PDA

View Full Version : Other uses for Hitman's KM Whiz-wheel

Puster Bill
05-19-08, 09:00 AM
So, yesterday I'm sitting at home, watching the WCSN channel.

They were showing a rowing competition.

The winner of the two man race I saw finished their 2000 meter distance in 6:27.

Wonder how fast that is in knots?

So I whip out the ol' whiz-wheel, and it turns out to be about 9.5 knots.

Then I started calculating the lead angle.....

JohnnyBlaze
05-19-08, 04:20 PM
Nice one, mate :up:

Then I started calculating the lead angle.....

BUT, I think this should have been posted in the old thread "you know when you have played SH3 too much" or similar.. :rotfl:
j/k

Sailor Steve
05-19-08, 06:33 PM
Several years ago I read some magazine articles on Olympias, the replica trireme built in Greece. They reached a speed of 9 knots during trials. They also had an incident in which a tour boat passed in front of them, and someone yelled "Ramming Speed." Nobody rowed harder, but everybody laughed.

Puster Bill
05-19-08, 07:15 PM
Several years ago I read some magazine articles on Olympias, the replica trireme built in Greece. They reached a speed of 9 knots during trials. They also had an incident in which a tour boat passed in front of them, and someone yelled "Ramming Speed." Nobody rowed harder, but everybody laughed.
I'd be impressed if you could get a trireme up to 9 knots. These guys were Olympic athletes, and those sculls are damned efficient: They leave almost no wake.

Of course, top speed for a displacement hull is related to total waterline length, so I guess it's possible.

Funny thing is the four man teams came in slower than the two man ones, and they had longer sculls (thus faster potential top speed), and more people rowing.

ANYway, to bring this kind of thing full circle, it's the first time I had used it out of the game. It felt weird.

On edit: Yep, the replica trireme Olympias did do 9 knots in trials, with an inexperienced crew. Very impressive.