PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA GeForce drivers v175.16 + Vista + SH4 v1.5 = yay!

snakeyez
05-15-08, 06:47 PM
I may be jumping the gun still, but I wanted to report that I downloaded these new 175.16 drivers this morning for my BFG 8800 GTS video card on my Vista 32 SP1 machine, and I have been able to play SH4 v1.5 for a couple of hours with NO CRASHES! I haven't been able to say that since v1.5 came out.

No more crashes when a torpedo explodes on target! I'm probably jinxing myself....

But, if you have been having trouble then give the new 175.16 drivers a chance. They were just released May 13th.

Rockin Robbins
05-16-08, 07:26 AM
I may be jumping the gun still, but I wanted to report that I downloaded these new 175.16 drivers this morning for my BFG 8800 GTS video card on my Vista 32 SP1 machine, and I have been able to play SH4 v1.5 for a couple of hours with NO CRASHES! I haven't been able to say that since v1.5 came out.

No more crashes when a torpedo explodes on target! I'm probably jinxing myself....

But, if you have been having trouble then give the new 175.16 drivers a chance. They were just released May 13th.

Thank you snakeyez. Keep us updated. In the meantime I am spreading this around to frustrated people in separate threads everywhere.

Gunfighter
05-16-08, 08:23 AM
I am using them too with no problems,And its my Birthday To-Day 16/05/39 Yes I,m an Old Fart. say "Happy Birthday Gunfighter".:rock:

8800GTS 640mb

sergbuto
05-16-08, 08:29 AM
Are aircraft cockpits are transparent with new drivers or they still appear black on the background?

Gunfighter
05-16-08, 08:51 AM
@sergbuto Cockpits appear to be Transparent with a black interior but if you get up close, side view they look transparent.

jdkbph
05-16-08, 09:15 AM
I am using them too with no problems,And its my Birthday To-Day 16/05/39 Yes I,m an Old Fart. say "Happy Birthday Gunfighter".:rock:

8800GTS 640mb

Happy B'day, GF... you don't look a day over 70.

:D

JD

Rockin Robbins
05-16-08, 12:02 PM
Happy Birthday Gunfighter!
Graphics Wizard Extraordinaire

MonTana_Prussian
05-16-08, 08:05 PM
Happy Birthday Gunfighter!:rock:

Doolittle81
05-17-08, 02:31 PM
Do any of you enable Pacific Environment 3 MOD(s) with your SH4 1.5? If, so does SH4 1.5 with the new drivers now run without crashes from explosions (torp or deck gun etc)?
I have been using drivers 174.93(Beta) for some time now...prior to these drivers I was using the 169.XX ones and I had immediate BSOD's when trying to run SH4 1.5. With the 174.93 drivers, SH4 1.5 runs well with W_Clear's Environment MOD(s) but only with with Post Proc and High Texture options turned OFF. However, SH4 1.5 immediately has BSOD with first gunfire/explosion when PE3 is enabled, but 1.4 runs flawlessly with PE3 MOD(s).

I'd like some feedback on the new 175.16 drivers' success with SH4 1.5 with PE3 Mods enabled. Thanks. [With VISTA, whenever I load new NVidia drivers, all my DesktopIcons/shortcuts get re-organized into a random matrix.....I use MANY desktop Shortcuts, 50 or 60 (24" widescreen allows that), so it is a real pain to have to re-create my layout of all those everytime I change drivers for a test. Your feedback will help me decide if a test of 175.16 is worth the trouble.] thanks

My Rig:
ASUS P5N32-E SLI
Dual core E6700 Cpu
2GB OCZ PC2 8800 (1100Mhz) RAM
BFG 8800GTX w/768MB Graphics card
Audigy2 ZS
4 Seagate 400GB hard drives in a 0+1 RAID array
Plextor PX-800A
Samsung SyncMaster 244T 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1200 native resolution
Windows VISTA 32bit

snakeyez
05-17-08, 02:53 PM
I'm running TMO and I jumped the gun, sadly. When a torpedo hits a ship, it's a black screen for me, again.

