PDA

View Full Version : Stealth Land?

Quillan
04-27-08, 01:08 PM
April 1944. I'm out on patrol in the USS Billfish, when I get a radio message from Subpac that all Midway-based boats are shifting to Majuro in the Marshall Islands for their new home port. On the way back, I have a little bit of trouble.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/288/288334/pages/757843/Huh.jpg

No matter how close I zoom in on the nav map, all the land is shown on the southern part of the atoll. The first time I tried going in, I'd originally plotted to go north around the shallow water then head south for the tender, but I decided to shift across the shallow water to avoid possible collision with a patrolling destroyer. I ran aground and destroyed the boat. So I reloaded the save game, and redid my return trip from near Formosa. This time, as you can see, I plotted a course across the saddle between the atoll on the south and the shallow water to the north. This isn't shown as the color of the shallowest possible water. This is acutally the color of the fourth shallowest water, which I'd expect to be at least 100-200 feet deep. So how did I run aground taking this course in?

Needless to say, I was on the bridge running this in manually when it happened, and after it did I just reloaded again and just came around from the north. Is there invisible land in the game? I didn't see anything from the bridge, but it's possible it's just too shallow for the boat and the nav map is incorrect there.

Crosseye76
04-27-08, 01:32 PM
Yeah it's probably stealth land. That saddle is about a mile wide on the map, and the bottom is probably shallower than it appears on the map.

Next time you come in, enable your external camera, and look at the bottom as you come in, see just how deep it actually is. I don't know if there is a field there at all, but you might have also hit a mine.

Post a few screenies if you get a view of something good. :cool:

Quillan
04-27-08, 01:45 PM
It was definitely not a mine, at least the first time. I was on the nav map at about 64x time compression when I heard this horrible noise. The game dropped into the control room view for maybe a second where things were going haywire, lights flashing and people falling with water everywhere, then it cut to an external view showing my boat nose down in the water with the back end hanging out of the water. I only got that for a couple of seconds before it cut to a medal screen giving me the posthumous awards for the patrol, so I missed a screenshot on it. :oops:

Crosseye76
04-27-08, 01:50 PM
You'll have to recon it then. Go in from about where you started on the screen you posted, on 1X time compression with the External Camera on, and just see what is to be seen.

Quillan
04-27-08, 02:01 PM
Did that. The "Shallow water" is probably shallow enough to wade in. Not surprising I ran aground in this.
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/288/288334/pages/958876/Shallow.jpg

However, the other section isn't that shallow. It took me a bit to figure out what it was.
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/288/288334/pages/958876/Nets.jpg

Why oh why doesn't our chart show where our own minefields and anti-sub nets are?

bammac3
04-27-08, 09:25 PM
Midway and Majuro as Home Ports? I have never seen them as anything but refits. Is this a 1.5 or Mod thing? I get Pearl, Brisbane or Asiatic only as home ports.

Thanks,

Bam

Crosseye76
04-27-08, 09:42 PM
Why oh why doesn't our chart show where our own minefields and anti-sub nets are?

LOL !!! Ah.... that clears things up. I thought about mines, but forgot about anti-sub nets ! :damn:

Thanks for the screenies ! :up:

LukeFF
04-28-08, 04:54 AM
Midway and Majuro as Home Ports? I have never seen them as anything but refits. Is this a 1.5 or Mod thing? I get Pearl, Brisbane or Asiatic only as home ports.

It's a part of the RSRD campaign mod.

tater
04-29-08, 05:16 PM
They are not sub nets, but sub nets filling in for a critical, show stopping feature missing from SH4...

REEFS.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/pacific_islands_1943_1945/majuro_atoll.jpg

tater