PDA

View Full Version : Canary Islands

predavolk
05-09-08, 07:51 AM
It's May 1941, and after an agonizing decision about whether to respect realism or to go up and help the Bismark, I decided to go to my patrol zone in between Gibraltar and the Canaries. Unfortunately, I missed perhaps my best chance to bag some really big ships (if not the Hood, the attack force that bagged the Bis). Fortuantely, I picked up a couple of convoys and a few nice lone merchants.

So now, late May-early June 1941, I pulled out the sailing map and noticed that a whole bunch of single-merchant sailing lines converge on the Canaries. I've decided to head down there and have a look for myself, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has hunted this area with any success. I just bagged a large British merchant on the way down there, but I'm hoping to get a lot more action once I arrive on station. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions? Thanks.

Brag
05-09-08, 08:11 AM
I've had good luck in the Central Atlantic, but haven't run into anything close to canaries (but never hung around there either).

Red Heat
05-09-08, 08:49 AM
for me its a desert even in 1941 or earlier...no luck at all!

Gaijin
05-09-08, 09:06 AM
I pulled out the sailing map and noticed that a whole bunch of single-merchant sailing lines converge on the Canaries. I've decided to head down there and have a look for myself, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has hunted this area with any success.

I tried the same twice before in two different careers, '41 and '42, I think, and didn't see or hear anything. I only gave it two weeks though.

nikbear
05-09-08, 12:10 PM
for me its a desert even in 1941 or earlier...no luck at all!

Same here,it looks like it should be lone merchant heaven(my favourite victims)but its barren,wasted loads of time with very little to show for it:nope:

Kipparikalle
05-09-08, 02:11 PM
I think british have created Philadelphia teleporting device.
I got sound bearing on a british Task Force, we were closing on each other. But then, poof. They were gone.

*******ing hackers

Red Heat
05-09-08, 02:53 PM
I got sound bearing on a british Task Force, we were closing on each other. But then, poof. They were gone.

*******ing hackers

:rotfl:

Jimbuna
05-09-08, 04:31 PM

*******ing hackers

LOL :rotfl:

It's actually a pretty productive convoy route (just to the left) later in the war http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4030/winkbigid2zj6.gif

HW3
05-09-08, 10:36 PM
I've found single and double merchants West of the Canaries in 1940 and 1941. Some turned toward Gibraltar around the top, while others continued North.

BasilY
05-13-08, 12:40 AM
I once encounterred a very unlikely situation. I was docking at Salamis in Greece for a few times. I would find single allied vessels right in the Agean sea not far from port. In an area under german air cover with limited room to manuver. What were they thinking:rock:

Jimbuna
05-13-08, 05:49 AM
An early version of the Allied naval kamikaze brigade perhaps ;)