PDA

View Full Version : Best use of Decoys?

Q3ark
04-27-08, 07:24 AM
How do you use them? Is it best to fire one out when being pinged or after a deapth charge run.

I have never used them but evading a couple of DD's in TMO is a nightmare and i need all the help i can get.

Quillan
04-27-08, 08:56 AM
I don't know how effective this is, but generally I use them when avoiding a depth charge attack. I'll hit flank speed for a short period of time to get out from under the charges, then reduce back to silent running and change course, firing a decoy as I turn. I know they'll have heard me at flank and have a pretty good idea where I was, so I hope the decoy makes them think I'm still there.

banjo
04-27-08, 09:40 AM
If there are destroyers in the vicinity, as soon as I am done firing torpedos I launch a decoy or two and then dive below the layer and move away at 2/3. The decoys seem to work as an external look shows them circling around where I launched it (generally).

Q3ark
04-27-08, 11:39 AM
Those both sound like good ideas. Will try them out when I get a chance all I can find at the moment is sampans and fishing boats. Will have to find some DD's to torment :cool:

Terror_666
04-27-08, 01:28 PM
If there are destroyers in the vicinity, as soon as I am done firing torpedos I launch a decoy or two and then dive below the layer and move away at 2/3. The decoys seem to work as an external look shows them circling around where I launched it (generally).

That is generally the methode I use. Launch a Decoy and go deep below the thermal layer where surface sonar is next to useless.