PDA

View Full Version : Version.

andym
06-29-08, 10:49 AM
I have version 1.4,is this the latest version?Or do i need to patch it.

Sailor Steve
06-29-08, 10:56 AM
Nope, 1.4 is it. Someone might mention 1.4b, but don't be fooled: the original 1.4 was only released to testers, and 1.4b is the version available now. If your game is new and it says 1.4, you're good to go.:sunny:

andym
06-29-08, 11:00 AM
Cheers,i only asked as i has the programme crash just after i had reloaded my torps after sinking a fishing boat on the 1st career mission!My laptop has more than enough oomph to run SH3 btw.

Sailor Steve
06-29-08, 11:05 AM
There are a lot of things that can cause crashes. I used to get them after sinking a ship. Turned out it was the onboard sound. A real sound card fixed it for me.

If the patch version was the problem it likely wouldn't load at all; just give you an error message.

You'll need to experiment to find out the cause. Or, if you're really lucky, someone will be along soon who has had the problem and knows the fix.

FIREWALL
06-29-08, 11:41 AM
Hi andym :D

Mine was mismatched ram sticks. Pulled out hair for two weeks before we got this figured out.

Praise Belarc. Great tool.:yep:

Jimbuna
06-29-08, 02:28 PM
Welcome aboard andym http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

I don't mean to add to your confusion but often 1.4 is referred to as 1.3 when loading....a mistake that was never rectified :lol:

andym
06-29-08, 02:38 PM
Also,do you need to have the disc in the drive when playing?

Sailor Steve
06-29-08, 02:46 PM
I have the original version, which does require the disc. Download versions, of course, do not.

I'm not sure about the more recent disc versions, but the easiest way to answer that question is to try to run the game without it. If it tells you to put it in, then you need it.

andym
06-29-08, 02:49 PM
Well both SH3&4 do actualy run without the disc in the tray,however 3 did crash and ive only just left Pearl Harbour on 4!

Sailor Steve
06-29-08, 02:51 PM
Same thing as I said before: SH4 patched to 1.4 will run without the disc, and if your version of SH3 needed it, it wouldn't crash - it wouldn't even load. You'd get a message saying "Please insert disc."

Murr44
06-29-08, 04:58 PM
Well both SH3&4 do actualy run without the disc in the tray,however 3 did crash and ive only just left Pearl Harbour on 4!

I just picked up the EMEA-EN (European English version) as I wanted a backup copy of the game & the dvd isn't not required to play after installation. It's version 1.4 so there's no need to apply any further patches. It comes in a smaller dvd case than the original release; the SH III map, Key Reference Card & the "extremely helpful" :roll: User Manual are installed on your pc as well, rather than being included as separate paper inserts. As far as I can tell, Starforce :down: isn't included on this version so you don't have to enter any dvd access codes or wait for that :damn: disk check to finish before you can start playing.

SH III seems to be kind of fussy. You should take time to read the various threads here about what to avoid doing (ie. saving while submerged, etc.) to resolve a lot of gameplay issues.