PDA

View Full Version : Strange CTD's in TMO, PE 3 and PE 3.1

banjo
05-04-08, 04:54 PM
Everything in the game works splendidly except when I take serious damage or am about to be destroyed/sunk. Then, before the game goes into all the death scenes, I am crashed to desktop with the 'report to MS' screen. Anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks.

stabiz
05-04-08, 08:59 PM
Vista? I read somewhere else about a Vista user having dificulties with PE.

banjo
05-04-08, 09:26 PM
No, XP Home. I dont think I had this problem with just TMO, and I don't think I had it with TMO and ROW, but I'm not sure--a guy keeps trying different mods and then it's hard to remember what did what. I'm not saying it is a PE issue--I just don't know. But it didnt used to happen. All I'm using now is TMO, PE 3 and PE 3.1 which I just added today.

kriller2
05-05-08, 01:28 AM
PE 3 is not compatible with TM, as they uses 2 different datafiles, if you read the readme file it says so 2-3 times :p

Anyway I have made a TM compatible version where all the TM files where used for PE3.2 go to the mod selection to find out more:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136278

There are allso a surprise in the new version ;)

banjo
05-05-08, 09:25 AM
Thanks Kriller. I read that in someone else's post but I also read your comment aboout fixing it. I read the readme file that came with Pe3 and Pe 3.1 and didn't see that warning, so I assumed I have the compatible mod.

Am I confused? Happens a lot.

banjo
05-07-08, 11:34 AM
Just as an addendum to the above: I installed PE 3.2 as suggested. Subsequently, I was being depth charged and as before CTD. However, this time the ctd was so dramatic that I could not get back into that career. Even tho I had the career saved under three seperate names, everytime I tried to get back into it
it CTD. So for now, I uninstalled all three PE's and am back to just TMO.

kriller2
05-08-08, 02:48 PM
Just as an addendum to the above: I installed PE 3.2 as suggested. Subsequently, I was being depth charged and as before CTD. However, this time the ctd was so dramatic that I could not get back into that career. Even tho I had the career saved under three seperate names, everytime I tried to get back into it
it CTD. So for now, I uninstalled all three PE's and am back to just TMO.

I would realy like to know if anyone else have experienced such CTD's :o with the new patch for TM in PE 3.2? the mod is downloaded 1000 times and I haven't had any reports about such a serious crash.

@Banjo what mods did you run when the serious crash happened?
Did you install TM and PE3 in this order?

TM
ROW PE3 Install #1
PE3 (any of the special effects mods)
PE3_1 Ship_debris_SH4_fixed_with bodies
PE3_1 Sky and reflection controls and textures
PE3_2_reflections_mod for harbour and objects
PE3_2 submarine bubbles and caustics and roll pitch for TM (important!)
PE3_2 patch for TM (important!)

It's important to install the 2 above as the last mods after TM if you want to use PE3 with TM.

etheberge
05-08-08, 10:45 PM
Guys,

I have had that same crash to desktop that banjo is referring to when taking damage before but I doubt it's related to PE3. I've never had it installed. I do have TM and PE2.

I think it's related to a sound addon but I'm not sure. I uninstalled all the sound mods I had and it hasn't CTD since. Before it used to do it everytime I took damage.

I was never able to trace the cause conclusively, maybe on my next complete re-install.

TDK1044
05-09-08, 06:42 AM
I gotta tell you that I just run TMO 1.5B with Environmental effects off..yes 'off', and volumetric fog on, and the game looks stunning and runs really smoothly. All the reflections are there, as TMO contains W-Clear's Environmental mod. No conflicts and high frame rates here. Love it. :D

Wilcke
05-09-08, 09:33 AM
I gotta tell you that I just run TMO 1.5B with Environmental effects off..yes 'off', and volumetric fog on, and the game looks stunning and runs really smoothly. All the reflections are there, as TMO contains W-Clear's Environmental mod. No conflicts and high frame rates here. Love it. :D

I am doing the same thing. Here is my list.

TMO 1.5B
RSRDC
RSRDC Patch
PE2 Clouds

TDK1044,

Kriller did a beautiful job on these clouds, and the mesh really well with W_Clears work and TMO. No conflicts works well. You might give them a go.

