PDA

View Full Version : Keep missing left - can anyone help? Dick O'Kane and PK based

yairiny
07-20-08, 12:10 AM
Hi,

I'm a new SH4 player, but am really getting frustrated and am just about to drop it. My problem is that I cannot seem to hit anything. I am playing 1.5 with RFB 1.5 051408, and RSRDC V395_RC5. The problem is that my torps keep swerving left, after leaving the sub, and I have tried this both with the Dick OKane method and with the PK based method I saw in Werner Sobe's tut. Is this something that could be fixed with a reinstall?

I have a save game a couple of minutes before firing at a ship coming right to left, and I am at a 90 deg AOB to its track coming from the south side of it's track. Shooting fast torps with a spread (when doing Werner Sobe's method), or without one (when doing Dick OKane method by RR). Doesn't matter, torps keep swerving left and missing well ahead.

Has anyone run into anything like this?

Thanks for your help!

Peto
07-20-08, 01:44 AM
Lot's of us have had trouble learning to hit ships. Especially me :yep:! But once you get it down-you've got it! So don't give up!!!

I'll see if I can help out a bit. Make sure you have the speed figured out. I do this the hard way and won't try to detail it here but I usually take at least 15 minutes to figure out speed. Make sure your speed estimate is within bounds of the target types capabilities (in the Recognition Manual).

Angle on the Bow: Pretend you're on the target ship looking at your sub. The angle you are looking from the Target is the setting to use.

Range: Make sure you are using the RFB ranges for your stadimeter. In the Recognition Manual, they are marked in red on each ship. Frequently, you measure the stack height--NOT the mast height as it was originally set (and typically mentioned).

After you set each value, you MUST Enter it by clicking the arrow on your TDC (11 0'clock on the upper right dial). When all values are entered (and clicked in) I typically click the arrow again just before firing. And I can safely say that I hit almost every target I shoot at now. If only the torpedos would explode :shifty:.

Hope this helps and that I've made sense. Regardless--hang in there!!! We'll help you out!

Cheers!

Peto

leorfeo
07-20-08, 04:55 AM
Hello dear subsimers,

First let me thank you for this great forum. Many Questions have been solved for me. Yet one couldn`t be resolved though.

I`m using the RFB 1.4 mod (dont have the addon "uboat" yet). When i try to shoot torpedos at Convoy ships or single ones the torpedos always goes into the same (left) direction. This is unintended!

Lets say i target a ship right hand side of me (dont know the naval term) then the first torp goes left, lets say 330 degr, without me wanting him to. When i correct the aiming on the same ship (it has moved by now, lets say 10degr.), the next torpedo is also going to the left to 340 degr. It goes for all torpedos respectivly. Im using manual aiming.

Please be assured, that i have read the manuals on manual aiming and seen the videos on youtube. I think its a problem with the TDC which has old datas. Yet im not clear how to undo these datas. I heard that you just have to dobleclick it but this doesnt work. Just to show you how i aim:

1: identify ship
2. measure range to ship
3: guess relative position to ship
4: now put TDC on
5: now put measured datas into TDC (by pressing litte red tangular thingy)
6: after a while measure range again and put it to TDC (might do this 3 or 4 times)
7: Ask computing solution for Speed and put it into TDC
8: fire Torpedos

Even if i dont use the TDC, the torps will go "in the same spot" aka left direction. Tried it the way yairiny suggested - doesnt work What am i doing wrong?

Thx

Schroeder
07-20-08, 05:05 AM
Old bug in RFB should have been fixed with the latest version.

raymond6751
07-20-08, 05:49 AM
Anybody having the left problem without RFB? All this time I thought it was me. I thought I must need new glasses.

Any RFB guys getting hits?

Mush Martin
07-20-08, 06:09 AM
Please standby while I find some coffee and try to re read this.
M
[edit]

I know you said it in OP but can you confirm that the torps
are passing in front of the target ship not behind it.???

yairiny
07-20-08, 07:25 AM
Hi Mush,

Can absolutely confirm this, they are going in front, i.e. breaking left in front of a target moving from my right to my left. I have tried switching to slow torps (thinking it was maybe aiming like a slow torp), but then they break even further left, i.e. further in front of the target. I have the target speed right, I have map contacts on and measure 3 minutes of distance. Stadimeter isn't in play using the Dick O'Kabe method, i just input in 1250 yards and make sure I am 1250 yards away from the target when firing. AOB is certainly correct, I am at a 90 deg angle to the target course, and am aiming to 10 deg right, i.e. AOB of Port 80. Also the miss to the left is pretty big, like 20 degrees. They just shoot off and after about 5-10 secs suddenly turn left.

