PDA

View Full Version : Game CTD's

U-46 Commander
07-14-08, 08:57 AM
I have SH3 1.4b and when i run the game, it will run for a little while then CTD. I have a intel pentium 4 processor and 2 GB of Ram.

onelifecrisis
07-14-08, 11:03 AM
I have SH3 1.4b and when i run the game, it will run for a little while then CTD. I have a intel pentium 4 processor and 2 GB of Ram.

When you say "a little while" are we talking seconds, minutes, hours?
Also what graphics/sound cards do you have?

irish1958
07-14-08, 06:41 PM
? Any Mods?

U-46 Commander
07-14-08, 10:16 PM
its about five minutes, and i have the POTD ships 2.0 and the 2.5 upgrade from steel sharks.

onelifecrisis
07-14-08, 10:18 PM
It might be caused by overheating. Are you playing on a laptop?

Contact
07-15-08, 01:25 AM
I know one guy who suffers the same issue on his laptop. After ~10 min of gameplay the game goes CTD due to unknown reasons so far.

My advice should be a clean windows reinstall, with addition of newest service packs, video drivers, directx.

I think if that was the case of overheating the pc should automatically switch off to prevent any further damages..

Anyway, wish u best luck in solving this quickly :)

onelifecrisis
07-15-08, 01:40 AM
I think if that was the case of overheating the pc should automatically switch off to prevent any further damages..

I think you're giving PC's way too much credit.

Contact
07-15-08, 03:54 AM

I think you're giving PC's way too much credit.

I don't think so, laptop or pc can be configured over bios the same way when speech is coming about overheat :p

U-46 Commander
07-15-08, 06:52 AM
It might be caused by overheating. Are you playing on a laptop?
No, I am playing with a PC, The FIC Condor.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/21390,fic-condor.aspx

kiwi_2005
07-15-08, 07:02 AM
When it crashes does it crash where you have to restart to get out of it or does it just ctd. From my experience with crashing, if it crashes where i have to hit the restart button to get out the problem would be my onboard sound or graphics card. Just a ctd (but you can still use the pc) then it would be a bug or mod causing the problem.

Letum
07-15-08, 08:09 AM
Letum's tips to prevent CTDs:
If running windows XP disable those information baloons that pop up in the taskbar. To do this see the bottom of my post.
Close down all programs you are not using. EndItAll (http://www.docsdownloads.com/enditall-1.htm) is a good program to help with this.
If you are not playing online, disconnect your PC and turn off any anti-virus or firewalls.
Be very careful when doing anything above. If you don't know what you are doing and the effects it will have, then don't do it. Any changes you make are at your own risk.
Disableing pop-up Baloons (XP ONLY).
Pop-up Baloons caused crashes on SH3 for me every time one popped up. To fix this:

Copy the following into notepad...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\... ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000000

...and save the file as disableballoons.reg
Double-click on that disableballoons.reg, restart your computer and no more balloons

The above changes fixed all my crashes and SH3 runs very stable for me now.

U-46 Commander
07-15-08, 01:39 PM
Letum's tips to prevent CTDs:
If running windows XP disable those information baloons that pop up in the taskbar. To do this see the bottom of my post.
Close down all programs you are not using. EndItAll (http://www.docsdownloads.com/enditall-1.htm) is a good program to help with this.
If you are not playing online, disconnect your PC and turn off any anti-virus or firewalls.
Be very careful when doing anything above. If you don't know what you are doing and the effects it will have, then don't do it. Any changes you make are at your own risk.
Disableing pop-up Baloons (XP ONLY).
Pop-up Baloons caused crashes on SH3 for me every time one popped up. To fix this:

Copy the following into notepad...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\... ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"EnableBalloonTips"=dword:00000000

...and save the file as disableballoons.reg
Double-click on that disableballoons.reg, restart your computer and no more balloons

The above changes fixed all my crashes and SH3 runs very stable for me now.

Thanks for the advice, but I believe it was me trying to load up an old save from another installment. When i started another career everything worked fine.