PDA

View Full Version : Not sure how to make changes

the.terrabyte.pirate
05-20-08, 07:45 AM
I want to make some changes to the game, but I'm not sure how hard / easy it will be. Anyone who can advise would be appreciated.

1) I only get verbal warnings from my crew (eg sonar contacts, radio contacts) at 1x TC. Anything above that, and I get a message on the log only, and a drop to 8x TC. There is no change to the background sound. Is there a way to have the game verbally tell me that the sonar guy has picked up a contact etc, and have the game drop back to 1x TC as standard?

2) Is there a way to stop received messages from dropping my TC back to 1x? I'd prefer if it didn't.

I like to run the game at around 128x TC, which maximises contacts from my crew, but it's still time consuming to travel about. While travelling, I like to read, but I'm either constantly distracted by received messages, and then speeding up TC again, or because I'm not paying attention to the screen it's sometimes a while before I realise that my crew has picked something up and a choice target has sailed merrily by with only a note on my log to show for it.

The way I figure, if I'm a captain reading in my cabin, someone would most definitely tell me of a contact report etc, but possibly wouldn't bother me with routine messages. SHIII has this backwards, bothering me with messages at 1x TC while contacts pass at 8x TC.

Can anyone help?

tomfon
05-20-08, 09:33 AM
Are you playing stock SHIII?

the.terrabyte.pirate
05-20-08, 09:47 AM
No, GWX 2.1

tomfon
05-20-08, 10:01 AM
The most obvious way to apply new TC settings is via SH3Cmdr. I haven't changed any TC settings myself so i can't tell you with certainty what can be done. Maybe someone who knows shows up soon.;)

bobchase
05-20-08, 06:57 PM
TbyteP,

You can use Wolfie's TweekSH3 to change the default settings. I have the file posted here:
http://hosted.filefront.com/bobchase

You would set "Enemy Detected" to 1, "Air Enemy Detected" to 1, and "Radio Report" to whatever maximum TCx you want to drop down to. A setting of 4096 would never change your speed for a radio message, while an 8 setting would drop you down to TCx8 if you were running around at x128

While you are playing, you might want to change your default map settings too. I found "Symbol Zoom" of 20 and a "Groups Zoom" of 100 works best for me on both maps.

There is also a mod to get the harbors' detail to show up in the attack map. But that one is only helpful if you are a harbor raider and you are OK with editing a text file.

Bob Chase

Teh_Diplomat
05-20-08, 07:04 PM
One of the awesome parts about SH3, among other things is its abiltiy to customize your time compression settings. You can set your max speed higher, as well as ship spotted, message received, and various other situations to your preference.

JScones
05-21-08, 03:47 AM
1) I only get verbal warnings from my crew (eg sonar contacts, radio contacts) at 1x TC. Anything above that, and I get a message on the log only, and a drop to 8x TC. There is no change to the background sound. Is there a way to have the game verbally tell me that the sonar guy has picked up a contact etc, and have the game drop back to 1x TC as standard?
Raise SoundEffects TC ("Sound effects" in SH3Cmdr) and lower EnemyDetected to 1 ("When enemy ship(s) detected" in SH3Cmdr). This may do it; I'm just not sure now if SH3 treats verbal messages as sound effects or something else altogether.

2) Is there a way to stop received messages from dropping my TC back to 1x? I'd prefer if it didn't.
Increase RealTime TC ("Real time" in SH3Cmdr). Just be mindful though that this is a global event so any change may impact somewhere else - indeed, you may find that if the SoundEffects change above doesn't work, then changing this setting may.

the.terrabyte.pirate
05-21-08, 05:57 AM
Is using shiii commander the only way to go, or can it be done by manually playing with the cfg files?

Can shiii commander be installed in between patrols, or do I need to start a new career?