me? What kind of draconian country do you live in?

-S

It has been known to happen. :nope:

Thats why if I spend the night skywards I will have my trump card........;)

http://www.tmcentertainment.co.uk/images/speaker-index/SpeakOutPatrickMoore.jpg Sir patrick moore from the TV series The Sky at Night.

Rhodes
07-30-08, 03:43 PM
Oh no. Not USNO-A2.0 0450-03360039! Just bought property there and it exploded! :o
:lol:
BTW good post!:up:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Good one!

Blacklight
07-30-08, 07:12 PM
It's been cloudy and rainy here all week. No chance of me seeing it anytime soon. I have a nice little telescope. I'll have to look up where the Puppis constellation is.

*Correction*
I will never see it directly. It's visible from the southern hemisphere only. All the cool space stuff happens in the southern hemisphere. I've rarely seen anything super exciting here in the north.

baggygreen
07-30-08, 07:24 PM
its been too cold here to go out and stargaze... perfect atmospheric conditions for it but too cold.

Frame57
07-30-08, 09:24 PM
Isn't there a 'star registry' where you can actually have one names after you if you send em some money? But that would be my luck too, I would do that and "POOF" supernova time.

nikimcbee
07-30-08, 09:29 PM
No one saw it because it was on PBS.:rotfl:

SUBMAN1
07-30-08, 09:33 PM
No one saw it because it was on PBS.:rotfl:I like PBS! :x They show cool programs like NOVA!

-S

nikimcbee
07-30-08, 09:54 PM
No one saw it because it was on PBS.:rotfl:I like PBS! :x They show cool programs like NOVA!

-S

Sorry, bad joke.:dead: I like NOVA to. But when I see shows like "oregon art beat", I can't believe my tax dollars are going to this.:roll:

baggygreen
07-30-08, 10:22 PM
Isn't there a 'star registry' where you can actually have one names after you if you send em some money? But that would be my luck too, I would do that and "POOF" supernova time.That was my fiancees christmas present last year.. a bit goofy really, but she liked it!

DemonTraitor
07-31-08, 03:57 AM
Isn't there a 'star registry' where you can actually have one names after you if you send em some money? But that would be my luck too, I would do that and "POOF" supernova time.

I was going to do this for my partner, but the registration is not actually recognised by any astronomical body. You are basically paying for a piece of paper saying you named a star, but only you (and your partner, and friends and family etc) would actually know about it. It will never ever be referenced in any sky chart/map - all a bit of a con really :cry:

SUBMAN1
07-31-08, 07:40 PM
Isn't there a 'star registry' where you can actually have one names after you if you send em some money? But that would be my luck too, I would do that and "POOF" supernova time.That means you would totally go down in history! No one remembers the odd dim star in the sky, but everyone remembers the one that went *POOF*! Good way to get yourself in the history books!

I'm sure you have to limit yourself to the Milky way galaxy though, so you only have 300 million to 500 million choices with the hopes that one of them will go in your lifetime! :D :up:

Good luck man! I'm sure you have much better odds with the lottery!

-S