PDA

View Full Version : Conserving Fuel - Fuel Management

Ipecac
04-29-08, 02:00 PM
Hello!

I play SH4 on 100% realism (it's a sim, right?). My objectives are pretty much always to travel to Japan (or thereabouts), sink some merchants and return to Pearl Harbor.
However, it seems like I barely have enough fuel to make it there and back, let alone conduct any maneuvers or hunt at any range once I'm at the target area.

I'm on a porpose class sub. I've resorted to travelling at 1/3 speed, submerged, resurfacing only to recharge the batteries. Is this what I should be doing?

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Ipecac

AVGWarhawk
04-29-08, 03:10 PM
Drive the boat at 9 kts. Stay on the surface as much as possible. Use the forum search function. Plenty of threads on this already. Have fun.

Ipecac
04-29-08, 03:14 PM
Okay, thanks. Sorry for the redundant post.

JetSnake
04-30-08, 08:49 AM
I use the max range at current speed button alot. Then I use the little compass tool to plot a range circle at that point. That way I can get a glance and it gets a rough idea if that max range calculation and cirlce that i just plotted has a US base within it. When I get close I start looking to head back and try to minimize battery charging time.:arrgh!:

SNAKE1937
04-30-08, 11:09 AM
I set my speed at 10.5 and use higher speeds only when flanking a target of high value.
"
If at any time you get battery damage "LOOK OUT" for massive fuel use during cruse speed due to continuing charging of your batteries. As a rule I let the charge go to 100% and if the "charging bat. light" does not go off I turn it off and do the same each time I surface.

When I think a fuel issue may be looming I save a "fuel issue" spot during the patrol and can return to try other tactics to work my way back home or to a refit location.

SH3 was much more realistic in the way it was handled there.

Lastly use only the speed you need while under--- charging cost extra fuel.

Hope this helps. SNAKE1937

Ipecac
04-30-08, 05:23 PM
That's awesome! thanks guys!

-Pv-
04-30-08, 11:07 PM
Charge batteries at 1/3 surfaced. Your batteries will charge at the fastest rate and you'll use less fuel. Once charged, speed up to the normal conservative cruise of 8-10 knots (depending on weather.) Only use faster speeds for chasing and evasion. If you are not being hunted, don't let your battery get below 50% to reduce charging time and the fuel needed to do it. At 2 knots, you can run submerged 12 hours or more on 1/2 the battery.
-Pv-