However, I found that I can uncheck the "hi-res textures" option, restart the game, and can play normally.

No biggie really, except I can't use my KillFlags Mod sadly. :(

Doolittle81
05-17-08, 03:00 PM
.... I jumped the gun, sadly. When a torpedo hits a ship, it's a black screen for me, again.

However, I found that I can uncheck the "hi-res textures" option, restart the game, and can play normally.

:(

Yep! The High Res texture Option seems to be definitely involved in the BSOD phenomena.
Are you enabling the PE Mods or W_Clears's Environment (EE) Mod?

snakeyez
05-17-08, 04:01 PM
Yep! The High Res texture Option seems to be definitely involved in the BSOD phenomena.
Are you enabling the PE Mods or W_Clears's Environment (EE) Mod?

Nope, my only mods are TMO, KillFlag (now useless), and one for extra torpedo damage.

Hylander_1314
05-17-08, 08:56 PM
Snakeyez,

What are your system specs? Version of windows, etc, etc. I'm running 2 eVGA GTS 8800 512's in SLi mode, using:

TMO 1.5
TMO Service pack 1 Bravo
Armed Forces Radio
W Clear's Envirornmental 4.4a mod
Like river wave of ) wind, as it's a preference for the 4.4a mod
The NBC Radio Mod
Radio Tokyo
The Kill Flag Mod one skin for each class of sub
Yamato AA Fix
ROW sound effects v 9

And I've not had a single CTD. I'm still using the 169 nvidia drivers that came with the video cards. So maybe that's it? Or a windows configuration issue maybe?

snakeyez
05-17-08, 11:12 PM
Here it is, built it myself. No issues whatsoever. No issues whatsoever with SH4 v1.4. I'm telling you, there is a problem with Vista 32 bit + NVIDIA 8xxx/9xxx cards + SH4 v1.5.

My only mods atm are TMO 1.5, KillFlag Mod, and a torpedo damage mod. Doesn't matter, game crashes on stock v1.5 with torpedo explosion.

-----------------------

Antec Nine Hundred case

Kingston HyperX 2GB Kit DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL4 Low-Latency 240-pin DIMM - nVIDIA SLI-Ready

Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6700

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 70SB073A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card

ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

BFG Tech BFGR88640GTSOCE GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 OC HDCP Video Card

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R Burner with 12X DVD-RAM write and LightScribe Technology Black IDE Model LH-20A1H-186

CHIMEI 221D-NBC Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Hylander_1314
05-18-08, 08:42 AM
You have a good rig. Have you downloaded SP1 for Vista from M$?

I was having CTDs from certain programs, as it was a Vista issue. SP1 has helped to stabilize the OS from causing CTD issues. This also included problems I was having with art programs, and my printer copier and scanner.

If you don't have it, you can get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

Also, have you tried adding the SH 4 .exe file to the DEP in the settings for your computer?

Right click on My Computer. The Control Panel/Systems window should open.

To the left under Tasks, go to Advanced System Settings

Click on the Settings Button in the Performance window

A Performance Options window will open

Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab

Make sure that it is set to Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select

Click on the Add button

You will have to navigate through your hard drive to where your .exe files for your programs to add to the list.

I was having problems with BoBII, CFS 3 with O.F.F. WWI add-on, and a list of other programs including SH 3 and SH 4.

In Windows XP, you could edit the Boot.ini file for Windows and turn DEP off entirely, but I've not found the same file for Vista, so I would be able to shut it off completely, and not have to worry about remembering to perform this little procedure.

I know this is a pain in the backside, but it may help if you haven't tried it yet.

Hope this helps with your computer ills!

Doolittle81
05-18-08, 12:58 PM
I just installed VISTA SP1. I ran SH4 1.5 with PE3 with all Graphics Options Maxed out(ON)and it did not crash with lots of exlposions, DD gun fire, etc....BUT, when my Sub was hit/killed and the screen went to the interior view of imminent death, I got the BSOD..again!

Has anyone had total success running SH4 1.5 + VISTA + 8800 card + PE3??? That's the combo that always has BSOD with first explosion....for me.

