PDA

View Full Version : How can I improve Flak Gun accuracy?

Paulverisor64
05-24-08, 04:17 PM
I'm continuing through Silent Hunter III's tutorial and once again I find myself stuck. This time I can not get a steady aim from the Flak gun.

The problem is that the Flak Gun sights lag behind the movement considerably. To say that the aim is jerky is an understatement. I have to slow down for the sights to catch up with the view.

I've made some observations. I've found that I can keep the sights lined up with the view if I modify the mouse sensitivity. Unfortunately here I can only move the gun in a circle, I can't aim up or down. I've also discovered that if I combine the directional pad keys with the Control key that my view stays lined up with the sights. Here unfortunately I've discovered that while Control is pressed down I can not fire the flak gun.

I've used the work "flak" when I searched this website to see whether anyone else has had my problem. Only one individual mentioned this, and they didn't find a solution to the problem.

Anyone know how I could keep the sight lined up while I am firing?

SilentNite
05-24-08, 05:40 PM
Are you truely talking about the FLAK gun or the Deck Gun?

When rotating the Deck Gun, it does lag behind but the Flak gun does not from my experience.

If infact you are referring to the Deck gun, and even if not, try zooming in(mouse wheel, or tab I think). When zoomed in with the Deck gun, you get range indicators. Adjusting the indicator to the correct range will take care of your issues there and the appearance of not being able to raise the gun. Obviously when rotating the Deck Gun, wait till the men get the gun pointing to where you want it before firing ;)

For the flak gun, you can also zoom in for a better view of the aircraft and site reticule for better aiming and greater success.

Paulverisor64
05-24-08, 06:37 PM
I'm fairly certain that it is the Flak Gun.

This is the 3rd tutorial which is right after the deck gun tutorial.

Oddly enough I didn't seem to have much of an issue with aiming the deck gun.

I am wondering why others have had no issue with lag on the Flak Gun?

I like the experience of hitting targets myself, but if there isn't a way to keep the view lined up with the sights I may have to let the crew take care of the assignment. (I did try this last evening but wasn't getting credit for the planes shot down).

sunvalleyslim
05-24-08, 07:16 PM
Paul, The flak gun is like the real world flak gun. You have to lead the plane with the sights to achieve sucess. Remember that the bullet takes time to reach the target, depending on how far away. Try for the closest planes coming at you and aim slightly ahead of the propeller. Go for short bursts. If you hit the plane you will see smoke. watch the bullets as they are going to the target. That should give you an indication as to whether your too far out in front, or too far behind the target. Good Hunting Kaleun

GoldenRivet
05-24-08, 07:23 PM
transfer to the Luftwaffe and man a fixed AAA position at any one of our air bases.

Firing AAA from a u-boat... You may as well throw rocks into the sky.

Hahaha

Paulverisor64
05-24-08, 07:43 PM
I'm thinking that it wouldn't be so bad if I could get the gun sight to line up with the view. I have to wait for the sight to catch up. It's a battle in itself, and I'm not faring that well.

Thank you for advice on where to aim on the plane. I have been leading the plane when I can line up a good shot, but it's been an inconsistant distance.

Paulverisor64
05-26-08, 11:19 AM
There is a way to prevent the view sliding ahead of the flak gun sights, and it was very simple to fix once I found it.

In the games options there was a video option called synchronize that by default was unchecked. I checked this and now I'm no longer fighting the sights, it should be so much easier. I'm not sure why anyone would want this set any other way.

Bismarck
05-26-08, 01:44 PM
You can zoom in on the Deck and Flak guns? I never knew that thanks :up:

STEED
05-26-08, 01:54 PM

Hahaha

Too bloody right, I got a shock from the damage of the aircraft firing back at me. I will never take a plane on ever again.

GWX2.1 :eek:

ReallyDedPoet
05-26-08, 02:02 PM
Are you truely talking about the FLAK gun or the Deck Gun?

When rotating the Deck Gun, it does lag behind but the Flak gun does not from my experience.

If infact you are referring to the Deck gun, and even if not, try zooming in(mouse wheel, or tab I think). When zoomed in with the Deck gun, you get range indicators. Adjusting the indicator to the correct range will take care of your issues there and the appearance of not being able to raise the gun. Obviously when rotating the Deck Gun, wait till the men get the gun pointing to where you want it before firing ;)

For the flak gun, you can also zoom in for a better view of the aircraft and site reticule for better aiming and greater success.

Hey fellow Canuck, nice sig. :yep::up:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/SilentNight611/Sigs/SilentNiteSH3.png

RDP

Nicolas
05-26-08, 02:44 PM
There is hitpoints values and armor for airplanes in zones.cfg, you can tweak those if you like to shot down planes.

Hartmann
05-26-08, 05:27 PM

Hahaha
Too bloody right, I got a shock from the damage of the aircraft firing back at me. I will never take a plane on ever again.

usually i dived when a plane appears but in 1943 i have a nice two 20 mm and a quad mounted in my tower, so i decided stay surfaced to see what happens.

in the first encounter i shot down two sunderlands, so i decided try again..., why dive ?? it donīt seems too difficult survive.

In my second encounter two planes dropped two bombs to the boat causing several casualties,the boat near to blow in pieces and heavy damage, career finished :dead:

Never again, its better dive and use it only in case that is not possible dive at time.

rifleman13
05-27-08, 03:18 AM

Hahaha

usually i dived when a plane appears but in 1943 i have a nice two 20 mm and a quad mounted in my tower, so i decided stay surfaced to see what happens.

in the first encounter i shot down two sunderlands, so i decided try again..., why dive ?? it donīt seems too difficult survive.

In my second encounter two planes dropped two bombs to the boat causing several casualties,the boat near to blow in pieces and heavy damage, career finished :dead:

Never again, its better dive and use it only in case that is not possible dive at time.

Try adding a laser sight to the FlaK gun. That should increase your chances!:rotfl::yep: