PDA

View Full Version : Japanese submarines in SH4

Doolittle81
05-22-08, 08:48 PM
Are there Japanese sailing submarines in SH4, targetable....rather than just static 'objects' in ports? Please see the last few posts in this thread along with a video of a IJN Sub being torpedoed, burning, sinkiing, exploding:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=868766#post868766

Ducimus
05-22-08, 09:11 PM
The Jap AI sub is acutally a cloned Type9D2 from the uboat addon by Natilus42. I think he then touched up the conning tower so it more closely resembled a japanese subs conning tower.

I then came in after him, and changed the zone ID assigments of the submarine, which by default are the player damage zones (bow torpedo room, engine room, command room, pumps, etc). I changed the damage zones to that, i think of a large warship. Primarly because the zone definition had a high flotiablity rating, and a nice explosion attached to it. A high flotablity means that it takes a larger chunk of the overall subs boyancy. This (in addition to lowering its HPs from stock) is why it will sink now. The only catch, is i can't redefine the size and shape of the damage zones (well i could, but i have no 3rd party app to see what im changing them to, so its a moot point :roll: ), so the zones are shaped how they're shaped. The damage system against subs is anything but perfect. It is however, passable.

Nautilous42 also made a similar mod for an AI monsun boat which appears at the historical dates in logical areas like the java sea, and again i went in after him and reworked the zones in a similar manner to the jap sub.

I have not however, gotten around to "fixing" the damage zone ID assigments to the jap midget sub or the I-400, so they'll still essentually torpedo sponges.

You'll find the jap AI sub and german AI sub in TMO, RSRD, and i *think* RFB (not sure). You won't find them in stock.

GerritJ9
05-23-08, 03:17 AM
At the moment, stock 1.5 only has the posibility of a playable IXD2 for the IJN- historically correct in the sense that the IJN took over several U-Boote in May 1945 after Germany's surrender. Among the U-Boote were two IXD2s, but none of these subs saw any operational service with the IJN, though several were working up with Japanese crews under German instructors when Japan surrendered. I've made a small mod which adds the IXD2 to the Japanese roster for SH4, plus another which adds them for SH3 including two type IXCs.
Keltos is working on an authentic playable Junsen B and this beta can be downloaded- see the topic in the SH4 mods forum. Others are working on making the Sen-Toku playable (possibly also on the midget sub) so we will actually be able to use authentic IJN subs in due course.

GerritJ9
05-23-08, 05:46 AM
It should also be pointed out that Japan received two IXCs in 1943. U-511 was transferred to the IJN at Kure in August 1943 and became RO-500; used mainly for experimental purposes in Home Island waters, she survived the war. The second boat was U-1224, which was handed over to an IJN crew while being built, commissioned as RO-501 at Kiel in 1943, but sunk on 31/5/1944 off the Azores while en route to the Far East. Neither thus saw operational use by the IJN.
Jentschura lists RO-501 as a IXC/40, but other sources list her as a IXC.

jas39
05-23-08, 06:35 AM
You won't find them in stock.

thats not true...i remember seeing the jap ai sub files when i first installed sh4, also, neal's review mentions that there are two ingame...when he first reviewed sh4...

Fincuan
05-23-08, 06:47 AM
You won't find them in stock.

thats not true...i remember seeing the jap ai sub files when i first installed sh4, also, neal's review mentions that there are two ingame...when he first reviewed sh4...

Them = AI IXD2 and the jap-version of it, which are not in the stock game.

cgjimeneza
05-23-08, 01:38 PM
I got myself a surface cruising 1800 tons jap sub,.... I was cruising on the surface and detected my target on radar, closed to establish track course, made end around and fired from p detph 3 fishes, with a 2 degree dispersion.

fist fish ran ahead, second fish hit (magnetic) under the screws, third one made a nice window in MOT.

date was about sept 43 in the Sulu Sea.

aanker
05-23-08, 08:18 PM
I got myself a surface cruising 1800 tons jap sub,.... I was cruising on the surface and detected my target on radar, closed to establish track course, made end around and fired from p detph 3 fishes, with a 2 degree dispersion.

fist fish ran ahead, second fish hit (magnetic) under the screws, third one made a nice window in MOT.

date was about sept 43 in the Sulu Sea.
Aren't you running TMO & RSRD though C. ?? ;-)

Happy Hunting!

Art