Doolittle81
05-18-08, 01:02 PM
... I'm running ...:
...W Clear's Envirornmental 4.4a mod
...ROW sound effects v 9

And I've not had a single CTD. .

Would you be willing to try enabling the Pacific Environment 3 MOD instead of W_Clear's Environment MOD and reporting back your results?

snakeyez
05-18-08, 02:29 PM
I've been running Vista SP1 since it was officially released. It didn't change anything for me.

I've also tried adding sh4.exe to the DEP exclusion, no change.

I don't get a crash to desktop, nor a blue screen. When a torpedo hits, or a ship hits me with their deck gun, I get a screen flicker, then a black screen with audio in the background. The audio eventually fades away. The black screen never goes away. You can't Alt+Tab out, you can't Ctrl+Alt+Del, Esc, or anything. I finally have to hit the reboot button.

You have a good rig. Have you downloaded SP1 for Vista from M$?

I was having CTDs from certain programs, as it was a Vista issue. SP1 has helped to stabilize the OS from causing CTD issues. This also included problems I was having with art programs, and my printer copier and scanner.

If you don't have it, you can get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b0c7136d-5ebb-413b-89c9-cb3d06d12674&DisplayLang=en

Also, have you tried adding the SH 4 .exe file to the DEP in the settings for your computer?

Right click on My Computer. The Control Panel/Systems window should open.

To the left under Tasks, go to Advanced System Settings

Click on the Settings Button in the Performance window

A Performance Options window will open

Click on the Data Execution Prevention tab

Make sure that it is set to Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select

Click on the Add button

You will have to navigate through your hard drive to where your .exe files for your programs to add to the list.

I was having problems with BoBII, CFS 3 with O.F.F. WWI add-on, and a list of other programs including SH 3 and SH 4.

In Windows XP, you could edit the Boot.ini file for Windows and turn DEP off entirely, but I've not found the same file for Vista, so I would be able to shut it off completely, and not have to worry about remembering to perform this little procedure.

I know this is a pain in the backside, but it may help if you haven't tried it yet.

Hope this helps with your computer ills!

kylesplanet
05-18-08, 03:58 PM
Hell I can't get sp1 to install. I've tried since it was released and keep getting an error code. I've been all over google, tried about every recommendation I can find, even been dealing with MS but no luck so far.

I've defended Vista since it came out but I'm pretty much ready to junk it. The problem is it was OEM on my machine so that will be that much more difficult.:nope:

Doolittle81
05-18-08, 06:45 PM

I don't get a crash to desktop, nor a blue screen. When a torpedo hits, or a ship hits me with their deck gun, I get a screen flicker, then a black screen with audio in the background. The audio eventually fades away. The black screen never goes away. You can't Alt+Tab out, you can't Ctrl+Alt+Del, Esc, or anything. I finally have to hit the reboot button.

Exactly what I experience. I use "BSOD" as a quickie term/explanation. I mean what you describe, "BLACK Screen of Death"...necessitating a Cold Re-Boot as you describe.

snakeyez
05-18-08, 06:58 PM
Exactly what I experience. I use "BSOD" as a quickie term/explanation. I mean what you describe, "BLACK Screen of Death"...necessitating a Cold Re-Boot as you describe.

Nice to know I'm not alone at least. :damn:

Hylander_1314
05-19-08, 12:20 AM
... I'm running ...:
...W Clear's Envirornmental 4.4a mod
...ROW sound effects v 9

And I've not had a single CTD. .

Would you be willing to try enabling the Pacific Environment 3 MOD instead of W_Clear's Environment MOD and reporting back your results?

Finished my patrol, and used Jsgme mod installer to remove the 4.4a mod, and installed the PE3 mod in it's place. Have fired off 5 torpedoes, had run too deep, even though it set for shallowest depth.:roll: Typical of an Admirals pet project. One prematurely detonated half way to the target, but the other 3 were home runs! No lockups, or BSOD's. Could it be the 64 bit version of windows? It's still Home Premium Vista, just the 64 bit version.

