PDA

View Full Version : virus help

nikimcbee
07-21-08, 07:20 PM
On my old computer, something has messed with Explorer. When I go to log on the internet, some program hijacks it at says I need to download their program:damn: . The virus scans don't pick anything up (I have norton) but it stops it from installing when you click on the window pop-up. The spyware programs also say everything is okay. Firefox runs, so I've re-downloaded IE7 and the security updates. But they didn't seem to help.:roll: Any ideas on how to find this program and kill it?

SUBMAN1
07-21-08, 07:25 PM
On my old computer, something has messed with Explorer. When I go to log on the internet, some program hijacks it at says I need to download their program:damn: . The virus scans don't pick anything up (I have norton) but it stops it from installing when you click on the window pop-up. The spyware programs also say everything is okay. Firefox runs, so I've re-downloaded IE7 and the security updates. But they didn't seem to help.:roll: Any ideas on how to find this program and kill it?

Run AdAware from Lavasoft. It should clean out 99% of everything, and then run Spybot after it since one will pick up what the other misses.

http://lavasoft.com/

http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

-S

nikimcbee
07-21-08, 07:36 PM

Run AdAware from Lavasoft. It should clean out 99% of everything, and then run Spybot after it since one will pick up what the other misses.

http://lavasoft.com/

http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

-S

I have adaware, but something was blocking it from updating:x . I've got it updating and re-running scan. I re-installed IE7, it runs the first time but the second time it runs, it brings up the critical error window, please download the program.:shifty: I'm making progress, I think...

Monica Lewinsky
07-21-08, 08:33 PM
Is it possible for you to remove that hard drive on a temp basis and put it another PC of yours ; then scan? The advantage of doing that it is not a bootable drive which might confuse the virus/spyware and remove it or kill it using the temp PC? I have had a lot of luck using this approach avoiding a total reformat of the bum hard drive.

Of course you expose the other machine a SLIGHT risk of the same infection ... but... by making a suspected h.d. as a secondary drive, it is SO MUCH EASIER to clean it up than beating yours brains out if using it as the boot drive in the secondary PC.

Just a suggestion.

raymond6751
07-21-08, 08:37 PM
I had a similar problem last year. I recall there was a program called Hijack This or something. Google with the word hijack and you may find it.

You have got a hijacker that has attached itself in your favourites, I think.

Anyway, good luck.

nikimcbee
07-21-08, 08:38 PM
Is it possible for you to remove that hard drive on a temp basis and put it another PC of yours ; then scan? The advantage of doing that it is not a bootable drive which might confuse the virus/spyware and remove it or kill it using the temp PC?

Of course you expose the other machine a SLIGHT risk of the same infection ... but... by making a suspected h.d. as a secondary drive, it is SO MUCH EASIER to clean it up than beating yours brains out if it is the boot drive.

Just a suggestion.

Ha, funny you should mention that. That's how I fixed my super old computer, I just took the hard drive out, plugged it in as a secondary drive and scanned it. I was able to recover what I wanted off the drive.

My other computer is okay (I think), it's just that something has messed with IE. Firefox runs just fine:oops: .

nikimcbee
07-21-08, 08:39 PM
I had a similar problem last year. I recall there was a program called Hijack This or something. Google with the word hijack and you may find it.

You have got a hijacker that has attached itself in your favourites, I think.

Anyway, good luck.

Good idea, I'll look into that.

Monica Lewinsky
07-21-08, 08:58 PM
I had a similar problem last year. I recall there was a program called Hijack This or something.

All that program does is tell you that you are screwed. It does very little to solve the problem other than stop the auto-starts that MIGHT be the cause of the problem[s].

SUBMAN1
07-21-08, 09:41 PM
I had a similar problem last year. I recall there was a program called Hijack This or something.
All that program does is tell you that you are screwed. It does very little to solve the problem other than stop the auto-starts that MIGHT be the cause of the problem[s].His words are true - good for finding stuff, and if you aren't good at manual manipulation, Hijack will not do anything for you which is why i don't even mention it.

Pull up a run menu and type in msconfig. That will allow you to selectively control what programs start up. You can safely disable everything in the start tab, but you may get some not so friendly errors under normal operation.

Anyway, disable everything and then run Spybot. Try Spybot if Adaware is having issue.

