PDA

View Full Version : OT: PBS TV show - Sinking of the Super Ship

longam
04-28-08, 07:22 AM
Nova is having a show on the sinking of the Yamato.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/supership/

Syxx_Killer
04-28-08, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up! :up:

LukeFF
04-28-08, 11:53 AM
Gonna have to make sure I set this to record on my DVR so I don't miss it!

fred8615
04-28-08, 03:43 PM
Don't bother. It's not a good program at all. They spend the whole hour wondering why Yamato sank, without wondering why her sister Musashi sank nearly a year earlier! In fact, they don't even mention the existence of the Musashi, or the Shinano either for that matter. And they claim Yamato only made two combat sorties in her life, when in fact she made quite a few. And if they got all that wrong, who knows what else they missed or ignored.

Overkill
04-29-08, 08:23 AM
Crap, I bet they don't even mention that in the future it's converted into a huge spaceship...:88)

longam
04-29-08, 07:54 PM
That was pretty good. I liked it a lot because most docudramas are the same few pictures over and over. Ok well now carrier is coming on and I like this series so far. It kind of gives the truth about being in the navy and the boredom between.

Its nice having a TV tuner card in the PC also....:smug:

sharkbit
04-30-08, 07:50 AM
I watched it.....meh.

Like fred said above, they didn't even mention Musashi or the Shinano. They left the impression that Yamato was the only "super" battleship built. Listening to one of the designers and a couple of the survivors was interesting and some of the photos were interesting but it just seemed like it wasn't focused enough. I would rather have seen them focus more on footage of the wreck.

I could have done without the reenactments, but that seems to be what a lot of documentaries do anymore. That's just a personal gripe of mine.

They tried to build up the question of why she blew up, only to quickly say her magazines exploded...well duh. I guess maybe the show was dumbed down and geared toward someone who didn't know anything about WWII.
:)

Soundman
04-30-08, 11:13 AM
That was pretty good. I liked it a lot because most docudramas are the same few pictures over and over. Ok well now carrier is coming on and I like this series so far. It kind of gives the truth about being in the navy and the boredom between.

Its nice having a TV tuner card in the PC also....:smug:

Yes, I'm enjoying the carrier series as well. Gives you a good feel for what it must be like to serve on one.