Something I did forget.:88) One of my flight sims is very finicky about programs like Bit Defender and anything with the Norton name on it. Have you tried disabling your anti-virus software? Sometimes you have to change the properties in the services window in Administrative Tools. Also, if it's not been mentioned, try right clicking on the SH 4 exe file and try "Run as Administrator".

One last stab, right click on the SH 4 exe file go to properties, and try running it in the XP with SP2 compatability mode. I forgot as I did this a long time ago when I first set up the rig. To avoid any issues if possible, I run SH 3, and SH 4 in XP compatability mode.

Mom always tried to warn me that the memory is the first thing to go!:oops:

I'll go back to the game shortly and see if I can get it to lock up. This is really wierd. I should be the one having more issues with running software and glitches from the use of a 64 bit os version, which the games weren't intended for.

stabiz
05-19-08, 06:48 AM

8800GTS 640mb

Then we have the same birthday, Gunfighter.:up: Not the same age, though. I am 30.

Ishigami
05-19-08, 08:51 PM
I just want to say that the ForceWare 175.16 solved my problem of the nvlddmkm.sys blue- or black screen in SH4 and my Vista 64bit.
Now I’m able to use ROW PE 3.3 without any issues. Thanks for let me know. :up:

Doolittle81
05-22-08, 12:29 PM
Anyone else discovering they can faultlessly run PE3 + SH4 1.5 + 8800GTX card + these new 176.15 drivers?

Nisgeis
05-22-08, 03:53 PM
Anyone else discovering they can faultlessly run PE3 + SH4 1.5 + 8800GTX card + these new 176.15 drivers?

Do you mean 176.16 drivers? If you do, then they were part of the drivers I tested when I installed Vista to see if PE3 was causing SH 1.5 to crash as some people were claiming. They didn't work then, not even with stock SH 1.5.

Edit: I got the driver version wrong too! Should have been 175.16, I think!

Doolittle81
05-22-08, 08:27 PM
Sorry...I meant to say 175.16

Doolittle81
05-23-08, 06:47 PM
Bump: Is anyone able to successfully run SH4 1.5 + 8800GTX card + PE3 + these new 175.16 drivers?

Defiance
05-23-08, 07:09 PM
As Doolittle81 above asks

(I run vista x64)

Cheers

Ciao

Def

Defiance
05-24-08, 05:13 PM
Doolittle81,

I run Vista Ultimate x64

A 8800GTS 640meg memory so not a GTX

BUT .................................

Finally got my 1st torpedo explosions that don't lock my rig up on a black screen :)

Running TMO/PE:3/Assorted skins/Hi-Res HUD

Litterally just tried usual mods with usual settings Except !!!!!!!!

I had to Uncheck Post Processing and High Texture doo dahh

So with those 2 options in graphics unchecked i got to actually watch explosions going off and watch nice pe/tmo effects afterwards

EDIT: Seems it's now randomly locking up with those 2 options unchecked

I give up on 1.5 in vista x64 now, I think i have tried everything with no luck

Will have to carry on using xp solely for 1.5 version :( sheesh seems like going back a step instead of forward (some vista users have probs with SH4 1.4/cod4/crysis etc etc, No not me, Just the latest rendition 1.5 lol)

Ciao

Def

Doolittle81
05-24-08, 06:27 PM
Yes...I had also found that with post processing and high texture turned off, I could get some success with PE and 1.5....explosions galore, DD's firing like crazy,etc.....BUT, as you discovered, after a while, the BSOD strikes again seemingly randomly.

Agent.Nihilist
05-28-08, 12:41 AM
I'm running Vista Ultimate 32bit 2GB E6300 8800GTS 640. SH4 1.5 with TMO 1.5b, I tried the 175.16 drivers and had issues, Specifically a Black screen with the sound loopped after a Fire or explosion effect. If I was fast enough i could get away from effect and only suffer screen flickers otherwise a cold reboot was required.
I tried with the 175.70 beta drivers as well, It ran great for about two hours before a torpedo hit caused another recurrence. The previous driver I was running (not quite sure of the version #) would only occaisally suffer a CTD, no BlSOD. I think I'm going to try to roll back.

