PDA

View Full Version : I'm debateing buying this game, buuut..

Atlantis
07-18-08, 09:42 PM
Well I like subsims, I have SH4&uboats, and SH3. Now I love World War one history and submarines, so I'm contemplating getting this game, but everything I read about it on the world wide web is horrible. Every game site has rated it poorly and frankly the only place I've seen good comments about it is here, on this forum. So I ask you just 2 questions. First is this a good overall game, does it compare to SH4 and SH3, is it worth my money? And Second, what u-boats can you get, could someone post screens? (the boats are veery important :P ) I'd really appreciate it.

FIREWALL
07-18-08, 10:05 PM
When in doubt... Wait and get it cheap in ebay bargain bin.:p

Monica Lewinsky
07-18-08, 10:26 PM
Game is real COOL!

The suck factor:
No way to save the game and continue where you left off.

Herr_Pete
07-18-08, 11:41 PM
When in doubt... Wait and get it cheap in ebay bargain bin.:p

Take firewalls advise! i wasnt to sure about the game so i got i bought it via Ebay for £2.50. Now i wish i spent it on a carton of milk! i found the game pretty poor to be honest! even with the patches. Graphics were poor! game play was miserable (slow pannings with the mouse) chunky desgusting water. I would advise you stay clear but you never know. You might pick up a we bargain like mine on ebay.:smug:

Buddahaid
07-19-08, 11:27 AM
It does not compare with SH3 or 4, it is not in the same class as those titles so don't expect it to. It compares somewhat to SH2 but looks and feels different. No, it doesn't have a save game feature but the patrols can be short when you have six torpedoes and duds. If you don't like the water look you can add U-boote Kurs West which gives it another one that seems to me more like a carpet with snakes chasing rats under it. I don't use the mouse for panning the view as it is very clunky, but the numeric keypad works smooth and easy

I did and would buy it again, but I also still play AOD. I find it somewhat relaxing to have more gameplay and less realism at times. It sort of resets your experience.

I would, however, avoid this title if you use an ATI video card. It doesn't like mine and I still get serious system crashes forcing reboots.:stare: I'm hoping for some development to iron out the video and mouse problems.

Buddahaid

Buddahaid
08-01-08, 10:18 AM
I made my second and last upgrade to my PC by changing my ATI x850xt card for a NVIDIA 8800GT OC a few days back and was able to complete patrol four, then five with a new boat, and nearly six. Six gave me a core crash again as I was shelling a small freighter on my way home after completing all objectives and sinking three destroyers. So based on that, I say the sim is still buggy but way better with NVIDIA graphic cards. If there was a save game feature, which by the way even AOD had, this sim would be more playable. It sucks to lose a patrol at the very end, after hours of play by the way.

Buddahaid

Capt Hook
08-12-08, 10:18 AM
I purchased this last night thru amazon. Might as well get this one first being a newbie to sub sims. Moving on from flying coffins to iron coffins, LOL!

Buddahaid
08-15-08, 12:50 PM
I purchased this last night thru amazon. Might as well get this one first being a newbie to sub sims. Moving on from flying coffins to iron coffins, LOL!

Read my tactics thread and save yourself some confusion. This one plays a bit different then the SH series in that there is no periscope depth command, and, it only takes a few seconds to be spotted with the scope exposed. I still like it for it's old tech and look even if the realism is light.

Flying coffins as it RB3D? Never played online, but still run careers with the game modded with the Hell's Angels Super Patch and Blue Max Mod. Too bad I can't play everything all the time and have to choose my main temptations.

Buddahaid

Buddahaid
08-22-08, 10:45 AM
I've completed twelve patrols now and I still get core crashes sometimes, even with Nvidia graphics hardware. Nothing else does this, so it is the SoF sim. These always occur when your observing the sea and never in the map view. If you don't leave the sim in one of those views very long it works fine.

Went back to SH4 the other day and got wiped out by the first DD I encountered. Guess SoF has made me lazy around them. :rock:

Buddahaid

Capt Hook
08-25-08, 11:14 AM
...it's a start.

I have the HA patch but never loaded it when I got Kesslers Full Canvas Jacket (FCJ) CD. I see your a singleplayer of RB3D as I.

I spend more time in Singleplay then online unless I'm involved with a good tournament like War Over Poland (WOP 1920), Flanders in Flames (FiF) or Flanders Air War 2 (FAW2). I fly for Jagdstaffel 30 these past five yrs as a bomber/recon pilot. The US13th Grim Reapers the first three yrs. for a total of eight yrs. now.

My favorite sector in singleplay is the Alsase region as a French pilot. Love the mountain views in the early morning light.

