PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good SH system?

runningdeer
05-14-08, 05:17 AM
I have an opportunity to purchase this system later today. I will use it for gaming mostly. I need opinions on weather its a decent system for this game. Knowing that the graphics card might not be the best. I just want decent performance. Maybe be able to run environmental effects or to be able to run it without having the graphics turned all the way down.

Thanx all.

Processor: AMD Phenom™ 8400 Triple-Core Processor (2.10GHz, 1.5MB L2 Cache + 2MB shared L3 Cache, 3600MHz HT3 Front Side Bus
Memory: 3072MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1024MB 2x512MB) (expandable to 8GB)
Hard Drive: 640GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive
Expandable Drive Bay: HP Pocket Media Drive bay
Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology 16x
Video Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 1343MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista®
Network Interface: Integrated 10/100BaseT network interface
Sound: High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
Fax/Modem: 56k modem
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1

DrBeast
05-14-08, 05:31 AM
Looks decent enough, except for the graphics card and the OS! Do yourself a favor and go for WinXP instead of Vista!

Rockin Robbins
05-14-08, 06:05 AM
Yes, and a separate soundcard (yours sounds like on the motherboard).

Seeadler
05-14-08, 08:21 AM
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics is a onboard graphic card not designed for games, ...yes you can play with it but only old games.

I would propose a different system, with a motherboard for normal graphics- and sound cards, these all-in-one PCs you describe here are only good for an Office system at work/home.

UrPeaceKeeper
05-14-08, 08:49 AM
Looks decent enough, except for the graphics card and the OS! Do yourself a favor and go for WinXP instead of Vista!

Good luck getting that from a prebuilt computer! Unless you build your own (I do suggest) most main stream PC builders are all on Vista. There is honestly nothing wrong with Vista. I've been running it since it came out and to be honest the only problem I've had is with Creative's Crappy drivers not accepting my Microphone (doesnt matter the stupid thing pulled apart >< Argh!) which is fixed by using a USB mic. Every game I've had runs just as smooth as glass and the ready boost is absolutely rocking for gaming.

I think it's just Karma that is getting you Vista haters :P Stop hating it so when you do upgrade it does run :D I love mine to death.

To the OP: I highly suggest you consider building your own. It's cheaper, you only buy the software you need (READ: Operating System and Antivirus if you are really worried) and it's 100% customizable. If you can put together a Lego Set you can put together a computer. The only hard part about it is knowing how to put the pins from the front of the computer case to the motherboard and in your mobo manual there is a guide that shows you what goes where. I will be upgrading my PC this summer (when I get money! Hah!) and plan to continue my 7ish years of building my own PC :)

:|\\

DrBeast
05-14-08, 09:16 AM
I think it's just Karma that is getting you Vista haters :P Stop hating it so when you do upgrade it does run :D I love mine to death.

Four hours of trying to install new graphics drivers and soundchip drivers on a laptop with Vista, using drivers downloaded from the manufacturer's site. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. The only Karma that ever gotten me is Kamelot's namesake album, btw ;)

I fully agree with you about getting a custom-made rig, though. :yep:

UrPeaceKeeper
05-14-08, 10:25 AM

Four hours of trying to install new graphics drivers and soundchip drivers on a laptop with Vista, using drivers downloaded from the manufacturer's site. Yeah, thanks but no thanks. The only Karma that ever gotten me is Kamelot's namesake album, btw ;)

I fully agree with you about getting a custom-made rig, though. :yep:

:-? It took me 30 minutes to download and install the graphics drivers for my Desktop =\ The 30 minutes was taken up primarily by the download! Sound drivers was a different issue all together. That took me several days to get full functionality but that was to get every little detail of the Creative Audio panel to work. I had sound, just by plugging in the sound card. What I didnt have was

:|\\

Quillan
05-14-08, 12:45 PM
I definitely agree about the video card. If you're going to play games, you MUST have a stand-alone graphics card. However, some of the more recent onboard sound solutions are quite good. The one I just built, I'm using the built-in Realtek chip with the HD audio solution, and it both works and sounds great. I haven't had good luck recently with Creative drivers, so I decided to try the onboard sound this time around.

runningdeer
05-14-08, 01:48 PM
Thank you everyone. I appreciate the advice.

I've been using this HP slimline s7520n w/Xpress200 integrated graphics for some time, using it to play SH4. Recently I purchased SH3 since I heard such good things about it.
My system ran SH4 just fine on low settings, however ran into problems with the sky in SH3...frame rate was so bad when looking level or up in free view that I could barely get out of the game.

I will search for a system with stand alone graphics...thanx again all, big help, especially when I can only get a new system like every few years. I want one that I can get more out of.

UrPeaceKeeper
05-14-08, 02:03 PM
The easiest way to achieve that goal is to go overboard now. I've had my current rig for 3 years now and it's running SH4 U-Boat expansion on full graphics and doesnt flinch untill high time compression and convoys entering the area. Graphics wise the game looks fantastic and runs just as nicely.

Rig
-Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
-AMD Athalon 64 FX-55 Proc 2.61 GHz
-2 Gig Corsair DDR (Cant remember the full name but it's their gaming module)
-NVidia 8800 GTS 640MB version
-Lots (3) of SATA Hard Drives, game is installed on a 72 GB Raptor :D
-Creative X-fi Platinum

Rates a solid 4.3 in Vista's "Experience Index" with the lowest being the Processor followed by the RAM. I plan on overhauling this rig this summer by adding another NVidia 8800 GTS 640MB in SLI and, 4 Gig DDR2 RAM, and a new Dual or Quad Core processor (AMD of course! :D)

runningdeer
05-14-08, 08:24 PM
So, after advice from you all...I got the closest thing I could to your suggestions, with my budget. I hope I did well? I'm taking it out of the box in a moment, and one of the first things I'll do is install my SH3 & 4...woo hoo :ping:. Not to thrilled about the Vista part, but I can't stay with XP forever I suppose.

Processor: AMD Phenom™ 9500 Quad-Core Processor (2.2GHz, 2MB L2 + 2MB shared L3 Cache, 2000MHz System Bus)
Memory: 3072MB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1024MB 2x512MB) (expandable to 8GB)
Hard Drive: 720GB (2x360GB) 7200RPM SATA hard drive
Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology 16x
Video Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT graphics card with 256MB dedicated video memory, TV-out, DVI, and HDMI capabilities with support for Microsoft® DirectX® 10. Up to 1535MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista
Network Interface: Integrated 10/100BaseT network interface
Sound: High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
Fax/Modem: 56k modem
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1

EnsignCrow
05-15-08, 01:43 AM
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card,1923-7.html

I don't see the 6150 se on this list at Tom's Hardware, but 6150 is.

8500 GT about in the middle, and higher up than the 6150.

Hylander_1314
05-15-08, 08:20 AM
System is a little on the low side.

The ram and video should be a bit more powerful.

On-board sound isn't a SoundBlaster F/X, but I don't have room a soundcard as my 780i mobo, is set up for SLi videocards, and the PCI slot is not strategically placed to allow it unless I delete one of my video cards, which ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

walrusbomb
05-15-08, 12:35 PM
is there a reason you didn't just build it yourself? it is snap-together afterall... no glue required.

Elder-Pirate
05-15-08, 02:08 PM
is there a reason you didn't just build it yourself? it is snap-together afterall... no glue required.

AH, I knew I messed up. :damn:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/giggle1-1.gif