I am also not running SP1 yet, but will be updating that soon.
though I have to say its a releif that others are seeing this, I was starting to think My video card was dieing.

Edit: My previous drivers were 163.69, I am rolling back to see how performance is.

JackhammerJohn
05-28-08, 01:19 AM
I have been catching up with my reading of PC GAMER and MAXIMUM PC magazines and they all agree that Vista is a dud when it comes to gaming. Slower framerates overall, higher overhead, and lots of crashes.

I am sticking with my tried and true XP for now.

Agent.Nihilist
05-28-08, 02:12 AM
Don't be so swift to blame Vista for this issue. I am inclined to belive it is an issue with the vista version of Nvidias Graphics driver. I run something to the effect of 50 Games on my vista systems with no troubles. This is actually the only game I've run into issues with, and at that only when Running a mod.
I play Everything from Supcom to penny arcade adventures to Master of Magic and Galactic Civilations, Halflife to Team Fortress 2 and Crysis.

As for this Issue, at least for me Switching to an Older Driver (v163.75) Stopped the BlSOD's and Instead just CTD'd while Disabling Post Processing Effects has elimminated the CTD.

Doolittle81
05-28-08, 12:33 PM
Don't be so swift to blame Vista for this issue...

I agree..Sorry to again repeat my findings, which I have described in several threads, but...I have noted that regardless of which NVidia Drivers are used:
PE3 + SH4 1.5 + 8800GTX card + VISTA32 = BSOD when explosions, DD gunfire, etc, occur

PE3 + SH4 1.4 + 8800GTX card + VISTA32 = Flawless performance at all times

To me that should logically prove an incompatibility of 1.5 with PE in association with the above-mentioned Card and VISTA(1.5's "Fault", not VISTA's which is a Constant in the two situations described).

Also:
W_Clears EE MOD + SH4 1.5 + 8800GTX card + VISTA32 = Smooth performance if Post Proc and High Texture are turned off.

To me that should logically lead one to suspect some specific difference between EE MOD and PE MOD, which in PE only is totally incompatible with some specific aspect of 1.5

Again, PE and EE both work perfectly with SH4 1.4, regardless of NVidia Drivers used.

I don't see that VISTA can be blamed as the single Cause of the BSOD result.
------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION: Does anyone run the following combination of factors, Flawlessly?

PE3 + SH4 1.5 + 8800GTX card + WindowsXP with all SH4 Graphic Options ON

Agent.Nihilist
05-28-08, 02:55 PM
I'm running TMO which uses EE.
I'm going to try the 175.16 drivers again when I get off of work. So far I still haven't had any crashes with post processing turned off.

After looking back on what I've done to get everything working, I've found that the installation of 1.5 was a starting point for my errors, however I did not get any errors running just 1.5, Only when I installed TMO did the problems start.

This leads me to beleive that one of serveral things is occuring

1- 1.5 altered the way post processing works and the EE/PE3 mods are causing a issue with a small number of graphics cards rendering engines. (I am NOT familier enough with the workings of the mods to understand their interaction with the normal game effects)

2- Same as above but with me being completly wrong about the actual effects problem. Aka 1.5 introduced a glitch with the aformentioned mods that only affects a small number of cards.

3- An issue with Nvidia's Vista drivers(have not heard of people with XP having this issue) for the 8800 cards - Drivers changes have only altered the degree of the crashing for me so this is less likely.

My experience seems to point to the problem being an interaction between the particle effects and the post processing used in the EE mod. As all crashes i've encountered have been caused by torpedo hits, cannon fire, a ship being on fire(less common, only happens if a get flickering but avoid a crash be not looking directly at the effect), and I had one instance where the smoke effect(boiler) triggered the crash.

Defiance
06-07-08, 06:18 AM
Hiya's,

Sorry Folks just got error

If you saw the fix ignore

Think i'm on the right track though :)

Ohh well roll-on new cards :D

Ciao

Def