Anyhoo, I'm really here because I'm hoping I can find a sub sim that incorporates interactive early Hunter/Killer aeroplanes one can fly, online or off.

So, can ya help steer an old buccaneer in the right direction? :arrgh!:

Buddahaid
08-25-08, 11:58 AM
I haven't heard of any subsim that allows one to fly the aircraft. I moved into sub sims for two main reasons. One was a long family history around Isla de la Yegua, General Vallejo's Mare Island, and the other was the hands off aspect. You don't have to control them at all times freeing you to build models at the same time, etc.

SoF is about as easy as subsims get overall, so if it appeals to you, you should like the genre and start craving more realism. Try reading Clay Blair's 'Silent Victory' for a good accounting of the US fleet boat war on Japan, tactics and problems.

I know you get to attack shipping in IL2, and some have adapted the few biplanes to mimic WW1 aviation, but that is all I can think of now. Maybe Iron Seas will come closer someday.

Buddahaid

Capt Hook
08-25-08, 12:08 PM
Well, I can hope for the future. Am going to try out IL-2 soon. Everyones heading there anyhoo.

See ya soon & happy hunting:D

Capt Hook
09-15-08, 10:03 AM
...Damn!

Well, we're pretty much into some heavy tournament modes @ RB3D but I got a chance to play this game Saturday night (and I mean all night, ;))

I'll say this, I was surprised to see realistic looking ocean waves (urrrrp!) even thru the periscope. This game may be wishy washy to most of you but I haven't played those newer sub sims yet. I like this one and am glad to get it before going into the latest and greatest. I'll also say this, Shells of Fury could keep me entertained for quite awhile. Lots to see and lots to learn.

Almost jumped outta me underwear from that sound of a shell hitting the hull, Ka Rang! :doh: Turn that sound down when using a headset mates, it'll take ya by surprise or wake yer arse up real fast and for that matter the rest of the house to boot! or is that Das Boot, LOL!

Kptlt Thomsen
08-01-09, 12:37 PM
...it's a start.

I have the HA patch but never loaded it when I got Kesslers Full Canvas Jacket (FCJ) CD. I see your a singleplayer of RB3D as I.

I spend more time in Singleplay then online unless I'm involved with a good tournament like War Over Poland (WOP 1920), Flanders in Flames (FiF) or Flanders Air War 2 (FAW2). I fly for Jagdstaffel 30 these past five yrs as a bomber/recon pilot. The US13th Grim Reapers the first three yrs. for a total of eight yrs. now.

My favorite sector in singleplay is the Alsase region as a French pilot. Love the mountain views in the early morning light.

Anyhoo, I'm really here because I'm hoping I can find a sub sim that incorporates interactive early Hunter/Killer aeroplanes one can fly, online or off.

So, can ya help steer an old buccaneer in the right direction? :arrgh!:

Hello Capt Hook,
Wow...thought I was the only one that did the RB3D thing! LOL..I have both FCJ and HA...ones as good as the other...but FCJ had that little mod tool you could use to modify some game setting...like the accuracy of ground fire and AI tail gunners...

Admiral Von Gerlach
09-04-09, 10:52 AM
Shells of Fury looks fine at first glance, i enjoyed it very much yesterday, and i disagree re the water, it looks fine, and the mouse look works fine too. I would say this is ok for a mid level game, certainly not to the high standards of SH games but it is unqiue for WWI era, we sadly have not had many in that time frame, tho there is work afoot to get a WWI surface ship mod working. I would say try this game and enjoy it, i am.

auricom
11-25-09, 11:27 AM
Two features and this would be an awesome game

-the ability to save while on patrol
-the ability to determine what bearing you're viewing while in the periscope view..

Just those two features, IMO and this would ahev been a good game, but the lack of those two features ruins it for me.. esp not being able to save.

Buddahaid
11-26-09, 03:35 AM
Two features and this would be an awesome game

-the ability to save while on patrol
-the ability to determine what bearing you're viewing while in the periscope view..

Just those two features, IMO and this would ahev been a good game, but the lack of those two features ruins it for me.. esp not being able to save.

The save game is a killer, however, you do know your scope bearing by the lower right "directional and enemy display". The sub bow gives your heading and the yellow band your view direction.

Buddahaid

auricom
11-27-09, 01:19 PM
ahh you are correct.. thanks!

auricom
11-28-09, 12:00 AM
well here's another one for y'all: is it possible to increase the time compression allowed when enemy ships are nearby? 16x near baddies and minefields hurts :(

I know in silent hunter it's a setting in a txt file somewherez