PDA

View Full Version : Watch at this beauty!

Respenus
06-26-08, 10:02 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7475687.stm

Nothing more to say.

rifleman13
06-26-08, 10:10 AM
She's a beauty alright!:up:

But the C-130 Hercules can haul more goods!:rock:

Tchocky
06-26-08, 10:10 AM
I remember walking around a mockup of the RAF's Future Large Aircraft at Farnborough 1994. This plane's been a long time coming.

Rifleman - the A400m can haul 37 tonnes, the C-130 33. Not much of a difference, mind.

rifleman13
06-26-08, 10:34 AM
Oops!:damn:

Just looked at Wikipedia and looked at the A400M's Maximum Payload and compared it with the C-130H's Maximum Takeoff Weight and confused the two! Sorry!:doh:

But to remind you of some troubles at Airbus, they entered a bid with the Canadians but they failed and the Canadians instead bought C-130J's and C-17s.:yep:

I antagonize with Airbus so much because of the 2-year delays and the incessant showing of reruns featuring the A380 in Discovery Channel Asia!:nope:

Schroeder
06-26-08, 01:27 PM
IIRC Boeing has some problems with delays too, don't they?

Platapus
06-26-08, 01:40 PM
Eight blades per engine.

Interesting design, hope it serves the various militaries well

mrbeast
06-26-08, 02:38 PM
Eight blades per engine.

I was just thinking about the 8 bladed props, thats gotta be the most I've ever seen on an engine.

Does anyone have any info about the thinking behind that? I'm assuming its for efficiency reasons.

Raptor1
06-26-08, 02:56 PM
I was wondering too, couldn't find anything

Wolfehunter
06-26-08, 08:15 PM
Same here very interesting design. Looks cool.:yep:

Sailor Steve
06-26-08, 08:41 PM
Eight blades per engine.

I was just thinking about the 8 bladed props, thats gotta be the most I've ever seen on an engine.

Does anyone have any info about the thinking behind that? I'm assuming its for efficiency reasons.
A modern high-bypass turbofan has compressor blades which are larger than the rest of the engine, which aids by producing extra thrust, a la a propellor. It also sounds something like a propellor. This looks like it is meant to take that function even further.

August
06-26-08, 10:32 PM
Eight blades per engine.

Does anyone have any info about the thinking behind that? I'm assuming its for efficiency reasons. A modern high-bypass turbofan has compressor blades which are larger than the rest of the engine, which aids by producing extra thrust, a la a propellor. It also sounds something like a propellor. This looks like it is meant to take that function even further.

I bet it has a very distinctive sound to it.

AntEater
06-27-08, 05:18 AM
I was allready thinking the A 400M would never see the light of day!
10 years of CGI animations finally come to an end :)
From the An-72 controversy (the ukraine basically had the same aircraft ready for serial production) to budget cuts the A 400M survived a lot.
Strange that the gestation phase of a modern military project seems to be as long as its service phase. Especially strange since no one has yet started a replacement program for the Eurofighter or the A 400M.
One of the greatest "fails" in media history was when the german weekly "Focus" published a CGI picture of an A 400M refuelling two Eurofighters and captioned it: "the A 400M can tow planes in the air"
:rotfl::damn:

Schroeder
06-27-08, 10:18 AM
One of the greatest "fails" in media history was when the german weekly "Focus" published a CGI picture of an A 400M refuelling two Eurofighters and captioned it: "the A 400M can tow planes in the air"
:rotfl::damn: Ouch!!
Facts, Facts, Facts.... isn't that their slogan?:rotfl:

Platapus
06-27-08, 03:18 PM
:rotfl::damn: Ouch!!
Facts, Facts, Facts.... isn't that their slogan?:rotfl:

Those reporters from the "Focus" were idiots. It was clear that the two Eurofighters were pushing the tanker. It must have been tired or something.

sheeesh

SUBMAN1
06-27-08, 03:23 PM
Hey!!! They copied the C-130!!! Cheaters!

-S