PDA

View Full Version : 30.000 in 10

Skybird
06-28-08, 09:32 AM
the storm lasted only ten minutes, but the hail of the size of pingpong-balls clusterbombed 30.000 factory-new cars at the main factory of Volkswagen:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/business/0,1518,562478,00.html

On German TV news some days ago they showed pictures from the huge parking place - and all cars in view no longer had a smooth skin anymore, but plenty of tiny round mini-craters. If all the place was affected by the weather, I would expect pratcially all the cars beeing damaged more or less. Keep your eyes open when you buy a VW in the next months. :)

Wowh, what a great design for a fly swatter that would make!

Letum
06-28-08, 10:23 AM
Why do main land Europeans often write 30.000 instead of 30,000?
It always looks like 30-point-000 to me.

Also: is it true that there is no such thing as round shoe laces in mainland Europe?

Schroeder
06-28-08, 10:53 AM
Because here the "," is standing for what you are using the "." for. For example if you have to pay 3 Euros and 50 Cents that looks like 3,50€ over here. If you want to make a large number more readable you place a "." for every thousend 3000000 is much easier to read when spelled 3.000.000 .
No idea why you have swapped it...(or did we???:hmm:).
But you are also driving on the wrong side of the road....;) (sorry, couldn't resist:rotfl:)

Skybird
06-28-08, 10:57 AM

Because 30,000 means 30-point-zero-zero-zero over here, why do you ask!? But what better should I expect of people driving on the wrong side of the road!?

Also: is it true that there is no such thing as round shoe laces in mainland Europe? No, there are round laces, and flat ones as well. But changing with fashion it is possible that in some years the one, and in other years the other is more often to be seen. currently, flat ones are more en vogue. Round laces are still existent though, both separately, or sometimes coming with new shoes.

P.S. Da hat doch jemand zeitgleich mit mir die gleichen Pointen geangelt! Lümmel...!

Letum
06-28-08, 11:27 AM
No, there are round laces, and flat ones as well. But changing with fashion it is possible that in some years the one, and in other years the other is more often to be seen. currently, flat ones are more en vogue. Round laces are still existent though, both separately, or sometimes coming with new shoes.

I heard a story that British prisoners that escaped in Germany where sometimes
spotted because they had round shoe laces, not flat, German laces.
I suppose it's either BS or times have changed.

Sailor Steve
06-28-08, 11:42 AM
I had to reread the article twice before I understood. For some reason I kept thinking it was ping-pong balls!:oops: :rotfl:

As for different punctuation and usage: Here we use the comma (,) for number separation and the period (.) for decimal places, but we drive on the 'right' side of the road.

We Yanks also use the double-apostrophe (") for quotations (we even call them quotation marks) where as the British (at least back when Ian Fleming was writing) used the single (') for original quotations and the double for secondary quotes. Fleming's publisher also talked about car "tyres" (we use "tires") and wearing "pyjamas" (we spell it "pajamas").

What other interesting differences can we find?

Schroeder
06-28-08, 11:44 AM
[quote=Letum]
P.S. Da hat doch jemand zeitgleich mit mir die gleichen Pointen geangelt! Lümmel...!

Wer zu langsam schreibt, den bestraft der Spamer.;)

Schroeder
06-28-08, 11:47 AM
What other interesting differences can we find?
Movie - Film
Color - Colour
Can - Tin
Meter - Metre (is that correct?)
And there are some more...

Err, we are getting OT.:dead:

Sailor Steve
06-28-08, 11:53 AM
Hood - Bonnet
Roof - Hood
Trunk - Boot

OT true, but how much can you say about thirty thousand (I'm not getting back into that (,) vs (.) argument again) dinged VWs?

Letum
06-28-08, 11:54 AM
Sidewalk - Pavement
Elevator - Lift

etc. etc.

The one that annoys me the most is the way so many Americans pronounce "Nietzsche".

Sailor Steve
06-28-08, 11:56 AM
In Spanish they make sure you know a question is coming by telling you in advance. I think that's pretty cool.

¿Comprende?

SUBMAN1
06-28-08, 12:05 PM
Because 30,000 means 30-point-zero-zero-zero over here, why do you ask!? But what better should I expect of people driving on the wrong side of the road!?The decimal point designates a fraction (also refered to as 'and') in the rest of the world. What planet is Germany on?

-S

RickC Sniper
06-28-08, 01:43 PM
But what better should I expect of people driving on the wrong side of the road!?

Try driving on the "other" side of the road around here and see how long you last.

:p :p

MothBalls
06-28-08, 01:50 PM
http://www.translatebritish.com/index.php

I couldn't find a Welsh translator. Seeing how all Britons are Welsh anyway, I thought this one would work.

Raptor1
06-28-08, 01:53 PM
http://www.translatebritish.com/index.php

I couldn't find a Welsh translator, seeing how all Britons are Welsh I thought someone would have one.

This thingamajig is bleedin' weird

Steel_Tomb
06-28-08, 02:32 PM
Holy crap, that's some serious weather! Wouldn't like to get caught out of my bike in that! Lol just the small ones feel like bullets!

Jimbuna
06-28-08, 02:36 PM
Thankfully, I recently purchased a new Ford :lol:

Sailor Steve
06-28-08, 02:37 PM
I could use a new VW, and don't care about how it looks. I wonder if they'd make me a deal?

Platapus
06-28-08, 03:06 PM
But you are also driving on the wrong side of the road....;) (sorry, couldn't resist:rotfl:)

That's it. It's fargin war!

To arms! To arms!! One if by land, two if by internet (or something like that):arrgh!:

Jimbuna
06-28-08, 03:12 PM
I could use a new VW, and don't care about how it looks. I wonder if they'd make me a deal?

Ask them about their special deals on lunar landscape body finishes :p

Schroeder
06-28-08, 03:50 PM
The decimal point designates a fraction (also refered to as 'and') in the rest of the world. What planet is Germany on?

-S
And here I was thinking the US was always trying to be something special and unique.

Oh hell, this thread is getting dangerous....

http://www.smilevalley.de/smileys/Gemischt/347.gif (http://www.smilevalley.de)

:rotfl: