PDA

View Full Version : Deadliest Catch Alaskan Storm

FIREWALL
06-14-08, 03:11 PM
Got this game when SubSim was down.

At $40.00 it was a little pricey but gameplay made it IMHO worth it.

Here's a link to learn more about it.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/game/alaskan-storm/alaskan-storm.html

Raptor1
06-14-08, 03:29 PM
It's out?!?!?!?!

FIREWALL
06-14-08, 03:50 PM
Yep :yep: Got it at my local GameStop store.

As I stated it was pricey but, I'm sure it will go down.

I needed a fix while S.S. was down. :D

Special FeaturesCareer Mode: Realistic and challenging simulation for gamers and Deadliest Catch fans
Missions: Gamers experience the hard core Bering Sea life, including participation in United States Coast Guard search and rescue missions and ice flow navigation
Arcade Mini-Games: Allows casual gamers to enjoy fun challenges, including crab boat races and skiff races
Five Authentic Crab Boats (including Northwestern and Cornelia Marie)
Twenty Real Fishermen (including Edgar and Norman Hansen, Josh and Jake Harris)
Six Authentic Captains (including Captains Sig Hansen, Phil Harris and Larry Hendricks)
4,500 lines of recorded character dialogue
United States Coast Guard Search and Rescues (First time in a video game)
Captain the 370ft. USCG Cutter Mellon
Throw-the-Hook Mini-Game
Skiff Racing Mini-Game
34,000 Miles Actual Coastline
Four Real Bering Sea Harbors (Akutan, Dutch Harbor, King Cove and St. Paul)
Interactive Virtual Tour Northwestern Crab Boat
100 Exclusive Crew Videos
Online multiplayer

Sonarman
06-14-08, 06:36 PM
Was it the X360 version or the PC version? I had heard the X360 version had hit stores today but the PC version was still some weeks away

GlobalExplorer
06-15-08, 03:25 AM
I am interested in the first reviews (personal and from magazine). Really looking forward to this game.

Raptor1
06-15-08, 03:28 AM
Even though these kinds of games get screwed up really easily by money-hungry project managers and companies, I'm really looking forward to this one

Midnight Hunter
06-15-08, 03:19 PM
Sure wish there a gamestop around here cause there is NO other store in Canada carrying it yet.. unavailable anywhere :P

GlobalExplorer
06-16-08, 12:03 PM
Could someone please write a review? I am really looking forward what the subsim hivemind has to say to this.

And are there any online reviews yet?

EDIT: I just found this:

http://www.daddyplace.com/index.php?page=30

and I like this:

Conclusion

This game is not for the person that lives and thrives off of Call of Duty 4 or Halo 3. This game is for fans of the TV shows and people that are into simulation games. Alaskan Storm does a great job of capturing every aspect of being a captain and crab fisherman of the Bering Sea. This game is one like the Xbox community has never seen before and a welcome edition to my shelf of games.

Midnight Hunter
06-16-08, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the review.. give me something to read until the game ships to the western half of Canada :P :doh:

Raptor1
06-16-08, 12:31 PM
Exactly what I expected

EDIT: watashi wa samurai desu

FIREWALL
06-17-08, 10:32 AM
Check out this review. And yes I got PC version.

http://www.gamershell.com/articles/1050.html

Midnight Hunter
06-17-08, 10:55 AM
*drool* sure wish someone out west had the game here in Canada... grrrr... by the time I order it online it will probably be here anyways and for way less that I would order it for.. but........... must............have.............game!!!!! :damn:

***edit*** you guys who have it are sure lucky.. according to both gamestop.com and amazion.com the game was not to be shipped or released until the 19th (today) for xbox and the 26th for the PC... somebody somewhere made a boo boo... explains why I can't find it anywhere up here in the great white north :P

Justink
06-19-08, 11:44 AM

How'd you get the PC version? I've been following this game since May and thought they were releasing it next week.

FIREWALL
06-19-08, 11:48 AM

How'd you get the PC version? I've been following this game since May and thought they were releasing it next week.

Refer to post #3:D

Justink
06-19-08, 11:51 AM
I know, LOL, I'll stop by my local gamestop tomorrow and see if they have it. I hope this sim won't dissapoint me like so many other titles I've eagerly waited for.

FIREWALL
06-19-08, 11:59 AM
I know, LOL, I'll stop by my local gamestop tomorrow and see if they have it. I hope this sim won't dissapoint me like so many other titles I've eagerly waited for.

Hi Justink :D I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with it.

Like I said ,It's Pricey. That's the downer IMHO.

It's weird that the console version is already on Ebay.

Justink
06-19-08, 12:31 PM
I don't think it's that pricey. I paid $50 for Sh4 about this time last year and was slightly disappointed (the mods that have been made recently improved the sim slightly), so $40 for a game that I know is really good won't be that bad. I just hope they made a mistake and stocked the PC version at my local gamestop because I don't know what I'm going to do while waiting for another week. My only disappointment is that two of my favorite boats (Wizard and Time Bandit) aren't included, and that the customize boat feature isn't as in depth as I thought it would be. Otherwise, it seems to be a pretty solid sim.

FIREWALL
06-19-08, 12:41 PM
I don't think it's that pricey. I paid $50 for Sh4 about this time last year and was slightly disappointed (the mods that have been made recently improved the sim slightly), so $40 for a game that I know is really good won't be that bad. I just hope they made a mistake and stocked the PC version at my local gamestop because I don't know what I'm going to do while waiting for another week. My only disappointment is that two of my favorite boats (Wizard and Time Bandit) aren't included, and that the customize boat feature isn't as in depth as I thought it would be. Otherwise, it seems to be a pretty solid sim.

What neck of the woods are you from ? I'm in Southern California.

I haven't checked at my local BestBuy. And they useally have a good selection of PC games. Beware tho, their all different.

Justink
06-19-08, 01:25 PM
North Carolina, near Charlotte. I had been hoping they have it in at Best Buy so I can use a gift card and save some money. Again, I'll check around, but I absolutely hate going to Best Buy.

FIREWALL
06-19-08, 01:40 PM
North Carolina, near Charlotte. I had been hoping they have it in at Best Buy so I can use a gift card and save some money. Again, I'll check around, but I absolutely hate going to Best Buy.

Sorry to hear you don't like your BestBuy.

Like I said each one seems to be different.

I so far have had good experience with mine. :yep:

Justink
06-19-08, 02:26 PM
I'm fine with the store since it has the best selection of PC games in the area, but I'm not fine with the people working there. Although, I'll just suck it up since going there will save me money, but I'll have to wait until the 26th. What confuses me is that if you got a PC copy, then that means it must have already shipped out, yet the release is a week from now. Why are they hoarding Alaskan Storm then? :huh: :D

bandi
06-20-08, 08:00 AM
Anyone Running the 360 version ?... My PC has
been too damn' glitchy as of late to trust any
lenght of play without a bluescreen... anyway...

I have been trying to find if there is any difference
between the console and PC versions, as I would
hate to miss out... And then there is the mods'
that will no doubt be coming out for the PC version...

:cheers:

XLjedi
06-20-08, 08:24 AM
I have to buy this one just to cast my dollar votes of approval for a simulation effort on the consoles. :up:

I'll probably buy a console and a PC version. :yep:

Sonarman
06-20-08, 08:25 AM
Apparently the xbox360 version & PC versions are identical except that the PC has no multiplayer component. The developers have however stated that the graphics on the PC may be slightly better and early reviews suggest some sluggish drops in Xbox framerates so if you can live without multiplayer PC is probably the way to go.

I also agree with aaronblood's comment, it's good to finally see a simulation game appear on a console, hopefully it will prove the marketers wrong in their assertions that today's youth do not want simulation games.

Midnight Hunter
06-20-08, 12:27 PM
Apparently the xbox360 version & PC versions are identical except that the PC has no multiplayer component.

WHY!!!

What is the point of this..... god this pisses me off. I was buying it for PC strictly because I refuse to pay Micro$oft to play online on the xbox against a bunch of 13 year olds 't4lk1ng l1k3 7h15' :down:

Stupidest decision ever.. no multiplayer on a PC game... geez. :damn:

bandi
06-20-08, 01:06 PM
Apparently the xbox360 version & PC versions are identical except that the PC has no multiplayer component. .....

Appreciate the info !...

I'll prolly get the 360version, and if/when more
mods or such come up, I can always head out
and pick up the PC then... This will let allow my
youngest to jump in and play when he wants
also...

Soooo.... when will the torpedo mod be ready ?

:arrgh!:

FIREWALL
06-20-08, 01:58 PM
Hi All :D

I will explain on another post how I got DC if anyone's interested later.

I can't comment on the console version but, on the PC version I understand there will be a modding frenzy.

This game is also ripe for add-ons.

And why not. The BigBoys do it all the time. :p

GlobalExplorer
06-20-08, 02:56 PM
.. version I understand there will be a modding frenzy.

This game is also ripe for add-ons.

And why not. The BigBoys do it all the time. :p

You mean you checked out the files? That would be - really - good news because so far the only candidate (Ship Simulator) was completely unmoddable. I still dream of modding a treasure hunting sim ;)

And why are you guys so tight ars_d about telling us more about this game? Are you too busy playing this game all day or what? I am in germany so I still have months / weeks before I can buy it so it would be nice to hear something ..

Skyhawk
06-21-08, 09:42 PM
Hmm: http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=647352

Your gamestop must have gotten an early shipment. According to the Gamestop website if you preorder it, it won't ship until the 26th. Which is also the latest official release date for the game. Not in stock at my local Gamestop, been keeping my eye on this one also. To be clear, this is the PC version I'm referring to.

Go figure . . .:hmm:

birdy
06-24-08, 06:52 AM
Can anyone post some screenshots or video's?
still have to wait here for the pc version to come out:cry:

Sonarman
06-24-08, 08:40 AM
According to Scott one of the publishing team at Greenwave Games the PC version of the game has now been put back with a new release date of around 15th July. Presumably the developers are addressing some of the issues that players/reviewers have highlighted in the X360 release of the game.

Justink
06-24-08, 06:37 PM
According to Scott one of the publishing team at Greenwave Games the PC version of the game has now been put back with a new release date of around 15th July. Presumably the developers are addressing some of the issues that players/reviewers have highlighted in the X360 release of the game.

What?! That's horrible. They've been pushing this game back a lot, but I guess it
'll be better if they get some things fixed.

FIREWALL
06-24-08, 07:01 PM

I'm afraid you got some bad info.

I'm holding the PC version in my hand now. :yep: :D

From Post #27 > I will explain on another post how I got DC if anyone's interested later.

Justink
06-24-08, 07:22 PM
Alright then, how did you get the PC version? I really doubt this is bad info since this Scott is a member of Greenwave.

FIREWALL
06-24-08, 07:42 PM
Alright then, how did you get the PC version? I really doubt this is bad info since this Scott is a member of Greenwave.

The guy who runs my local Gamestop is a friend and drinking buddy of mine.

He said it isn't released yet as are other games shipped to them and are not to be sold until release date.

So much for good ole scott.:)

Justink
06-24-08, 07:51 PM
I knew it! But...wait...now I'm confused. Is the July 15th thing a joke, or do some stores have it and they're waiting 3 weeks to ship to elsewhere... I heard about the news today, and confirmed the July 15th thing on Greenwave's forum...but I also heard something about Navarre doing the publishing, also, none of the sites selling the game and taking pre-orders have changed from June 26th (I have an IGN countdown running on my desktop saying 1 Day 3 Hours 1 Minute). Either something doesn't add up or I'm just following this game too closely. :damn: :hmm: :dead:

Raptor1
06-25-08, 05:37 AM
It's all caused by a damned temporal anomaly that might or might not create a paradox in time tomorrow when the game is released

birdy
06-26-08, 02:06 PM
It's all caused by a damned temporal anomaly that might or might not create a paradox in time tomorrow when the game is released

indeed, thats it:know:

but when the release date is now 15th juli, and all the stores allready have the game, what is the point of changing the release date then?

does any1 has some official confirmed info?

Justink
06-26-08, 07:08 PM
From what I've seen from the Greenwave forums, the release is indeed July 15th (now...who knows what it will be when July 15th comes). They claim they need to take care of the 360 users and their probs first. I'll try and e-mail someone and see if the game has actually shipped for the PC, but from what I've seen, it seems like it hasn't. As I've said before, I'm completely confused by this whole thing.

Raptor1
06-27-08, 05:52 AM
It's all a mess caused by the universe folding in on itself just before it's final implosion

Anyway, I'll try to search around too

GlobalExplorer
06-27-08, 06:37 AM
Well it looks like some units of the pc version got shipped by accident. This happened before (think sfp1 and the walmart disaster), and usually no reason to rejoice if you got one of those copies.

I must wait until the pc version is released, and then some more until it is available in europe, so at least a month before I can test this baby. It's not too long considering this game was announced some months ago, haven't we seen much worse?

FIREWALL
06-27-08, 12:00 PM
First , I don't feel ashamed about getting it early. :yep:

As to the game it self it has about the same pattern as most other games.

1. Objectives

2. Rewards

3. Penalties

4. The X factor ( Do you spend $ on bigger boat and less expert crew or vice versa or any mix in between) which can effect the out come.

I won't go into the Coast Gaurd or boat races now as it's just glitz.

The game LongHaul a recent purchase comes to mind as it runs along the same pattern.

IMHO I don't think it's worth the money. I know, I know it's easy for me to say cause I got the game.

I'm seriously thinking about asking my friend to take it back and waiting until it's in the ebay bargin bin.

Midnight Hunter
07-02-08, 10:57 AM
FINALLY!!!! A week after the official release date and western Canada FINALLY gets some copies :P Was worth the wait though.. spent so manyhours last night trolling for crab. Had some good fun... havent found any killer waves yet but I did have my entire deck crew fly across the deck and land on thier asses lol... was quite the sight lol

birdy
07-04-08, 04:55 AM
FINALLY!!!! A week after the official release date and western Canada FINALLY gets some copies :P Was worth the wait though.. spent so manyhours last night trolling for crab. Had some good fun... havent found any killer waves yet but I did have my entire deck crew fly across the deck and land on thier asses lol... was quite the sight lol

can you please post some screens:D
still waiting for the release here...:damn:

Midnight Hunter
07-04-08, 05:27 PM
mine is the xbox 360 version and I have no way to take any screenies of it... If I can find a way I will do what I can for you :up:

Tikigod
07-07-08, 01:58 PM
Where did you get this information from? On Gamestop they claim on the product description that the PC Version does have multiplayer.

"Challenge your friends in intense online multiplayer competitions to see who will be the season's high liner. "

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=71449

Apparently the xbox360 version & PC versions are identical except that the PC has no multiplayer component. The developers have however stated that the graphics on the PC may be slightly better and early reviews suggest some sluggish drops in Xbox framerates so if you can live without multiplayer PC is probably the way to go.

I also agree with aaronblood's comment, it's good to finally see a simulation game appear on a console, hopefully it will prove the marketers wrong in their assertions that today's youth do not want simulation games.

TheSatyr
07-15-08, 09:45 AM
According to Amazon.com the pc version has been pushed back to July 29th now.

Raptor1
07-15-08, 12:47 PM
I'm beginning to doubt the existence of this game

It's all lies I tellz you!

GlobalExplorer
07-15-08, 12:52 PM
According to Amazon.com the pc version has been pushed back to July 29th now.

What year?

birdy
07-26-08, 10:43 AM
a demo has been released:

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/game/alaskan-storm/alaskan-storm.html

in my opinion its a bit a stupid demo, you can only play 1 tutorial mission and a mission where you race with a small boat. I finished the demo in 15 mins:o

Hope the game will release soon

TheSatyr
07-29-08, 09:27 AM
Delayed again till the 12th of August. Not their fault this time. Walmart has begun a new policy that all PC games must now come in the same size boxes as the X-Box and PS3 games...and since Walmart is close to 25% of all video game sales...what Walmart wants Walmart gets.

This time the delay is for packaging reasons.

Raptor1
07-29-08, 01:18 PM
Delayed again till the 12th of August. Not their fault this time. Walmart has begun a new policy that all PC games must now come in the same size boxes as the X-Box and PS3 games...and since Walmart is close to 25% of all video game sales...what Walmart wants Walmart gets.

This time the delay is for packaging reasons.

It's all excuses, the game doesn't exist and they keep delaying because they're thinking how they can get out of this situation

birdy
07-29-08, 01:29 PM
ffs not again!:damn: :damn:

why do they always tell this on the release date?:down:

Etienne
07-29-08, 02:53 PM
It's all excuses, the game doesn't exist and they keep delaying because they're thinking how they can get out of this situation

Except it's already out on the XBox, isn't it?

FIREWALL
07-29-08, 03:18 PM
Doe's anybody bother to read any of the posts in this thread that answers most if not all questions. :roll:

Raptor1
07-29-08, 03:20 PM
Except it's already out on the XBox, isn't it?

It's all liez, liez I tellz you! :D

Tikigod
08-02-08, 10:01 PM
Anyone try the PC version of this game yet? Is it any good?

TheSatyr
08-02-08, 11:07 PM
PC version hasn't been released yet.

Task Force
08-02-08, 11:10 PM
Stupit wal-mart policys.:lol:

JALU3
08-03-08, 11:00 PM
OK . . . I have pre-ordered this, but still have the option to rescind it . . . should I have them ship it to me . . . or should I cancel due to this delay? Basically is it worth my $$ before SPORE comes out?

birdy
08-10-08, 01:51 PM
any news on the release date?
is it still 12 august?

TheSatyr
08-13-08, 06:58 PM
August 19th now...and I'm losing interest. All the delays do not bode well.

Sonarman
08-13-08, 07:15 PM
All the delays do not bode well.

I think it's a good thing, the xbox guys have beta tested the game for us and many of the bugs that plagued that version have now been corrected. The game is now ready for PC and would have made its 12th August release date but at the last moment the publisher was not happy with the quality of the printing on the discs and demanded a new batch.

Raptor1
08-13-08, 07:27 PM
Basically, they're all doing this to "satisfy" their "costumers"

I smell a "conspiracy"

Task Force
08-13-08, 07:30 PM
I also read something about walmart complaining about the packageing, I also am realy starting to lose intrest in the game.

birdy
08-14-08, 12:57 AM
yep me2,
i dont mind that the release date changes sometimes, but with this game it has been changed for 3 times or something. when it doesnt release on the 19th, i wont buy it i think

TheSatyr
08-14-08, 10:42 AM
The new packaging for Walmart was why the release date was moved back to the 12th...got no clue what this new delay is for.

As an aside,the Walmart near me has basically cleared out their pc game section. Looks like they are waiting for all the game publishers to release and re-release their products under Walmart's new packaging code.

Unfortunately,I live in a small town and Walmart is just about all we have out here...unless I want to drive the hour and a half to two hours to go to South St. Louis.

FIREWALL
08-14-08, 11:31 AM
Deadliest Catch is a dog.

If you have to have it wait till it's in the eBay bargain.:yep:

TheSatyr
08-14-08, 03:12 PM
I've been holding back on this...but the why the hell should I or anyone else listen to someone who has an illegal alpha or beta copy? I talked to the devs...there was never an "accidental" release of the pc version.

In fact,at the time you "claim" to have gotten it,they were still coding the pc version.

I don't really care what your excuse is for having it...but I trust the devs over you or anyone else in this matter...Either you are badmouthing a game you never played...or you have an illegal copy...end of story.

GlobalExplorer
08-15-08, 04:30 AM
I can't download the demo from discovery channel site, it always stops at 16 MB.

