PDA

View Full Version : external reserve torpedos

LeChuck
06-06-08, 10:36 PM
excuse me gents but i am new to shIII how do you load external reserve torps?:roll:

FIREWALL
06-06-08, 10:44 PM
Hi LeChuck Welcome Aboard :D

First you have to be surfaced. Second you have torpedo room filled with crew.

Third hit I key and drag torpedos to lower right tubes.

I'm lousy at typeing and explaining stuff.

I hope this helps.

HW3
06-06-08, 11:03 PM
As FIREWALL said above but, you can not load directly into the tubes. You have to drag them into a empty internal reserve slot first then they will be loaded into a tube from there.

FIREWALL
06-07-08, 12:07 AM
Yup Thats what you call those things. Thx HW3 :up:

Von Manteuffel
06-07-08, 04:22 AM
As has been said:

a) you need crew in the appropriate torpedo room
b) you need to be on the surface ( unfortunately for realism, the weather doesn't
matter )
c) you need an officer in the WP ( Weapons Officer ) station in the Control Room

Click on the Weapons Officer main icon ( lower left usually )
Then click on the "torpedo" item in the menu which appears just above the main icons. (It looks like 3 torpedoes stacked one on top of each other.)

This will brng up a torpedo loading screen. You'll see the state of your tubes and reserves, including the reserve(s) housed on deck.

Just left click on a deck reserve torpedo, hold the mouse button and drag the torpedo graphic into an empty storage slot - NOT AN EMPTY TUBE.

The deck reserve graphic should grey out to show that the transfer is in operation.

If it doesn't; keep trying the drag and drop. You have to be fairly precise in lining up the graphic you're dragging with the empty torpedo-shaped slot.

It takes quite a time to transfer these torpedoes. If you have to dive during the transfer, all your crew are safe, but you have to start the whole process over again next time you surface.

Finally, If your torpedo-room crew have tubes to reload as well as outside reserves to transfer inboard, they will always load tubes first, then move the reserves.

Good luck.

P.S. Any modder reading this, is there any way - as with the deck-gun - of making the inboard transfer of deck-reserve torpedoes weather dependent. i.e. if the seas are too rough, you can't do it? PLEASE!

For me it's a major irritation that even in the teeth of an Atlantic gale, with huge waves breaking over the conning tower and the Nav Officer regularly chanting " Current depth ten metres" even though we're surfaced, I can still transfer deck-housed torpedoes into the bowels of the torpedo room below as though I'm chugging across a mill-pond.

As we say where I come from. It's proper puddled! ( Trans: It's ridiculous in the extreme)

Mittelwaechter
06-07-08, 07:14 AM
Well, Herr Kaleun, it's your decision to load externals at 15 m/s or not.
Don't let you be ruled by the game, Sir!

Simply follow your own rules:
external reload only at 3 m/s or lower;
man the deckgun to load the externals - at least two torpedo qualified;
first half of the reloading time: under attack stay surfaced for three minutes; keep the deckgun manned; shoot the torpedo later to simulate its loss.
second half of the reloading time: don't dive at all; get your crew in after three minutes or let them work to enable your dive

No need to be enforced by the game!

Sailor Steve
06-07-08, 09:45 AM
Mittelwaechter, those are some pretty good rules! I always do transfers in calm seas and at a full stop, but the three-minute ideas are new to me. I'll be using them in the future.

Brag
06-07-08, 09:50 AM
Welcome aboard, LeChuck. :D

Von Manteuffel
06-08-08, 01:31 PM
Simply follow your own rules:
external reload only at 3 m/s or lower;
man the deckgun to load the externals - at least two torpedo qualified;
first half of the reloading time: under attack stay surfaced for three minutes; keep the deckgun manned; shoot the torpedo later to simulate its loss.
second half of the reloading time: don't dive at all; get your crew in after three minutes or let them work to enable your dive

An excellent work-around, Mittelwaechter. My sincere compliments. My problem is that I believe that in such a sophisticated game, with built-in limitations on when the deck-gun can be used; how long it takes to load tubes etc etc, it's simply an omission to allow the movement of deck-housed torps inboard irrespective of weather and sea conditions.

What I'm trying to say is that, with SH3 at the incredibly high level of development and modification it is now, no-oneshould have to invent a work-around to achieve something like realism with something so basic.

Best wishes,

Von M

Mittelwaechter
06-08-08, 06:18 PM
It may be possible to mod two additional "deckgun compartments" (forward and backward) with/without 3D representation. Not manable in bad weather but indispensable to load the externals?
Wonder if it's possible to remove the deckgun but man the foredeck in 3D?
Resulting in the presentation of three guys to be shot by attackers until you dive?

Sailor Steve
06-08-08, 06:20 PM
I've never manned the deck gun to load externals. I just make sure there's a full complement in the affected torpedo rooms.

LeChuck
06-08-08, 10:10 PM
thanks for welcome aboard external torpedos loaded thanks to all of your help:D

_Seth_
06-09-08, 02:49 AM
Me and Guybrush Threepwood wishes you a warm welcome to Subsim, LeChuck!:lol::lol:
:up: (BTW; Have you seen Elaine...?) :D

siber
06-09-08, 05:55 AM
Me and Guybrush Threepwood wishes you a warm welcome to Subsim, LeChuck!:lol::lol:
:up: (BTW; Have you seen Elaine...?) :D
:rotfl: I love it... I was thinking the same thing!

We're showing our age now, aren't we. :oops:

Welcome LeChuck!

LeChuck
06-11-08, 07:21 PM
:arrgh!: Aye mateys twas quite a time we had in the scum bar way back when

Jimbuna
06-12-08, 07:05 AM
We know all about Seth and his drinking habits thank you. :nope:

Welcome aboard Kaleun http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

pssst!!.....it was a straight bar wasn't it :hmm:

:p