PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow the greatest maritime museum collection worldwide reopens

Skybird
06-25-08, 06:45 AM
In Hamburg.

http://www.internationales-maritimes-museum.de/

On officially nine floors ("decks", but in fact there are eleven), the museum offers - amongst others - these items:

1000 huge models of ships,
36 000 miniature models scale 1:1250
5000 paintings, graphics, waterpaintings
50 000 construction blueprints
120 000 books
2000 films
500 000 photographies
15 000 menu cards (!)
36 precious "Knochenschiffe"

biggest model : „Wappen von Hamburg III“, Length 4,3 meter
biggest exhibit: 2-man-submarine, type „Seehund“, length: 12 Meter
smallest exhibit: model of a jolly boat, ca. 5 millimeter.

An old Hanse city always is worth a travel. I recommend - in this order - Lübeck, Hamburg, Wismar, and Danzig.

August
06-25-08, 07:18 AM
I'd say the title for the "Greatest maritime museum worldwide" goes to The National Maritime Museum in Greenwich England with over 2 MILLION objects and enormous reference library.

mrbeast
06-25-08, 05:26 PM
The Maritime Museum at the Albert Dock in Liverpool is pretty good too, and of course theres always the brilliant Historic dockyard at Portsmouth. I was down there earlier this month, only had time for relatively quick walk about unfortunately, didn't go aboard any of the ships but saw HMS Victory and HMS Warrior from the outside plus one of Victory's sails on display (the only one in existance from Trafalgar). There was also a German frigate in port on a visit plus many RN ships coming, going and docked including a couple of carriers. :cool:

I have to admit my chest did swell a little with pride when I saw HMS Victory, what a ship! :D :arrgh!:

Skybird, the Hamburg Museum sounds very good, especially the models, if I'm ever around there I'll try and give it a look.:up:

Skybird
06-25-08, 08:05 PM
Skybird, the Hamburg Museum sounds very good, especially the models, if I'm ever around there I'll try and give it a look.:up:
Don't know it myself, I can only repeat what some media were reporting. as I said, the cities also are worth a visit themselves (if museums are not your thing :) ).

Etienne
06-25-08, 08:29 PM
Don't know it myself, I can only repeat what some media were reporting. as I said, the cities also are worth a visit themselves (if museums are not your thing :) ).

Germany's a beautiful country indeed. Sadly, their cargo handling is extremely efficient, and I've never had a chance to visit much. Went shopping for suitcases in Brunsbuttle, that's the size of it...