PDA

View Full Version : down pilots

bob224
05-10-08, 04:36 AM
how do you pick them up and get them in to the sub.I had about 7 of them out side of Midway but could not get 1 of them. And I was stopped right next to them but they would not get into the sub.

bob224:-?

Dignan
05-10-08, 09:42 AM
I think that unless your assigned mission is to rescue a downed pilot the downed pilots you come across won't get in your boat. In other words, if you just happen to be near a pilot who was shot down they aren't going to come aboard when you get near. It has to be the purpose of your mission for that to work. It would be cool though if you could pick up downed US pilots for renown points. Or, pick up downed Japanese pilots for prisoner renown points. I smell a mod request.

bammac3
05-10-08, 10:28 AM
No, I've rescued downed pilots without being assigned to do it. Are you using the binoculars and clicking on the rescue button when it lights up? The pilots in the water are like fish...you have to PRY them out. They stubbornly persist in not jumping in the boat.

Bam

bammac3
05-10-08, 10:42 AM
OK, here is the drill. You approach the red cloud of smoke slow and on the surface. You are on the bridge, looking through the binoculars. If you have clicked the binocular tab the menu at the bottom has a button that looks like a round rescue ring (or a donut) when the little cross-hairs in the binoculars turn red you are looking directly at the pilot (you must be VERY close) and the rescue button lights up. Click the button until it no longer is lit and the red smoke dissapears, and you have your pilot.

P.S. Have your aa guns manned while you do this, as often enemy planes will be out and about.

Bam

Dignan
05-10-08, 11:35 AM
I stand corrected. Good to know.

bob224
05-10-08, 01:12 PM
thanks to everyone I tried what everyone said.
1 there are no cross hairs in the binoculars.
2 tbt does but nothing shows up when you get near him
3 there is no life boat sign in the view finder
4 right now my sub is at 1km and very close to the pilot

I am running RSRDC-V350 FOR V14 and RSRDC-V350 patch 1 I have alreay done 1 campaign with 27 patrols, but never had rescue mission.

I hope some one can tell me how to finsh this patrol.

yes I want to do another post,after doing my campaign I have a lot of guestions
I would like to have answered

bob224

bammac3
05-10-08, 02:46 PM
Ok....the binoculars (NOT the TBT) should have a little cross in the middle when looking through them. The life ring button is not IN the binoculars...it is on the menu bar on the bottom left portion of your screen. The life-ring button should be the last button on the right of the bar. Your sub must be RIGHT next to the pilot.

If you go to the UBI SH4 forum up at the top is a sticky with a tutorial with pictures. (However, I have always found THIS forum far more useful.)

...that's all i got.

Bam

bob224
05-10-08, 03:45 PM
well there must be something wrong with my system.
1 no x in binoculars.
2 binocular icon send me to bridge.
3 last button on toolbar is "set view to heading"

when I push B I gt to binoculars,and I also get from the WO"sir,we,ve spotted a friendly avaiator !bearing 000 long range"

must be something wrong that I have put into the game.anone got a suggestion on how I can correct this.

bob224

bammac3
05-12-08, 11:10 AM
Angus McFargus McParsons McGee! Ok, try this. Go to the bridge, you need to be there anyway. Hit "Tab" key on keyboard. You should now be looking through the right binoculars. With a little crosshairs. Button tab on bottom left should now have life ring at the right side. If not....I am stumped.

Bam

Sailor Steve
05-12-08, 11:46 AM
Angus McFargus McParsons McGee!
Now there's a man who knows how to swear properly!:rotfl: :rock:

tomoose
05-12-08, 12:06 PM
I'm running TMO and RSRD and have yet to get a pilot pickup assignment. Having said that I believe bob224 is right as I do not have any 'crosshairs' in my binos at all (and I wouldn't expect any). Perhaps it's a function of the selected "difficulty" or "realism" settings?? The ONLY time I see anything in my binos screen (and which I find annoying) is a small triangle when I'm using the deckgun or the AA.:hmm:

bammac3
05-12-08, 03:08 PM
I'm running TMO and RSRD and have yet to get a pilot pickup assignment. Having said that I believe bob224 is right as I do not have any 'crosshairs' in my binos at all (and I wouldn't expect any). Perhaps it's a function of the selected "difficulty" or "realism" settings?? The ONLY time I see anything in my binos screen (and which I find annoying) is a small triangle when I'm using the deckgun or the AA.:hmm:

Ok....well, that would tend toward making pilot rescue difficult. In my binocular view is a small yellow cross that turns red when it is on a pilot (or any target). I am not running any major mods, (just sound, green button,etc.). I dont know how to help him if the crosshairs dont work....I can only suggest just skipping the mission altogether, and going back for another. Sorry 'bout that.