GlobalExplorer
08-15-08, 04:31 AM
I've been holding back on this...but the why the hell should I or anyone else listen to someone who has an illegal alpha or beta copy? I talked to the devs...there was never an "accidental" release of the pc version.

In fact,at the time you "claim" to have gotten it,they were still coding the pc version.

I don't really care what your excuse is for having it...but I trust the devs over you or anyone else in this matter...Either you are badmouthing a game you never played...or you have an illegal copy...end of story.

If you check 1 page back you will see Firewall got one of the copies released early.

Etienne
08-17-08, 07:48 AM
If you check 1 page back you will see Firewall got one of the copies released early.

If you read the post you just quoted, you will see it was impossible for Firewall to get it at that date.

Either somebody's making a mistake, or somebody's lying. Welcome to the internet!

As for the wait, are you all too young to remember the wait for DC? Not only was SHII delayed for months, we had to wait even longer for DC. Didn't turn out to be the game of the century, tho, so maybe that's a bad exemple...

stabiz
08-17-08, 09:21 AM
Judging by the demo, it wont even be the game of the week. And whats the point in releasing a demo that wastly differs from the full game? Thus I conclude the game is bad.

birdy
08-17-08, 04:21 PM
Judging by the demo, it wont even be the game of the week. And whats the point in releasing a demo that wastly differs from the full game? Thus I conclude the game is bad.

well i think you cant judge the game by the demo.
the demo didnt even conclude the fishing part....

Sonarman
08-20-08, 03:58 AM
The official forum for the game reports that the game has now been released on the PC and should be in stock/on it's way to retailers now.

birdy
08-20-08, 03:53 PM
yes finnaly got it:D

i think its good that the game was delayed this much, no bugs to find at all.
Its also good gameplay and graphics.
already on my 3rd season:p

JALU3
08-21-08, 09:31 AM

Would you recommend its purchase?

GlobalExplorer
08-21-08, 01:09 PM
Yes please bring on the reviews, I am tired of this.

GlobalExplorer
08-21-08, 01:19 PM
nevermind, I just found a forum for this game:

http://www.greenwavegames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

birdy
08-21-08, 03:14 PM

Would you recommend its purchase?

uhm, i think its not really boring, but its not worth 60 dollars. its a good game but it isnt really exciting and there isnt much in it. If you like the series and like a bit "boring" games like ship simulator or something, i would recommended it:up:

oh and btw, im now at my 5th season and i never got any rain and bad weather!
maybe im lucky or is it a bug??
can any1 confirm it?

birdy
08-22-08, 08:40 AM
well i think its a bug:nope:
sometimes i hear rain falling, but i dont see it and the crew doesnt show that it is raining (no hats and stuff)

i hope they fix it soon because this is a really big bug. it really affects the gameplay imo.
i wonder how they could have missed that:hmm:

GlobalExplorer
11-30-08, 11:36 AM
What happened with this game???

Raptor1
11-30-08, 11:37 AM
People like returning threads from the dead lately...

Anyway, it's out, never tried it though

GlobalExplorer
12-05-08, 01:57 PM
It's out but no one sells it. I searched german retailers, as well as uk one's. Nothing.

No reviews either.

Previews were promising, but it seems something went terribly wrong here.

Task Force
12-05-08, 05:20 PM
Games alright. type of game you play acouple of hours every couple of days.:yep: Got mine from, direct2drive.

TheSatyr
12-21-08, 06:48 AM
The game got old real fast. There was some talk of patching in a few new boats and new fishing rules,but nothing ever happened. The devs or the pub apparently decided not to support the game. (In my view...no support...no play).

Task Force
12-21-08, 01:04 PM
Yea, this game was soon forgotten.

GlobalExplorer
02-13-09, 08:20 PM
I really don't get why they did not release it outside the US, or make a patch. I played the demo and it seems a really interesting sim with strategy, rpg elements and without combat.

Task Force
02-13-09, 08:22 PM
Yea, well, Maby in the far future that will happen.

Castout
02-15-09, 06:32 AM
Ash when I wanted to see some sea I just go into my SH3 world. Very relaxing. I hate Nazis but I must admit they did have good submarines, tanks and planes.

CaptainHaplo
02-25-09, 10:42 PM
Resurected again - this thread caused me to get the game. I haven't played but a few days - and yes its a game you play for an hour or so and then do something else. This is because the fishing IS repetative most of the time, at least on the easier levels.

Then again - when you pull in 3/4 of a Mil in one season of king crab fishing - and have about half a mill left after you pay the crew, you get the itch to fish more.

I haven't seen any RPG elements in here - but maybe I havent played long enough yet.

The game IS fun - if you find it like I did for $20 bucks, I would say pick it up. Thats a fair price.

The game is not entirely bug free, but the one bug I have identified isnt a game stopper by any means. Its merely odd to see gulls continuing to circle your boat after you have been at sea for 36+ hours when your far from land. No CTD's.

There is some strategy involved, but its mostly a straightforward type of game.

Highbury
02-26-09, 12:58 AM
The one thing I didn't like was that each season got progressively harder (rougher weather), as opposed to a more realistic random weather pattern each time. Someone did make an editor for the game which allows you to set the weather for each season so you can make them random, all calm.. all rough, whatever you like. You can even set the quota for each season.

It is on the Greenwave Forums (http://www.greenwavegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944) but it is an attachment so you will have to be registered.

CaptainHaplo
02-26-09, 10:38 PM
I do have one really weird bug. If I load a saved game, the visual sends me spinning (like I am holding down the right mouse button and panning the camera VERY rapidly in circles). Anyone seen this and have a fix? Sometimes exiting and reloading the game fixes it.

Etienne
02-28-09, 11:40 AM
The game is not entirely bug free, but the one bug I have identified isnt a game stopper by any means. Its merely odd to see gulls continuing to circle your boat after you have been at sea for 36+ hours when your far from land. No CTD's.

Sea gulls will stick to fishing boats for a long, long time. They eat whatever scraps they can smell. I don't know if it's realistic, but they stick around for a helluva long time... And I've seen bird perched on cargo boats long after we were outside their range to reach land.

As for hte game itself... Meh. It's good looking, the bad weather looks like, well, bad weather, and it does a pretty good job of simulating ship handling (Except when you lose someone overboard). The NFU controls annoy the **** out of me, tho.

Otherwise, it gets real boring real quick. I bought all the improvements for my boat after a season or two, and the crew is so injury prone it's not even funny. Had the coasts guard show up twice to pick up people, once, and that was after I'd had someone go over the side and die. The crew also get tired way too quickly, if you compare to the TV show (And real life. I wish I could start bitching about working too hard after only six hours!)

A note on people going over board... It is RIDICULOUSLY easy to pick 'em up. I've only had one person die out of 4 or 5. Essentially, as soon as you get the MOB message, jam her in reverse. She stops in like half a boat lenght, even in the roughest weather. Pick the guy up and move. There's no need to do a Williamson or anything like that... Compared to real life, where (At least on cargo ships) it's assumed that if you go over the side, you're dead. Not that we don't try...

As for strategy, they give you a chart telling you were the crab is, so it's not THAT hard. Boat customization is BS (You get to change two colors. Woopee), and the four boats... Well, you have forward and after cab, big and small boat. Otherwise, they're pretty much all the same to me. Crew interactions are fun, and managing breakdowns can be a challenge - But your boat either breaks down all the time (First few seasons) or not at all (Later season, when all you can do with the money is pour it back into the boat)

I liked that game. I really did.

Then it got boring, and... Well, that was it. Definetly not a full price purchase, but if it's in a bundle or the budget bin, it's worth a go. It's like a really complex version of mine sweeper.

CaptainHaplo
03-01-09, 02:00 PM
Found the fix for the spinning on load issue. This game must use the Unreal engine somehow - it has the same issue as other games using U - unplug your game controller. I had the same exact problem in BIA Hell's Highway too - until I undid my USB joystick. Grrrrr.