What ticks me off on Adaware is that I was on its testing committee back during the Becky forum days, and back then they were always telling us it would be 100% free forever. Seems you must buy it now days if you want full functionality. Spybot is still 100% free by the way.

-S

JHuschke
07-22-08, 01:26 AM
What are you using? You should get a better firewall, get ZL.

http://www.zonealarm.com/store/content/home.jsp

It's what I use, hunts em down and kills em.

Skybird
07-22-08, 03:01 AM
This would be the time for me to turn on paranoid mode, since éven after a "repair" I am not able to put trust in my installation anymore. I would format and reinstall, not using any saved data from the time period since you became aware of something beeing messed up.

Guys, use an installation image on a separate drive to do a backup of your basic installation. that way reinstallaing is a breeze, only updates and working files/save games you need to copy over by hand. This has been one of the best investments in my PC I ever did. Acronis software 45 euros, second HD in frame 50-60 euros - "und gut is'. " just do not leave the image HD connected to the computer, so that it cannot get infested. Physical separation/interruption is always a million times better than any software solution to protect a device from something - every software code can be beaten.

d@rk51d3
07-22-08, 03:08 AM
Also, try booting into "safe mode" first , THEN run your scans. You'll usually detect even more nasties.

SteveW1
07-22-08, 04:11 AM
I had this same situation recently myself, every time I opened up explorer an advert would load instantly telling me to download their program.

I tried multiple adware programs as well as virus scanners, they wouldn't pick up diddly squat so in the end I backed up 8 DVD's worth of data and reformatted my hard drive.

No problems now after formating and reinstalling.

Hope you get your problem sorted nikimcbee.

Steve

kiwi_2005
07-22-08, 04:17 AM
Hijacked. I got a similar one once, Spybot killed it.

Skybird
07-22-08, 05:07 AM
I tried multiple adware programs as well as virus scanners, they wouldn't pick up diddly squat so in the end I backed up 8 DVD's worth of data and reformatted my hard drive.

You must be aware that it holds a risk to create backups from the time your system already has been affected. It is better to do regular backups, or incremental backups, of your wokring files, and have three sets of them from the past three (or how many you want) timestamps, so that you can always go back to a backup originating from a time when everything still was in order. else you reinstall your system, copy your infested data back to it - and you are were you started, in the middle of the mess.

UnderseaLcpl
07-22-08, 05:29 AM
Had the same problem. I looked it up on google, found a forum that addressed it and listed registry values to delete. I wouldn't download any auto-fixes as some of them are malware as well.

I don't know anything about the registry or programming but I managed to get it to work.

Of course there is always factory restore if you have the disk.

Or you could get a mac:D

SUBMAN1
07-22-08, 10:43 PM
A good virus will watch the registry since it is typically executed from 2 or more locations. Try and delete one, and it will automatically replace it.

Same with BHO's. Delete one, and a good virus or Adware program will automatically replace it.

The only real way to delete one is to use software, or to do it manually from a safe mode or even a command prompt repair mode from your XP CD.

Spybot however will get rid of what it is you have issue with. Spybot however cannot repair any damage caused by whatever you have so if it has physically damaged something, not much you can do about it.

Skybird mentions he doesn't like repair mode since he doesn't trust it. That is nonsense. Repair mode however is a last resort since you will be loading patches again to fix holes.

-S

Peto
07-22-08, 11:00 PM
I agree with Subman. HijackThis is a great program but using it can be a buggar if you don't know how to read it. Safe mode is a good option as it turns off nonesential processes and frequently spyware/viruses are not active then.

On the other hand--if you don't have anything of great importance on your system (nothing you can't replace with a download or program reinstall) a wipe and reload isn't really a bad option. Sometimes it saves you time in the long run. Especially if you know what drivers you need to get your components working again. (Check Device Manager to get those details).

I've been fixing more malware problems lately than I've ever seen in years of computer repair. Oh--my 2 cents here--Norton isn't worth 2 cents. Once you're problem is resolved I'd recommend a different anti-virus program. I currently use AVG free version on my home system (www.free.grisoft.com (http://www.free.grisoft.com)) and it does a good job without making a huge foot-print on my computer's performance. If subman has a recommendation for anti-virus, take him seriously as well. I may not agree with all his political philosophies but I certainly respect his tech knowledge :up:.

Good Luck!

SUBMAN1
07-22-08, 11:06 PM
...If subman has a recommendation for anti-virus, take him seriously as well. I may not agree with all his political philosophies but I certainly respect his tech knowledge :up:....
Thanks man!