Bam

bob224
05-12-08, 07:51 PM
I want to thank everyone who tryed to help.but I took bammac3 advice and went back to Pearl and went on another mission.I didn,t sink a ship ,but my men got 6 medals
for doing nothing. But just now I went backl into the game and try the tab,nothing
it's the same with tab,B,F4 or bincular icon.

I was wondering if I could ask some more questions,I just finished doing a full campagin,with 27 potrols.

1 the map is in KM but my missions are in NM,I do,nt know how many NM are in a KM.
what I do is use the ruler and measure out 160 km for 100 nm.Could someone put a
scale for NM in the map.

2 The telegraph is to slow , is there a way to speed it up,to try and lock on to a
target is diffacult.

3 Some time the name in my orders are not on the map ,how come?

4 Acoustic torpedo is not acoustic,I fired at a ship and it went right by it

5 How come the WO can see ship far away and when I got to look I cannot see them. What the heck is ''long rang''?.I try once fallow his direstions and when 600 KM but found nothing.

These are some of the questions I came across while playing the game.

lots of luck everyone
bob224

Kamikaze Krazy
05-13-08, 03:28 AM
"Acoustic torpedo is not acoustic,I fired at a ship and it went right by it." -bob224
Torp Specs:

Mk 27
range: 4,500 yards
speed: 12 kts

Note on the torpedo by me: This fish homes in on ANY sound being made within range.

What I normaly do is get within a range of 3,500 yards (Although I get about 2,500 yards from the target.) and stop my engines and THEN launch the torp. That way it won't home in on you!:ping::o:damn: I had that happen once and yet for some odd reason, it didn't hurt me. My hull was at maximum strength!:-?

Anyway, like I said, make sure you stop your engines (hitting the key to the left of the 1) BEFORE firing. That way, it will pick up the enemy's engine and prop noise and then home toward it as it will only source of racket instead of homing in on you. That way, the enemy is making the noise, NOT YOU!

I hope I was helpful enough for you.:)

tomoose
05-13-08, 09:47 AM
1 the map is in KM but my missions are in NM,I do,nt know how many NM are in a KM.
what I do is use the ruler and measure out 160 km for 100 nm.Could someone put a
scale for NM in the map.
The fol is in caps only for clarity, I'm not "shouting", LOL!;)
THERE IS A COUPLE OF MODS WITH A NOMOGRAPH ( A SCALE THAT IS SUPERIMPOSED ON YOUR MAP AND ALLOWS THIS TYPE OF CALCULATION).

2 The telegraph is to slow , is there a way to speed it up,to try and lock on to a
target is diffacult.
NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN BY TOO SLOW. THE TELEGRAPH IS THE METHOD USED TO TELL THE ENGINE ROOM WHAT SPEED YOU WANT ETC. IS THIS WHAT YOU'RE REFERRING TO? IF YOU'RE REFERRING TO THE PERISCOPE AND TURNING IT THEN SHIFT + ARROW KEY MOVES IT FASTER.
3 Some time the name in my orders are not on the map ,how come?
AGAIN, THERE ARE MODS TO ADDRESS THIS (I RECOMMEND TMO).
4 Acoustic torpedo is not acoustic,I fired at a ship and it went right by it
ACOUSTIC TORPEDOES ARE NOT PERFECT AND MUST BE FIRED WITHIN A CERTAIN RANGE AND ARC OF FIRE. AS MENTIONED THEY GO AFTER ANY ACOUSTIC SIGNATURE TO THEIR FRONT SO MORE SHIPS COULD MEAN MORE CONFUSTION FOR THE TORP SO TO SPEAK. HOWEVER, YOU DON'T HAVE TO STOP YOUR OWN ENGINES AS I'VE SUCCESSFULLY ENGAGED A FEW SHIPS WITH ACOUSTICS AND I WAS MOVING AT A GOOD SPEED.
5 How come the WO can see ship far away and when I got to look I cannot see them. What the heck is ''long rang''?.I try once fallow his direstions and when 600 KM but found nothing.
LONG RANGE CAN BE THOUSANDS OF YARDS AND MORE THERE IS NO SPECIFIC NUMBER RANGE (I.E. BETWEEN 3000YDS AND 20NM). IT IS 'FAR AWAY', LOL!
THE CREW ALWAYS SEEMS TO HAVE MUCH BETTER 'EYESIGHT' THAN YOU AND WILL SPOT SHIPS AT QUITE A FAR DISTANCE. YOU NEED TO PROVIDE MORE DETAIL ON THIS ONE AS GENERALLY I'VE FOUND THAT IF THEY'RE SEEING SOMETHING AT A DISTANCE THEN YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE IT TOO (EITHER WITH THE BINOS OR WITH THE TBT). IT MAY ONLY BE A FAINT WISP OF SMOKE ON THE HORIZON BUT I HAVE NOT HAD ANY FALSE SIGHTINGS YET. IF I CAN'T SEE SOMETHING I'LL ASK FOR A SIGHTING REPORT TO GET A BEARING AND SIGHT ON THAT LINE AND WILL EVENTUALLY MAKE OUT SOMETHING. IT ALSO HELPS WHEN I ADJUST COURSE TO THAT BEARING TO CLOSE THE DISTANCE.