Happy Hunting guys!

kriller2
05-09-08, 09:41 AM
TM / EE does not include:
- New smoke, shell effect, depth charge and oil leaks effects
- Debris mod with floating bodies and lifeboats after you sink a ship.
- New textures for everything, sand, harbour, seafloor and trees etc.
- Enhanced reflections and caustics for the submarines and more underwater bubbles (now allso for uboats)
- Roll pitch mod to make the submarine move more realistic to the waves (now allso for u-boats)
- Better reflections for all houses and objects in harbour.
- Highres clouds

I don't think that you should give the advice to avoid PE3, just because one user out of 1000 are having problems with CTD's using PE3 andTM, it might not even be PE3's fault but an error in the installation process.

The CTD's can ONLY be seen if you use PE3 with TM, if you use PE3 without TM there should be no problems, it's because Ducimus have changed all the submarines data files, so you have to install the included patch 3_2 for the submarines.

TDK1044
05-09-08, 10:41 AM
Thanks, Wilcke. I guess I'm just a big fan of the simpler it is the better it works. It's all very subjective obviously, but as TM is an integral part of my gaming experience, I'm pleased to be just running one mod. I really like the reflective environmental look of the game in TMO 1.5B. I'll try those clouds though. :D

Doolittle81
05-09-08, 12:28 PM
I don't think that you should give the advice to avoid PE3, just because one user out of 1000 are having problems with CTD's using PE3 andTM, it might not even be PE3's fault but an error in the installation process.

The CTD's can ONLY be seen if you use PE3 with TM, if you use PE3 without TM there should be no problems....

I am one of those who are unable to use PE3 with SH4 1.5, and I do not use TM. I have reported my experience in other threads in great detail, and have crossed paths there with a few others who have major CTDs/BSODs when using PE3 with SH4 1.5. In my opinion, there is something in SH4 1.5 which conflicts with NVidia + VISTA + 8800gtx cards causing BSODs immediately and invariably when PE3 is enabled. (However, W_Clear's Environmental MOD will work if "Post Processing" and "Texture High" options are turned OFF)

As I have noted elsewhere, I can run SH4 1.4 flawlessly with PE3 (and about 20 other MODs) enabled.

Meanwhile, in my case, I never give advice to not use PE3...I've simply reported my experience and testing/research for those encountering SH4 1.5 CTD's and BSODs.

banjo
05-09-08, 12:59 PM
As I reported in another thread, I subsequently had a CTD using TMO alone after I had uninstalled all the PE mods--so in my case it wasn't a PE mod causing the CTD's. I have deleted the game and all of it's files, reinstalled it and 1.4 patch and TMO. I assume I had a corrupt file somewhere. Oh, and I've never had any separate sound mods installed. I haven't received any serious damage since the reinstall so don't know if problem is fixed. Fingers crossed....

frogdog
05-10-08, 06:58 AM
With/without TMO 1.5....with/without PE3...I get random CTD anywhere from 5/20 minutes into play and ALWAYS when I'm in"no time compression". I can sail across the Pacific all day at 512+ with no problem. My CTD shuts game off AND shuts down my computer. I have also experienced the same problem with "Sniper Elite"...5/20 minutes into game...game shuts down/computer shuts down.
My suspicion is that some sort of Windows XP Microsoft upgrade is incompatible with the Silent Hunter IV/Sniper Elite codes.
This problem started sometime early 08...and game reinstalls/mod deletions do not correct it.
It is frustrating to be unable to complete a "perfect attack setup" because the game crashes (randomly) somewhere after "ship spotted" and before torp launch...ALWAYS!!!

banjo
05-10-08, 09:26 AM
One additional thought--in a different forum or thread, can't remember where, a guy claimed the last Windows update had messed up his gaming. He was trying to work with MS I believe for help. That is something that never occured to me.

frogdog
05-10-08, 12:56 PM
The "other guy" was me. Ive tried everything mentioned...re-install SHIV (and Sniper Elite..no mods)...without mods...with mods...with only TMO and RSRD...and the problem persists. I have yet to get response from MS...and am beginning to suspect I never will. SH IV is a great sim....up until the action starts...it then becomes worse than worthless. Wonder if Ubi could delve into the technical end...or some of our computer literate super community.
I run a Radeon Vidio/Creative sound card on a jacked up DELL Gen 3 XPS...with Windows XP Home.

banjo
05-10-08, 02:03 PM
That is very strange. If you ever figure it out be sure to let us know what happened.