PDA

View Full Version : Getting credit for sinking enemy ships

Zero Niner
05-11-08, 09:08 PM
I'm wondering what it takes for a sinking to be credited. I was on patrol in very bad weather (zero visibility) when radar picked up a contact which due to the waters I was in (Bismarck Sea, Aug 1942) could only be an enemy.
Using radar I managed to intercept and I proceeded to engage using the deck gun. I could barely make out the ship through the rain & fog, and I was never more than 800 yds away - any further and I would've lost the little visual contact I had. I managed to sink it, got the "She's going down" message, but the sunk ship icon was grey instead of red. When I returned to port I did not get credit for this sinking.
Would also like to add that I was never able to lock on the target using the TBT.

So, what does it take to get credit for a sinking?

MonTana_Prussian
05-11-08, 10:37 PM
A neutral ship? Possible I suppose,and I don't think you would get any credit if that was the case.

Zero Niner
05-11-08, 10:42 PM
Nope, definitely an emeny merchant (I peeked :D )

MonTana_Prussian
05-11-08, 10:44 PM
Nope, definitely an emeny merchant (I peeked :D )

Hmmm. That's weird that it was grey,not red.

kylesplanet
05-11-08, 10:49 PM
I've had that happen before (the gray color) but if I remember right, I still got credit. :hmm: Any possibility it ram another ship?

Zero Niner
05-11-08, 11:18 PM
No, we were the only two vessels in the area.
Ah, no worries, just thought it a bit strange that's all. I did have a good patrol - 5 ships for almost 40k tons, including a CVE and a CA.

UnderseaLcpl
05-12-08, 02:38 AM
Maybe it listed enough that the storm sank it. I think I read that was possible in sh3.

TheSatyr
05-12-08, 06:46 AM
That sounds about right. You damaged it but the storm got the credit...which is annoying.