bob224
05-13-08, 07:46 PM
I.l answer kraty first:
I carried all MK27, on one of my missions,first ship I see ,I fire a spread of 3 at 1600 m.The first 2 missed ,the second one hit stern .So now I wait till under 1000m and fire
3 more at the ship,forward of ship,all hit.The ship slowed down to 11 knt,but keep going. No more left to fire,last time I carired MK27.The MK27 has the fire power of firer cracker.

Now to answer Tomoose:{yes I know you were no shouting at me]
I just want someone to tell me how many NM in KM.I live in Canada and use KM all the time
so what I do is use thhe ruler and measue out 1oo Km= 60 miles plus 60km =90 miles
and then figure that is about 100 NM

2 About the telegraph ,when I tell the pilot to center the rudder I want it done now ,not two weeks later.I,m retired military{32 years} and when I tell a person to do something they do it now,that,s all I meant about the telegraph being slow.

3 About the names on the map , I am running RSPDC-V350 -V14,I do not want to put to many mods an top of each other and I,v been playing silent hunter since 1989
,I still have the orginal SH on Floppy.And I,v had just about all the mods at one time or other in the game .And had found that RSPDC the best for me.

4 May be it,s my age ,but when the WO spots a ship ,I go look in all the possible
thing that I can look in,and still cannot see what he see.But as you say it may be to small for me to see at my age, I,ll just have to look a lot closer next.

But again thanks to everyone that got back to me on this,I read the site every day and had lots time want to answer some of the questions people put here but felt that I was not expert enough to answer.

bob224:up:

Elder-Pirate
05-13-08, 08:20 PM
well there must be something wrong with my system.
1 no x in binoculars.
2 binocular icon send me to bridge.
3 last button on toolbar is "set view to heading"

when I push B I gt to binoculars,and I also get from the WO"sir,we,ve spotted a friendly avaiator !bearing 000 long range"

must be something wrong that I have put into the game.anone got a suggestion on how I can correct this.

bob224

When you are on the Bridge ( F5 ) and you are looking for pilots ( or other targets ), click on the "Binoculars" icon ( as below ) and you will see at the far right ( to the left of my yellow cursor ) an icon representing a life saving inflatable device ( shaped like a donut ? ).

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Savepilot2.jpg

One way and a simple way to see through your binoculars ( when at F5 ) roll back your mouse wheel one click and you will see through the binocs and the yellow cross-hairs that turn red when placed upon a target or pilot as in this next pic. If you are running some mod that deletes this function then there is something either wrong with the mod or the way you installed it or both.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Crosshairturnsred.jpg

When the cross-hairs turn red over the pilot the last button on the right here will be highlighted. Click it and REEL him in. :lol:

Oh yeah DO have the AA gunner ( as bammac3 said ) at his gun as I did not one time and got the s--t shot out of me and down went sub and all including the pilot. :damn:

I hope you understand a little more now. :up:

bammac3
05-13-08, 08:54 PM
I was beginning to think the whisky had taken me at last. Please note the menu bar under the binocular button with the life ring button on the right....

Bam

bob224
05-14-08, 07:24 PM
Thanks for getting back to me Elder-Pirate :
To got to bridge in my game is F4,so I went to bridge and moved the wheel up and down,and went from binoculars to bridge but no yellow x . I have ico rescue survivor
on the bar ,but it is not lite up.

