PDA

View Full Version : Actual Ship's Complement?

Zero Niner
05-14-08, 07:44 PM
I'd like to know whether there is an authoritative resource that describes what the crew numbers and composition by rank were for US boats. I'm getting conflicting info from various sites. For instance, Wiki states that the crew for a Sargo-class sub was 5 officers and 54 other ranks, but another site lists the total complement for the same class as 78 men.

Reason I'm asking is that I'd like to tweak my crew to have roughly the same number of officers and petty officers as in real life.

fred8615
05-15-08, 01:04 PM
You and me both brother!!

I tried doing my own search awhile back, but found nothing other than officers and enlisted, with no breakdown by actual rank.

:damn: :damn: :damn:

cmdrk
05-15-08, 01:19 PM
I would tend to follow the higher numbers as war-time complements are higher than peace-time numbers.

As to the breakdown to Lt.s, Ensigns, Warrent Officers, CPOs, Petty Officers, and seamen, who knows. I'd imagine the CO had some input on it.

I'd say take your best guess and put it down to Captain's discretion.

You could go here,
http://www.oneternalpatrol.com/uss-harder-257.htm

It seems to have complete crew records for the men lost on the Harder. It would take some work but you could count each crewman's rank/rate and get an example crew organization.

ancient46
05-15-08, 02:29 PM
I found sites got the USS Cod listing the plank owners and the USS Archerfish http://www.ussarcherfish.com/warptrl/patrols.htm which has sailing list for every patrol. I used the first patrol and came up with these lists.

For the purposes of the game: 15 officers and chief petty officers, 47 petty officers and 18 seamen and firemen

The true complement with ratings is this:
8-Officers
1- Commander
1- Lieutenant-Commander
3- Lieutenant
2- Lieutenant (jg)
1- Ensign

7-Chief Petty Officers
2-Motor Machinist's Mate
1-Comissary Steward
1-Quartermaster
1-Torpedoman's Mate
1-Electrician's Mate
1-Machinist's Mate

13-First Class Petty officers
3-Motor Machinist's Mate
1-Yeoman
1-Gunner's Mate
2-Torpedoman's Mate
2-Electrician's Mate
1-Machinist's Mate
1-Pharmacist's Mate
1-Radio Technician
1-Radioman

16-Second Class Petty officers
1-Motor Machinist's Mate
1-Quartermaster
1-Boatswain's Mate
4-Torpedoman's Mate
3-Electrician's Mate
2-Steward's Mate
1-Radioman

18-Third Class Petty officers
4-Torpedoman's Mate
6-Electrician's Mate
2-Ship's Cook
1-Steward's Mate
2-Radioman
1-Fire Controlman
1-Quartermaster
1-Motor Machinist's Mate

8-Seaman First Class
2-Seaman Second Class

2-Fireman First Class
5-Fireman Second Class
1-Fireman Third Class

fred8615
05-15-08, 05:09 PM
For the purposes of the game: 15 officers and chief petty officers, 47 petty officers and 18 seamen and firemen
47 Petty Officers?!? And here all this time I thought the game was totally messed up in giving me so many P.O.'s when I start a new career! Turns out I've been putting waaay too many simple seamen in my boats.

Maybe that's why I've never survived the war? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Sailor Steve
05-15-08, 06:15 PM
Any crewman with a qualification is by default a petty officer; you just don't notice them being called that. If you see someone listed as a Radioman 3rd class, guess what? he's a third-class PO, and his qualification is Radioman.