PDA

View Full Version : sun-moon set and rise chart

Joe S
05-25-08, 08:38 AM
I had a chart for sun and moon rising and setting times, but I cant find it. I am running an agent insertion mission and would like to plan my final approach to the coast. Can someone please tell me where I can find a chart for the pacific theater? Thanks, Joe S

Joe S
05-25-08, 11:13 AM
I found one by dmlaval, Thanks! Joe S

6SJ7GT
05-25-08, 11:42 AM
Joe,
I put together Nautical Almanacs for celestial nav. they have sunrise, noon transit and sunset on the daily pages.

Nautical Almanacs (http://hosted.filefront.com/6sj7gt/2231663)

Mike

Kodiac
05-25-08, 12:36 PM
Thankyou for the link for celestial navigation 6SJ7GT. I've been using just the tools on the nav map for eta. The celestial navigation I'll try out to enhance the realism of navigtion that appeals to me.

Rockin Robbins
05-25-08, 07:20 PM
Unfortunately those tables will do you no good, as the moon rises, sets and had a phase which appears to be random and also has no relationship to where the sun is in the sky. For instance the full moon might be erroneously rendered less than 5º from the sun, an impossible event.

The sun appears to obey physical laws, but the moon, she's a renegade, obeying nobody's will but here own in the Silent Hunter Universe.

Lt.Harper
05-26-08, 05:21 AM
Isn't it a solar eclispe when the moon overlaps the sun?

Sailor Steve
05-26-08, 07:26 AM
Isn't it a solar eclispe when the moon overlaps the sun?
Yes, but but then it's a new moon, and isn't lit up. RR specified a full moon, and he's right.

Rockin Robbins
05-26-08, 04:59 PM
Interestingly, and this is common knowledge to farmers and sailors, each phase of the moon rises at the exact same solar time. The full moon must be opposite the sun, so it must rise at 6:00 pm solar time, the precise time of sunset. A half moon rises 90º from the sun, six hours after sunset at midnight or six hours before the sun at noon. A ¾ moon must rise either 3 hours before or after the sun: 9:00 pm or 3:00 pm.

All this sounds very strange to us aliens who live not under the sun, moon and stars, but in wood and masonery boxes, lit artificially and with no connection to our natural surroundings any more. Our "common knowledge" is common no more.

There will even be people who will argue with me, proving that they are not as well educated as your average uneducated farmer or rag sailor. It is a common thing when I explain this to non-astronomers. Sometimes they get quite heated about it. Well get mad at God, I certainly didn't make it up.:rotfl:

Lt.Harper
05-26-08, 05:51 PM
Missed the full moon part, yeah that's pretty silly.

Sailor Steve
05-26-08, 07:11 PM
There will even be people who will argue with me, proving that they are not as well educated as your average uneducated farmer or rag sailor. It is a common thing when I explain this to non-astronomers. Sometimes they get quite heated about it. Well get mad at God, I certainly didn't make it up.:rotfl:
I was a steel sailor, not a rag sailor, so I did not know that. But after a lecture like that, no way am I gonna argue.:dead:

Munchausen
05-27-08, 03:33 PM
:hmm: Must be true. I can't remember ever seeing a Harvest Half-Moon.