PDA

View Full Version : Is the speed estimation in the game not good?

hammyton
05-14-08, 01:19 PM
i see lots of alternate ways on the forums of estimating range, is that because the builtin speed estimator in the game is no good? I usually just have to get one range, another range, and it gives me a speed estimate

how do you guys usually do it?

howler93
05-14-08, 04:14 PM
Welcome, Hammyton!

I'm sure there are lots of methods people employ to determine speed. Personally, I usually track my targets with radar and get a speed estimate as they move between two points. I'll simply use the stopwatch and see how far they travel in a given timeframe. The nomograph is really helpful for this. When they get to visual range, I'll use the method you mentioned using the stadimeter and see if the speed estimate is close to my own calculations. Hope this helps some!

Good luck and good hunting!
Howler :arrgh!:

Rockin Robbins
05-14-08, 05:22 PM
In game speed estimates use the.... (ahem).....stadimeter.....(ahem) which, although it is official US Navy doctrine, is ummmmmm......kinda a good way to miss a lot of targets....(ahem) and gives kind of errr.....unreliable output..... and you might be better served by using radar derived speeds....unless you enjoy wasting torpedoes.

So do it the way the Navy tells you, sailor! Unless you actually want to hit your targets. Then find better ways to get the speed than the speed estimates.

Um....you didn't hear it from me. I want to keep my command.

cmdrk
05-15-08, 01:25 PM
How's that saying go...
There's your way, my way, the wrong way, the right way, and then, ... THE NAVY WAY.

Munchausen
05-15-08, 02:09 PM
If you use an "ID Target" mod, watch out. Pressing the button will get you an ID readout in the window above the stadimeter ... but it won't set your mast height correctly. Subsequently, your range estimates might be in error.

To set the proper mast height, you must either do it manually or else lock the target, bring up the recognition manual, flip to the correct page, and click on the check mark.