PDA

View Full Version : No map contact updates tips

Syxx_Killer
05-02-08, 07:26 PM
I have never really used no map contact updates at length. I did recently do a single mission with it (100% realism) and the added tension was awesome. However, with no map contact updates I feel like a fish out of water (pardon the bad pun :oops:). I have looked for tips before, but it always seems to be for manual targeting (I can do it, albeit I need a LOT of practice.). I know no map contact updates is a big part of that, but how do you plot a radar contact's distance, course, and speed in heavy fog? How do you know if you have an aircraft contact? Do you just check both radars for a return? I saw the advanced sonar manual targeting tutorial videos (I forget who made them) and they look way out of my league. I just feel so lost. Can someone give some easy to understand tips on how to plot successfully? I would really appreciate it! :yep:

banjo
05-03-08, 08:25 AM
The way I plot radar returns is by clicking on the parallel ruler on the map screen. Then place it over the return and click. Then stretch it out in the direction you think the plot is moving. Wait till it moves and then adjust your line. Do that a few times and you will have an accurate course line. You can also do this same thing using the pencil and making consecutive marks as the plot moves. If you are submerged use the same process but put your line on the very tip of each sonar contact line that is drawn on the map (these lines may be an option--I don't recall. They appear on my map but maybe not on yours).

akdavis
05-03-08, 08:51 AM
The way I plot radar returns is by clicking on the parallel ruler on the map screen. Then place it over the return and click. Then stretch it out in the direction you think the plot is moving. Wait till it moves and then adjust your line. Do that a few times and you will have an accurate course line. You can also do this same thing using the pencil and making consecutive marks as the plot moves. If you are submerged use the same process but put your line on the very tip of each sonar contact line that is drawn on the map (these lines may be an option--I don't recall. They appear on my map but maybe not on yours).

That wouldn't work very well with map contact updates turned off.

Orffen
05-04-08, 06:17 AM
I stopped using "no map contacts" with TMO because of the lack of radar contact plots. I didn't think about checking the radar screens themselves once a contact was reported, and I'm not sure if you'd get a good bearing/range with them (don't have much experience there yet).

If you can get decent range and bearing off those screens then you can manually mark a rough position, time for 3 minutes and remark, then measure course and speed from there as per most of the manual targeting tutorials... It would be a bit tougher with sonar, but there's the risk of checking out a contact only to find out it's a warship!

Hmm maybe I'll turn "no map contacts" back on :D

Fish40
05-05-08, 06:41 AM
Check this out: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134566&highlight=radar+range+rings This mod adds bearing lines and range rings to the radar. I've been useing this with "No Map Updates" with pretty good success. At least now with this mod, you could plot with some degree of accuracy, a targets coarse, and range! Give it a try.

Nisgeis
05-05-08, 08:33 AM
As Fish40 says you can use that range ring mod to guestimate ranges, but watch out! I am fairly sure that the radar's range settings of 8,000, 20,000 and 80,000 are in fact in meters, not yards, so that's another nice layer of uncertainty. You can use the PPI screen to get rough bearing to your target and range can be guestimated from the PPI or the 'A' Scope. The 'A' scope in theory should offer better precision, as it's twice the length, but it's logorithmic, so it's not so accurate at longer ranges. The 'A' scope gives bearings that are arced to the left, in version 1.4, by 9 degrees (it should really be 5 degrees), meaning a target at a bearing of 180 degrees will show on the 'A' Scope from 171 degrees to 180. I don't know why it does this, as the sonar give an arc where the target is in the centre of the bearing readings. Take successive readings for range and bearing and plot them - make a note of the times you take the readings. Once you've got a plot, you can calculate speed from distance/time.

Does anyone else actually plot using readings taken from the radar?

Quillan
05-05-08, 09:41 AM
I prefer Ducimus' TM settings, so I do not. I leave the map contacts on. I figure without the tail on the boxes and with only a dot for the radar/visual contact, I'm good.

Soundman
05-08-08, 02:24 PM
I prefer Ducimus' TM settings, so I do not. I leave the map contacts on. I figure without the tail on the boxes and with only a dot for the radar/visual contact, I'm good.

I agree with you Quillan. I figure (pretend) my crewman tell me the range and bearing for me and mark the map. Then I plot the course, speed, bow angle etc...Otherwise, one would need to pause the game quite often to manage everyones elses job. Of course, that too could be fun, it's just a matter of preference.