PDA

View Full Version : Pls explain Dick O' Kane targeting

overandout
05-14-08, 09:02 PM
I printed out his directions and tried using it for the 1st time and missed. I was probably too close to set up for hitting at 90 deg. How close should I get for plotting the AOB, etc? I did email the author similar questions but want to see if others have suggestions.

The other question I had was how can you ensure the target remains 90 deg to your boat? I don't understand how to figure out the target's course. Can someone pls clarify? From what I understand in your directions, you draw a line from where it is currently and intersect it with your sub's course.

TIA!

Lee

joegrundman
05-14-08, 09:08 PM
Get to about 1000 yards from the target
It doesn't matter whether the AOB is exactly 90 or not - just make sure it is about 90.

The speed is the most critical estimate

howler93
05-15-08, 01:15 PM
Overandout,

To determine target course, use your nav map and zoom in as much as possible to see your targets. Mark the middle of your target. Wait a few minutes and mark the new position. The more often you do this, the more accurate your plot will be. When you've got a few marks, draw a line connecting them. Now...set your sub's course to intersect their course at a right angle. And, as joegrundman pointed out, make sure to get an accurate speed estimate. Hope this helps out a little!

Good luck and good hunting,
Howler :arrgh!:

Rockin Robbins
05-15-08, 07:42 PM
check out this provisional video tutorial (http://files.filefront.com/Dick+OKane+targeting+video7z/;9969063;/fileinfo.html) there.