PDA

View Full Version : More than 60,000 NRA members expected in Louisville, with the option of being armed

NEON DEON
05-11-08, 01:21 PM
Wow republicans are serious about guns!:yep:

“John McCain’s people (are) working with our people and security will rule the day,” Ashley Varner told WHAS11’s Joe Arnold, “But, he’s well aware that many of the members will probably bring firearms with them and he’s still excited to come and talk with them.”

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/stories/whas11_local_080507_nra.db6ee5ea.html

The security detail for McCain must be a little stressed about it.

silentrunner
05-11-08, 02:02 PM
:-?:-?

NEON DEON
05-11-08, 07:35 PM
Excuse me Ms. Fromme but do you have a permit to carry that weapon?

I hope she does not say yes.:eek:

bookworm_020
05-11-08, 07:44 PM
I guess you don't mention gun control to the meeting!:D

Subnuts
05-11-08, 07:53 PM
Kind of hard to build a support base when you have to perform a full pyschological background check on everyone attending your rally to ensure they won't assassinate you, isn't it?

I wonder if McCain will attend a convention hosted by the American Lion Tamers Association next, or perhaps an impromptu appearance at the annual meeting of the Society for Blowing Up Stuff.

NEON DEON
05-11-08, 10:27 PM
Kind of hard to build a support base when you have to perform a full pyschological background check on everyone attending your rally to ensure they won't assassinate you, isn't it?

I wonder if McCain will attend a convention hosted by the American Lion Tamers Association next, or perhaps an impromptu appearance at the annual meeting of the Society for Blowing Up Stuff.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Maybe he will get Evil Kenevil Jrs endorsement.:D

Yahoshua
05-12-08, 03:39 AM
The solution is simple: you move the front-line of the crowd back about 25 meters or so. The distance alone creates a substantial barrier for anyone stupid enough to attempt an assassination with a sidearm, add uniformed troopers, overwatch sentries, the fact that the candidate will be wearing body armor, and it all adds up to a waste of time to even think about an assassination attempt.

XabbaRus
05-12-08, 04:12 AM
Yes but what does it say about your society that a speaker has to take those precautions so as not to get hit.

Is it that bad if guns were banned at the meeting?

Yahoshua
05-12-08, 10:17 PM
Would it make any difference if the candidate were shot by a legal gun or a stolen one?

Assassination attempts are a means of influencing the balance of power and politics and always will be. Just because one rally is geared toward NRA members doesn't make it any less dangerous than a rally geared toward union workers or party supporters in a particular city.

Besides, the ban itself has absolutely no deterrence on anyone who is determined to assassinate a target. They'll find a way to do it whether it involves a stabbing, shooting, bombing, or poisoning to get it done.

August
05-13-08, 07:06 AM
Yes but what does it say about your society that a speaker has to take those precautions so as not to get hit.

Yeah like there's no need for security measures where you're from right?

Jacky Fisher
05-13-08, 03:59 PM
:-?

If some right-wing nut takes a shot at McCain, I'll know what to blame.

Tchocky
05-13-08, 04:01 PM
The solution is simple: you move the front-line of the crowd back about 25 meters or so. The distance alone creates a substantial barrier for anyone stupid enough to attempt an assassination with a sidearm, add uniformed troopers, overwatch sentries, the fact that the candidate will be wearing body armor, and it all adds up to a waste of time to even think about an assassination attempt.
Think of the visuals.
25m between candidate and crowd, all that says is they're worried of attack but don't want to annoy the NRA.

Yahoshua
05-14-08, 09:47 PM
It wouldn't necessarily become political pandering unless this became a standard security protocol for ALL rallies and speeches where the NRA would make a strong showmanship and lots of fanfare. Otherwise then yes, you'd be right and it'd be another means of trying to put a good face on political back-scratching without actually doing anything. Not that it'd be anything new, but whatever.

NEON DEON
05-15-08, 01:23 AM

Where did bush get a grenade thrown at him?

August
05-15-08, 07:06 AM
Where did bush get a grenade thrown at him?

Not at an NRA convention...