PDA

View Full Version : [Help!]Where'd my deck gun go?

DrJonez
05-11-08, 06:27 PM
So I've been playing a career lately, and I've gotten to September of 1942. I upgraded to a Salmon class submarine after my first 2 patrols, and everything seemed to work fine. After my first patrol in the new sub, I was fiddling around with some of the various upgrades and switched out what I thought was the deck gun for a different one. Now, in the F10 screen, there's no station listed for me to assign men to the deck gun, but the station is there, and I'm able to go to the gun, fire it, move it around, etc. The problem is that loading is horribly slow now because there aren't any men manning it, but I can't get them to man it no matter what I do :[

You can see the problem in these screenshots:
http://www.deskbreaker.com/drjonez/images/deckgun1.jpg
http://www.deskbreaker.com/drjonez/images/deckgun2.jpg

In the second shot, you can see I have guns installed. The twin 20mm AA gun functions fine, but again, I can't assign crew to the deck gun.

Another question: Is that actually listing the deck gun?? The twin 20mm gun listed there is obviously the AA gun, and I know it's there because I can switch to the station and use it. However, what's this 4 50 cal bow mounting stuff?? There isn't a quad 50 caliber mount on my sub, and swapping out the 3 50 cal gun that was there before for the 4 50 cal was what started this problem in the first place. What gun is this referring to? Am I missing 4 machine guns that I should have on my boat?

I'm running Silent Hunter 4, and I recently picked up the U-Boat Missions, so I'm running whichever version the expansion patches the game to (1.5 I think).

Help please! :dead:

Go4It
05-12-08, 12:03 AM
It's a bug that the DEV'S refuse to fix! Just start again in port an switch to a FORWARD deck gun an you should get it back.

There's a post on how to manualy fix it so I suggest doing a search..

This is from that post that I copied....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had the same problem when ever I tried to change the gun type within a career.
I am playing with v1.2 knowing that I always have to set my gun type when offered
a new bot. Unfortunately with the new Balao class I installed a bow gun instead of
stern (I always used stern since I need the the gun only if i cant dive due to hull
damage and a destroyer is following me).

Solution (not so easy) to replace a Bow deck gun with a Stern deck gun (2 crewmen):
all entrances are in the file of your savegame:
-ActiveUserPlayerUnits.upc (backup it!)

-Search for the compartments 7 (Stern gun) and 8 (Bow gun)
they start with "UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7"

-Get a feeling of the file structure and write it down (compare sections of savegames
with Stern and Bow type gun for instance and see differences)

-do not change "UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7/8"

-now exchange the weapon entrances:
for instance replace "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7.CrewMemberSlotAdditionalRepository 1]"
(which means nothing is installed at stern)
with all sub categories beginning with "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.WeaponSlot 1.Weapon]"
to "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 8.CrewMemberSlot 2.CrewMember.Rank.CrewMember3D]"

-you can simply cut/copy and paste.

-now change the numbers "7" to "8" and "8" to "7" of the moved categories

Some small changes left:
-in "[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 7.WeaponSlot 1]" enter the gun type:

-"IDLinkWeaponLoaded=x", x=gun type for me it was 4in50calUS

-search in compartments 7 and 8 for (multiple entries) :
"ID=CrewMemberSlot_x", x should be DGun for Stern and DGgun2 for Bow (note that there is
another extension C1 and L for crew and leader which you dont need to change like DGun2L)

-search for "WatchCrewMemberSlot3D=WM2@slot_M0x", x=1 for Bow, and x=2 for Stern
(if you don't adjust this you have a shooting non visible gun crew)

-search for "CurrentUpgradePack=Upack4in50calDGBow" and change this to "CurrentUpgradePack=Upack4in50calDGStern"
(this is only for the description in the docks)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this HELPS?

Nisgeis
05-12-08, 04:41 AM
There isn't a quad 50 caliber mount on my sub, and swapping out the 3 50 cal gun that was there before for the 4 50 cal was what started this problem in the first place. What gun is this referring to?

The deck guns of World War II are designated by the size of bore and their length as a function of the bore/shell size, so a 4"/50 gun has a 4" shell and a barrel that is 4"*50 or 200" long. A 3"/50 is a 3" shell and has a barrel 150" (3" * 50) long and a 5"/25 has a 5" shell and a 125" (5" * 25) long barrel. It's an easy way to see the relative length of the barrel. You can easily tell that a 5"/25 is a much relatively shorter barrel than a 4"/50.

DrJonez
05-12-08, 03:00 PM
I've tried swapping out some other guns to get it to come back, and it isn't working :( And I don't understand what the heck that page of text is telling me to do to my save game file.

Sigh. How can bugs like this still be in after 4-5 patches and an expansion pack?

gimpy117
05-12-08, 09:16 PM
assign people to it in port....

kylesplanet
05-12-08, 11:13 PM
You can still use your gun, you'll just have to do the shooting yourself. The next time you upgrade your sub, you'll get the slots back or like mentioned above, you can manually hack the file.

I agree also that this is an annoying bug that should have been addressed. Just for a future tip, if you don't move the location of the gun, it won't happen.

H2OsKT
05-14-08, 10:22 PM
I came across the same problem. :cry:

On my second career, I was offered an upgrade and took the new boat. Just like before in my previous career, I switched deck guns and my gunnery crew lost their station.

What I discovered is if you leave enough open slots on your ships registry to accomodate the gunners, then you will not loose the deck gun station. The gunnery crew is reasigned to another segment in the roster where you have available space, and you will have two open slots for the deck gun crew. Just drop them back into the appropriate slot. :doh:

ancient46
05-17-08, 02:14 AM
I like to have a rear deck gun to shoot while sailing away. I cut the entire fore and aft deck gun from my original career start Tambor file and saved it in a text file. If I ever need to restore the rear deck gun I paste this into the saved game file, somewhat easier for me than editing.