By the way, just my two cents here on the political side - What makes the world both interesting and great is that we all have different viewpoints. If you thought exactly like me, or I thought exactly like you, we would be living in a very boring place....

Think about it.

-S

Peto
07-22-08, 11:11 PM
By the way, just my two cents here on the political side - What makes the world both interesting and great is that we all have different viewpoints. If you thought exactly like me, or I thought exactly like you, we would be living in a very boring place....

Think about it.

-S

I don't have to. It's already another point we agree on :hmm:!

Peto

jpm1
07-23-08, 03:23 AM
try AVG anti rootkit (still free for now ..) if it doesn't work try Hijack this but you'll have to remove the recalcitrant program manually i don't show you the way to a tutorial as the only one i know is in french but you should find easily by typing google . this link can be useful too http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

nikimcbee
08-17-08, 12:33 AM
bump

nikimcbee
08-17-08, 12:47 AM
bump

It's still doing the same thing, except now I can't click on any files, or I get the message.

so I've plugged the hard drive in my new computer and I'm re scanning, then I'm going to do AVG.:roll: Norton blocks the virus, but it does not detect it. It's like its a 2 part virus.

silentrunner
08-17-08, 12:48 AM
I might have just had a similar problem. On an older computer I was using the other day, I opened up the browser, and a program that was just called anti virus 2009 asking me to download. The window wouldn't close until I used the task manager. I restarted, and ran an Avast scan but nothing was found should I be more worried.

nikimcbee
08-17-08, 12:53 AM
I might have just had a similar problem. On an older computer I was using the other day, I opened up the browser, and a program that was just called anti virus 2009 asking me to download. The window wouldn't close until I used the task manager. I restarted, and ran an Avast scan but nothing was found should I be more worried.

What I was getting was a window that said program error, you have corrupted files and you need to download our virus program (which is the virus). Beyond that I can't get on the internet, access my files. Norton says it blocked it, but when you scan, it comes up with nothing.:dead:

nikimcbee
08-17-08, 01:13 AM
Scan finished. Norton finds nothing:roll:

d@rk51d3
08-17-08, 01:59 AM
deleted - double post.

d@rk51d3
08-17-08, 02:00 AM
Are you doing all this in safe mode?

And have you disabled / wiped your restore points?

Stealth Hunter
08-17-08, 02:31 AM
Hey Niki, you are aware that Norton Anti-Virus is notorious (pun intended) for being a "back-door" program? That basically means that certain viruses and trojans can actually come through into your computer via Norton. Abandon it.

I personally use the Free Spyware Adware Scanner and Remover. Although you need to pay $30 bucks for it to actually be useful (it's really not free; of course you won't have to pay if you don't mind scouting around manually and finding the infected files and deleting/fixing them), it will scan for viruses and even trojans (surprisingly, they're not in the name).

It's worked great for me for several months now. I personally feel AVG is overrated and so is Avast!.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.programurl.com/-free-spyware-adware-scanner-and-remover.htm

Of course, if that doesn't float your boat, try PREVX-CSI (which you'll have to pay for IF you want it to do the automatic removal and fixing of infected files, just like the one posted above; it will scan, but that's it; I used it when I had that advertising virus/trojan enter my computer; made a thread about it in January I think it was).

Here's a link to it:

http://www.prevx.com/filenames/X1723854715654607556-0/PREVXCSI.EXE.html

nikimcbee
08-18-08, 01:16 AM
AVG 1 Virus 0

Norton depth charged off my HD

News at 11

I discovered the hard way that Norton and AVG don't play nicely together. That took awhile to fix.:dead:

But after 2 hours of scanning, AVG found it.

Now time to put my old computer back together.

d@rk51d3
08-18-08, 03:54 AM
It's a good feeling isn't it.

Well done.:up:

nikimcbee
08-18-08, 01:01 PM

wait, how do you do that?

SUBMAN1
08-18-08, 01:05 PM
wait, how do you do that?Good point. Viruses can hide in the Restore area since it is off limits from normal scanning, etc.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/3048/restorenp7.gif

-S

nikimcbee
08-18-08, 01:21 PM
So should I turn that off, then re-scan it?

SUBMAN1
08-18-08, 01:22 PM
So should I turn that off, then re-scan it?Yep - that will delete it.

-S