This what I have installed in jsgme:
Retronavtoola
Submarine Bearing Tool{3000 yd]
Webster's upgrade deckgun
Improved night visibility mod stag 1
Si Interior kit
ROW clouds from Killer
ROW reflection and searchlight
ROW sky and ocean control vs-5
ROW reflections and roll pitch mod
John Hamm's uniform mod v 1.0
PEI_Donut -2 -standard
Blue green spiderw+rg circules - standard
free MK 18
keyboard 1.2
RSRDC- V350 for - v14
national flags
Recognition manul v2 stock sh4 RSRDC
MK28
RSRDC -v350 patch 1
IJN J yunsenB beta
Torpedo damage fix x2

Now that's all the stuff that is in the game,can anyone see something that should not be there.

thanks again to everyone that's got back to me on this.

bob224:D

Elder-Pirate
05-14-08, 08:29 PM
Thanks for getting back to me Elder-Pirate :
To got to bridge in my game is F4,so I went to bridge and moved the wheel up and down,and went from binoculars to bridge but no yellow x . I have ico rescue survivor
on the bar ,but it is not lite up.

This what I have installed in jsgme:
Retronavtoola
Submarine Bearing Tool{3000 yd]
Webster's upgrade deckgun
Improved night visibility mod stag 1
Si Interior kit
ROW clouds from Killer
ROW reflection and searchlight
ROW sky and ocean control vs-5
ROW reflections and roll pitch mod
John Hamm's uniform mod v 1.0
PEI_Donut -2 -standard
Blue green spiderw+rg circules - standard
free MK 18
keyboard 1.2
RSRDC- V350 for - v14
national flags
Recognition manul v2 stock sh4 RSRDC
MK28
RSRDC -v350 patch 1
IJN J yunsenB beta
Torpedo damage fix x2

Now that's all the stuff that is in the game,can anyone see something that should not be there.

thanks again to everyone that's got back to me on this.

bob224:D

Well for starters the mod "Keyboard 1.2" is made for SH4 1.2 and you are patched to 1.5 ( or was it 1.4 ?, I forget ) either way that may be one of your problems right there.
I personally respect each and every one of our modders for they do work their butts off for us all and they are a bunch of very intelligent people as far as I'm concerned but to much of anything can be possible trouble ( game wise anyway ) and I think you have not weighed out your mods for being OK'ed for 1.4/1.5 use.

You need to maybe trim your sails a little for I fear you have went overboard. :lost: But I could be wrong. :hmm:

P.S. You said that you have the "Rescue Survivor" icon but it is not lit up. The Rescue Suvivor button only lights up WHEN you have the RED cross-hairs on the downed pilot.

Elder-Pirate
05-14-08, 08:51 PM
After read reading your post on this thread bob224 you did not say what version of SH4 you are running, Are you running the newer "U-Boat" add-on which is also version 1.5 ? Please state what version your running and remember it is very wise to make sure your mods are made for the version you are patched to.

Good luck. :up:

bob224
05-15-08, 10:49 AM
I am using SH1.4,we cannot get SH1.5 here in Canada,I'v tryed at Walmart and
E bay, no luck. And I don't give my credit card number over the internet and no one uses COD any more.

keyboard 1.2 gives you the controls from SH3,which I find a lot easier to use,then ones in SH1.4

OK what should I take out of the game to make it run better,I like the mod from
RSRDC,I'v tryed all the rest but find his the best for me.

My game runs good the only thing it does not have is the x in the binoculars and like
a lot of others this is the first time I had to do a rescue mission.

bob224 :D

Elder-Pirate
05-15-08, 01:47 PM
I am using SH1.4,we cannot get SH1.5 here in Canada,I'v tryed at Walmart and
E bay, no luck. And I don't give my credit card number over the internet and no one uses COD any more.

keyboard 1.2 gives you the controls from SH3,which I find a lot easier to use,then ones in SH1.4

OK what should I take out of the game to make it run better,I like the mod from
RSRDC,I'v tryed all the rest but find his the best for me.

My game runs good the only thing it does not have is the x in the binoculars and like
a lot of others this is the first time I had to do a rescue mission.

bob224 :D

If your happy the way the game runs for you then that's the ticket. But one ( or more ) of those mods has destroyed the pilot survivor mission that was intendended for SH4. :cry:

ancient46
05-15-08, 02:44 PM
The captain orders a change in speed, the quartermaster immediately responds and moves the telegraph to the setting. The engine room responds on the phones by increasing or decreasing speed and when the speed is correct responds with the telegraph. That's how it was done on the ships I served on. On surface ships there is also a telegraph for engine shaft revolutions for precise adjustments.

Elder-Pirate
05-15-08, 09:05 PM
On surface ships there is also a telegraph for engine shaft revolutions for precise adjustments.

US Subs have the same thing.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Engrpms.jpg