One of the replies said it is a known bug in RFB, I amusing the 051408 version and not the latest, was that the problem all along?

Thanks very much for your help guys! 5 replies in a few hours is great.

Cheers

leorfeo
07-20-08, 07:35 AM
Hi,

When i have a target on my right, passing me (which means its comes from 0 degrs and goes to 180 degrs) all my torps are going left, no matter what. I think it is the same rpob yairiny has, at least i guess so.

Mush Martin
07-20-08, 07:39 AM
I have to ask , are you certain your offset is set to zero then?

leorfeo
07-20-08, 07:51 AM
Hi Mush Martin,

did you ask me if my offset is 0? if not im sorry i interrupted you.

Otherwise, what do you mean by offset. Clearing of the TDC? I hear clearing is maded by enabling and disabling it again. Is that right or will i keep old datas ruining my calculation?

By the way, even if im not using the Position holder my torps go left.

leorfeo

Mush Martin
07-20-08, 07:53 AM
switch from tdc to torpedo settings and check to see
if your offset angle switch is centred on zero

the symptom sounds like its been previously offset
and never reset to zero.

M

[edit] thats if your playing a save I guess
but it shouldnt survive a re initialization of
the game so that is probably wrong.

M

leorfeo
07-20-08, 08:06 AM
Hi Mush Martin,

As yairini i am reloading a Convoyattack. By this, as you mentioned, the angle of spread fo torpedos is reseted to zero...the problems of left going torpedos remains.

If i may put one more guess into the Forum. May it be a problem of the Securom Copy Protection. Be assured i got the (german) original SH 4 and no Virtual Drive installed. All is patched up. I havent tried the unmodded SH4 though, maybe th problem does not happen there?

Mush Martin
07-20-08, 08:22 AM
No that seems totally unlikely honest.

we are missing something.

Mush Martin
07-20-08, 08:25 AM
Indulge me

pull up your saved game and re execute the attack

this time before the first shot and between each
shot thereafter move the offset approximately
one half degree downwards
(counter clockwise so that the degrees your adding are positive numbers)

yairiny
07-20-08, 08:31 AM
Hi Mush and everyone else,

Just wanted to update that I uninstalled my RFB, then installed the latest one, and my problem is solved! I re-loaded that same darned save and got 4/4 hits (3 were duds, but that's cool :)).

Thanks very much for putting in the effort to help, this is a great community, and I'm glad I stuck to trying and posted here!

Only problem now is that the weekend is over, and it is already pretty late down here in Sydney, so until next weekend, I'll just have to wait to get back into it :)

Cheers!

Mush Martin
07-20-08, 08:36 AM
Good luck and enjoy, RR,urge and I are trying to do up a
torpedo spread workshop. watch for it.

M:up:

leorfeo
07-20-08, 08:40 AM
Hi guys,

Good to hear that the newest installment solved the problem. yairiny, you got the u boats extention? If so i will have to buy it also to play RFB properly.

Bye everybody and Thanks for the help

Peto
07-20-08, 10:49 AM
Wow! I'm glad Mush got that solved before I logged on today :lol:! Glad it's figured out!!!

Mush Martin
07-20-08, 11:18 AM
Wow! I'm glad Mush got that solved before I logged on today :lol:! Glad it's figured out!!!

I didnt solve it, he did.
but I'm glad too.

Peto
07-20-08, 12:13 PM

I didnt solve it, he did.
but I'm glad too.

Alright--now that I've had a cup of coffee, I see that. But none-the-less, you were right in the middle of the fray, driving it towards a desirable conclusion :up:!!!

Rockin Robbins
07-20-08, 02:08 PM
Well I missed the opening curtain and by the time I got here the show was over!:up:

yairiny
07-20-08, 03:54 PM
leorfeo, yes I do have the UBoat extension, and am using the latest RFB which is compatible only with 1.5 Maybe you can use TM if this is an issue for you.

Cheers

leorfeo
07-21-08, 01:00 AM
Hi Yairiny,

Thx for the advice with TM but i gonna get the uboat update. i really love RFBand like to stick to it.

Bad thing is the working week has started "rolleyes". :shifty:

Sigh well you gotta do what you gotta do right.