PDA

View Full Version : Frequent CTDs

jas39
05-20-08, 12:07 PM
Hi.

whenever i play sh4, minutes into the game, it causes a ctd:

Sh4 has encountered a problem and needs to shutdown. if this occurs again, please contact your administrator. we've created a log file that you can send to microsoft, etc.(you know the details).

however, when i double click gu.exe, the game won't start at all, and says this:

error: error code 000x00023 (or something similar)
registry missing values. Reinstalling the application might help the problem (or something similar)

I have the 1.04 patch. I checked all of the optional installs when i installed sh4 (direct x, acrobat reader, windows codecs, etc) but when game shadow installation came, i skipped that...

I have the latest updates for direct x, nvidia, microsoft update, etc.

my install is 100% legal (no cd cracks or any of that junk)

there is no over clocking.

there is no spyware.

i have defragmented, run enditall, etc.

i am playing it on a recently self-built system:

Core 2 duo e8400
2gb ddr-800 pqi
geforce 9600gt KFA by Galaxy
maxtor 60 GB 4200rpm IDE PATA
gigabyte p35 S-series
antec 550 Basiq PSU

does anyone have a clue?

snakeyez
05-20-08, 12:57 PM
Is this a Windows XP system or a Vista system?

Also, try double clicking on "sh4.exe" to start the game up.

banjo
05-20-08, 01:55 PM
If nothing else, you might try an uninstall including ALL sh4 files and folders (documents & settings, program files, etc), then reinstall and repatch.

maerean_m
05-20-08, 02:14 PM
q: can your system withstand a 60 minutes repeated tests in 3D Mark 2006?

disable the realtime scanner of the antivirus while playing.
open the PC case to lower the temperatures.
get a proper audio card.
install the previous nvidia driver, the one before the newest.
raise the memory voltage by 0.1V to improve stability.

PS: maxtor hard drives tend to fail in time. i know of at least 5 cases. sorry for the bad news. go for seagate or western digital.

jas39
05-20-08, 02:20 PM
HMM......yeah its an old maxtor, and i am running xp pro sp3...thanks for the info, i;ll reinstall and see what happens...

snakeyez
05-20-08, 08:46 PM
I've run Maxtors for years and never had any trouble.

And many times, your computer can easily run HOTTER if you take the case off, depending on your airflow setup.

jas39, is there any kind of pattern to your crashes? Do you remember what you are doing in the game when a crash happens?

jas39
05-21-08, 06:34 AM
the first time i ran sh4 on this machine, i started the 2 first submarine school trainings and they immediately CTD'd right after loading. i then tried the "last targets" quick mission, but a few minutes into it, it also crashed. i've checked to make sure that the screen resolution and refresh rate is correct, and ran again. i've noticed that if i spend a few minutes at the nav map, and play around with the time compression at the begining of a mission, the game will not ctd...

and yes, i save frequently...

Rockin Robbins
05-21-08, 01:53 PM
PS: maxtor hard drives tend to fail in time. i know of at least 5 cases. sorry for the bad news. go for seagate or western digital.
And how!!! Make it 6. No more Maxtors.:nope:

Rockin Robbins
05-21-08, 01:59 PM
HMM......yeah its an old maxtor, and i am running xp pro sp3...thanks for the info, i;ll reinstall and see what happens...Watch out for XP sp3. Looks like they're trying to do for XP what they did for Vista. PC Pitstop recommends not installing sp3 until they get the bugs out.

Just one example of the FUBAR is that sp3 is incompatable with my Asus A8N-32 SLI Deluxe motherboard. If I install sp3 the only way to boot my machine would be to plug a USB flash drive in before I turn the machine on. :stare: They'll probably call this a merchandizing campaign to "encourage" sales of Vista. I'll go 100% Kubuntu first.

Captain Dave
05-21-08, 08:31 PM
Hmmm, I have a A8N-SLI Premium. Maybe I'll wait on SP3 for awhile.

jas39
05-21-08, 10:19 PM
strangely enough, now, i haven't had one ctd after hours of playing, and i still haven't reinstalled yet!

kriller2
05-22-08, 02:36 AM
Have you installed any service packs lately? Because my PC suddenly crashed alot after installing Service pack 3 for Win XP, but yesterday I downloaded the latest ATI Catalyst 8.5 for Win XP SP3 and now everything runs fine :D (I allmost trew my graphics card out of the window, because of the anoying CTD's... :roll: )

jas39
05-22-08, 06:38 AM
I did.

i should really replace my maxtor, as it is 8 years old now...its the only thing i retained from my old pc....

maerean_m
05-22-08, 06:45 AM
I have SP3 with Catalyst 8.4 on an ATi 3850 AGP with no problems.

Rockin Robbins
05-22-08, 08:19 AM
strangely enough, now, i haven't had one ctd after hours of playing, and i still haven't reinstalled yet!

See! SUBSIM fixed your problems. DavyJonesFootlocker will be sending you a bill in the morning. Thank you for your prompt payment.:yep:

Wilcke
05-22-08, 10:18 AM
I did.

i should really replace my maxtor, as it is 8 years old now...its the only thing i retained from my old pc....

That could be a world record for a Maxtor!:o My WD's are over 3 years old and I am already getting nervous.:nope:

I found out not to long ago that Seagates can be rebuilt! Now thats scary!