PDA

View Full Version : GWX2.1-Slow 1st Patrol Load Time. Normal?

sharkbit
04-24-08, 08:26 AM
I need some advice on if this is normal or not.

Background:
I've been playing stock SH3 patched to 1.4b for a couple of weeks. I've done 4 patrols during my career. I decided to add GWX2.1 to my game yesterday. So I got home yesterday and downloaded all of the GWX2.0 files and installed them with no problem and then added the GWX2.1 files and installed them with no problem.
Rebooted the computer and everything seemed fine. I went to the tutorial and everthing worked-:|\\ .

I go to my career page, open my last patrol-(I was in port-I waited till my last patrol was finished before I installed the expansion) and the career begins to load but the red load bar stops when it is about 90% done. I wait and nothing happens. My patience ran out and I rebooted. I thought maybe I need start a new career, which is fine. I was only 4 patrols into this one and I have no heartache starting over. I deleted all of my previous saves and career and started a new career from Kiel.
Load for my first patrol and the same thing happens.:damn:
I looked in the user guide and it talk about long load times, but I was thinking it maybe meant on initial load when opening the game but I was out of time(had to pick up the kiddies) so things would have to wait until later.

That night, I thought I would just start from scratch. I totally removed all of my silent hunter files and GWX files from my computer. Did a fresh install of the game, rebooted, installed GWX2.0, rebooted, installed GWX2.1, rebooted, opened up the game, started a new career, and....
Same damn thing-load bar gets to about 90% and stops.:damn: :damn: :damn:
This time though, my patience was a little longer and just when I was ready to go beat the dog ;) , I get the opening message and I'm at the dock in Kiel.:huh:

So, I started my first patrol in a IIA from Kiel on August 1.

I thought I saw a post not long ago about a similar problem but haven't been able to find it so I thought I'd ask....

Is this normal for starting a patrol with GWX2.1?
And, will this get better during a patrol or not?
Or, am I just condemned to a long load time every time I load a saved game?

Sorry for the rambling and thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can give me. :)

Tango589
04-24-08, 08:38 AM
Hey Sharkbit

The long loading times happen because GWX 2.1 has so much more information than stock+1.4b to load onto your computer that it can take a fair time. I don't know what your computer's specs are but 2 GB of of ram are recommended to get the best out of your computer.

Hopefully someone with a bit more technical know-how will be along soon so give any more advice.

Ps.

Welcome to subsim and Bdu says 'Sink them all'!:arrgh!:

McHibbins
04-24-08, 08:42 AM
Merged Campaign ? Black Sea Campaign ? Indian Ocean Campaign ?
If you activate even one of these mods loading times will be much longer...also the other informations and adds of GWX will need their time.

danlisa
04-24-08, 08:43 AM
Yes, it's completely normal due to the amount of addtional content that needs to load.

Found it!.....

Stock 1.4b:
Air Units = 13
Sea Units = 49
U-Boats+Subs = 8
SCR Campaign = 19249 lines
RND Campaign = 402082 lines
LND Campaign = 11968 lines
Total = 433299

GWX 2.0: (not 2.1)
Air Units = 40
Sea Units = 182
U-Boats+Subs = 24
SCR Campaign = 486859 lines
RND Campaign = 629050 lines
LND Campaign = 53925 lines
Total = 1169834 :o

Thats a 169.98% increase in campaign scripting alone. Don't forget, when you click START, all the items above are loaded each & every time into your PC's memory.

Tango589
04-24-08, 08:44 AM
If you activate even one of these mods loading times will be much longer...also the other informations and adds of GWX will need their time.

Whoops! Forgot to mention those extra campaigns.:88)

danlisa
04-24-08, 08:44 AM
Actually, Mr McHibbins

The only one that will increase load time is the Merged Campaign.

All the other reduce load times and they are specific locale mods.:yep:

sharkbit
04-24-08, 09:06 AM
:hmm: So, I gather from these first replies that this is normal. Makes me feel a lot better. I'm looking forward to continuing on. :D

I do not have any of the other campaigns mentioned above enabled...I think.
Don't you enable them with the JGMES thingy that is installed with GWX2?

I have 1GB of RAM on my computer. I just doubled the RAM from 512 last week. There's no way I'd be able to convince my wife that we need more now. :nope:

Thanks for the help.
:)

McHibbins
04-24-08, 09:08 AM
Actually, Mr McHibbins

The only one that will increase load time is the Merged Campaign.

All the other reduce load times and they are specific locale mods.:yep:

Uuuups...jepp....sry, my mistake :oops:

danlisa
04-24-08, 09:12 AM
I have 1GB of RAM on my computer. I just doubled the RAM from 512 last week. There's no way I'd be able to convince my wife that we need more now. :nope:

Thanks for the help.
:)

Psst, a good pair of ladies shoes are the same price as a 1 GB ram stick.;)

There's ways around every hurdle.

sharkbit
04-24-08, 09:17 AM
[quote=danlisa
Psst, a good pair of ladies shoes are the same price as a 1 GB ram stick.;)

There's ways around every hurdle.[/quote]

Mama's birthday is coming up in June. I may be able to butter her up some then with my 43 year old boyish charm and good looks. :D

Sailor Steve
04-24-08, 09:56 AM
Probably better to stick to unadulterated begging.

Captain Nemo
04-24-08, 10:10 AM
If it's any consolation, I have 1 gig of memory like you and use GWX 2.1 with the merged campaign applied and it takes about 6-7 minutes for my saves to load up.

Nemo

Jimbuna
04-24-08, 11:34 AM
Be careful how you walk in those high heels :lol:

@Captain Nemo...1GB should be fine, but 2GB is actually better than twice as good ;)

Murr44
04-24-08, 11:48 AM
I have 4GB on my pc & I find that using the Lite Harbour Traffic Mod that came with GWX 2.0 does help speed load times a little. It's a great option if sometimes, you don't want to deal with a lot of harbour traffic. I'm just a wee bit impatient.:D...

VIICDriver
04-26-08, 06:38 AM
2GB here and mine hangs for some time at the 90% red bar mark as well. Thats the time I go grab a cup of coffee and by the time I'm back I'm usually loaded up listening to the music playing, watching the girls throw flowers and the guy who for whatever reason cannot get that motorcycle to kick start!

It IS a little longer with GWX 2.0/2.1 than vanilla 1.4b...small sacrifice.

Chuck