PDA

View Full Version : Will the real SH2 sound mod please stand up?

Smecty
05-15-08, 07:02 PM
Well, since my discovery of the gazillion-and-one mods out there for SH2 I've managed to download a number of sound mods, but have no idea which is considered to be the overall best mod (with of course the understanding that such mods are subjective at best). Which one do y'all consider (or was considered when SH2 was in its prime) to be the best one?

1. Projekt Schwertfisch + SP 1

2. SubSim SH2 sfx

3. DBSM SP3 rc2

Fire away, gents!

Smecty

Sailor Steve
05-18-08, 04:40 PM
Projeckt Schwertfisch, hands down. But it's also known as the Das Boot Sound Mod, or DBSM, so your numbers 1 and 3 are part of the same package. There was of course a Service Pack 2 as well.

Smecty
05-20-08, 09:43 PM
Projeckt Schwertfisch, hands down. But it's also known as the Das Boot Sound Mod, or DBSM, so your numbers 1 and 3 are part of the same package. There was of course a Service Pack 2 as well.

Thanks, Sailor Steve! One of the problems of trying to assemble all the mods needed to make this sim actually worthwhile playing is trying to figure out all the acronyms and names that were common amongst the subsim community 4+ years ago, but have which been allowed to slip into a sort of oblivion.

It's knowledge like yours, Hitman's & Oberon's that keep this flame alive. As a consqequence I now have Jürgen Prochnow's voice to keep me company as I head out on patrol!

Salut! :up:

Letum
05-21-08, 11:59 AM
Yup, DBSM wins easily.
I think it comes in more than one update pack as well. Might wanna check you have it all.

Smecty
05-21-08, 07:40 PM
Yup, DBSM wins easily.
I think it comes in more than one update pack as well. Might wanna check you have it all.

Yep, it's great. I just love going to the campaign office and hearing Rita Cadillac belting out that song again, or hearing Prochnow's voice in my sub, or listening to the pathos of the new DBSM credits theme. With Hitman's Aces kampaign + a number of graphical enhancements this game has become quite presentable!

As for the files, I found that the DBSM SP3 had all the enhancements from SP2 and SP1, so all you really need is the basic Projekt Schwertfisch installer plus SP3 and your are good to go.

Cheers,

Smecty

klh
05-22-08, 08:47 AM
Ditto on DBSM. It was the greatest. Makes watching the movie a lot more fun too. You know half the lines by heart.

The only tweak I think I made after DBSM was to the depth charge sound (to add the splash). If you like, PM me and I'll send you a copy.

Sailor Steve
05-22-08, 05:55 PM
I did a conversion of DBSM for SH3, porting as many sounds as I could make fit. I also used the song for the nightclub in JSCones's SH3 Commander.