PDA

View Full Version : Now what? (for the sake of realism)

Nyarlathotep
06-06-08, 10:24 PM
Looking for a somewhat realistic solution to my predicament:
Both diesels destroyed, attacked a convoy one too many times I guess. Survived barely, managed to evade. Got to about 250m west of Lisbon on remaining batteries at 1 knot. For some reason, maybe current, I can do about 1/2 knot submerged still.
What would happen in a situation like this? My compressor still works, could it be rigged to provide some minimal battery charge? Could two non-working engines be salvaged to get one at least partially working engine?
My solution right now is max TC into Lisbon and just fudge time in port for whatever minimal repairs using Commander, then try to finish my patrol and limit myself to 1/3rd speed or something.
Any ideas?

Ivan Putski
06-07-08, 12:32 AM
You mate are in DEEP YOGURT, if you make it to Lisbon, and do get repairs made, and are seaworthy again, I`d beat a path back to my home base. If your diesels are destroyed they can`t be repaired at sea, as was maybe possible in RL, but not very likely. If you can`t charge your batteries they`ll drain to nothing, and you have to have a diesel engine running to do that.

If it was me, and I somehow made it to Spain, I would sell the boat to Franco, and beat a trail to Switzerland.:D

_Seth_
06-07-08, 02:36 AM
Both diesels destroyed, attacked a convoy one too many times I guess. Survived barely, managed to evade. Got to about 250m west of Lisbon on remaining batteries at 1 knot. For some reason, maybe current, I can do about 1/2 knot submerged still.
What would happen in a situation like this? My compressor still works, could it be rigged to provide some minimal battery charge? Could two non-working engines be salvaged to get one at least partially working engine?
My solution right now is max TC into Lisbon and just fudge time in port for whatever minimal repairs using Commander, then try to finish my patrol and limit myself to 1/3rd speed or something.
Any ideas?
Hoist the sails! :lol:
No, seriously. I think that in RL it would have been possible to get one of those diesel-beasts alive, using whatever usable spare parts from the other. I.E; The GW M6V 40/46 diesels (except for U88, U90 and U132-136, which used MAN M6V40/46)used in the type 7 were reliable engines, and it would take a pretty hard beating to destroy them completly (Not like some aircraft shooting some wussie bullets in the side of your boat..:lol:). So i believe that the dedicated and crafted crew aboard the uboat would get that ol' bucket sailing along in no time.:up:

UnderseaLcpl
06-07-08, 04:43 AM
Maybe you could jury-rig the generator to be turned by hand.
Or you could use all those rotting citrus fruit provisions and orange juice to charge the batteries.

Red Heat
06-07-08, 06:14 AM
Any ideas?

Yes...return to your base, "pronto"!

Myxale
06-07-08, 08:10 AM
Wow, pretty tuff situation!:yep:

I guess, you should try spain or as you said Lisabon! And end your career there. And (if you and you crew make it back with other means) start a new career!Since they are destroyed!

There few options left! Or none at all!:hmm:

Keep us updated!

Jimbuna
06-07-08, 09:15 AM
Sod it!!.....press Esc and return to base :lol:

difool2
06-07-08, 09:18 AM
Isn't there a bug where the batteries will still charge on the surface even if the engines are turned off/aren't working? Some people have run out of gas yet were able to recharge anyway.

Sailor Steve
06-07-08, 09:36 AM
Isn't there a bug where the batteries will still charge on the surface even if the engines are turned off/aren't working? Some people have run out of gas yet were able to recharge anyway.
Yes, or he could just press Esc and return to base...but he said he wanted a realistic solution.

As for the compressor, I think it runs off the engines.

If it was me I'd use the old boardgamers solution: roll a die.
Charge the batteries unrealistically. This will make you take time to get home rather than returning instantly. Then roll a six-sided die:

1-2) I got an engine running and limped home.

3-4) I managed to make it to a neutral port, and then home. The boat is a loss, but change the number with SH3 Commander, put off the next patrol for a long time to represent working up the new boat, and continue.

5-6) I made it to a neutral port but both the boat and crew were interred; OR I was captured by the Allies. Either way that career is over.

Platapus
06-07-08, 11:40 AM
oars?

I think in real life they would have tried to radio for help in addition to rebuilding the engines. It is amazing what an engineer can do when he is given the choice

1. Make the engine go
2. Starve to death

Letum
06-07-08, 12:59 PM
Hit the sails.
Seriously!

I know for a fact that some (all(?)) VIIC boats had a wooden mast and sail onboard that could be attached through the conning tower in the case of engine faliure. :up:

It might not be much use in the middle of the atlantic in 1945, but close to spain in the early war....you should be able to get a tug boat out or sail to the spanish coast.

papa_smurf
06-07-08, 01:49 PM
Or you could get Bernard to tow you home in a rowing boat:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

_Seth_
06-07-08, 06:19 PM
I know for a fact that some (all(?)) VIIC boats had a wooden mast and sail onboard that could be attached through the conning tower in the case of engine faliure. :up:

:o:o:o Really? That i didnt know!
*Crap, Letum.....Now i have to find them ol' books i have of the VIIC - boat, and see this myself....Well, lets blow off some dust here...* :lol:

Kpt. Lehmann
06-07-08, 11:04 PM
....5-6) I made it to a neutral port but both the boat and crew were interred....

They buried your crew!?!?!? :o :o :o Alive????

Those nasty, brutal, sick neutrals! :stare: :lol:

Sailor Steve
06-07-08, 11:32 PM
Interred, interned, interrupted, interrogated, intransient, intrasingent, intolerable, intestate...take your pick.

I've been wanting to quote Slappy Squirrel all day: "I'm old; sue me!":dead:

Jimbuna
06-08-08, 06:29 AM
Interred, interned, interrupted, interrogated, intransient, intrasingent, intolerable, intestate...take your pick.

Keep a cool head Steve :lol:

....and don't worry mate, I'll help you set them free http://thebibletruth.org/digging.gif

http://imgcash6.imageshack.us/img524/4528/superyestj1.gif

Nyarlathotep
06-08-08, 02:59 PM
I took the easy way out and reloaded from an earlier save point. I couldn't force myself to play for a week at 1024x to get to a port. If the batteries were still charging, I couldn't tell; maybe GWX 2 fixed that?Another question; wasn't there a bug with resupplying at a port other than your base where you would lose the renown for anything you'd sunk up until then?

Kpt. Lehmann
06-08-08, 09:27 PM

Easy dude. Was just giving you a hard time.

Catfish
06-09-08, 01:46 AM
Hello,
for what i have read one boat was really sailing home, at least to the vicinity of a harbour, after which it was towed in by a cutter. They had made a sail from the bunk's cloth and fastened it to the periscope ...:) must have been sheer luck ...
Greetings,
Catfish

Sailor Steve
06-09-08, 06:54 AM

And I was joking. It was just a different way of saying "I resemble that remark!":sunny:

Kpt. Lehmann
06-09-08, 07:37 AM

And I was joking. It was just a different way of saying "I resemble that remark!":sunny:

Damned internet! :doh:

I'm off to work again. Have a good one.:arrgh!: