PDA

View Full Version : Lightships in GWX 2.1

Captain Nemo
04-22-08, 06:49 AM
During my shakedown cruise in August 1939 I decided to head for the English Channel. Anyway, about 9kms off of Dover I decided to pop up on to the conning tower to have a look round. To my astonishment we were heading directly for a lightship. My watchcrew were oblivious to it's presence and I couldn't lock on to it with my UZO, it was as though it wasn't there. Needless to say I changed course and past a few metres from it. If I hadn't gone up to the bridge I could of ended up ramming it. Spotted another lightship near Holland again no 'ship spotted' from the crew etc. My question is, is this intentional?

Nemo

filefool
04-22-08, 07:32 AM
I noticed the same in my first shakedown cruise to Dover. I guess lightships are treated as "environmental" objects such as lighthouses. If that's the case then they would be indestructable. I never tried to sink them myself though.

Captain Nemo
04-22-08, 07:45 AM
I noticed the same in my first shakedown cruise to Dover. I guess lightships are treated as "environmental" objects such as lighthouses. If that's the case then they would be indestructable. I never tried to sink them myself though.

Thanks for the reply filefool at least that eliminates it being something to do with my installation of SH3/GWX 2.1. If I remember rightly, lightships were spotted by the crew in previous versions of GWX and the manual states that you can sink them but won't get much renown (p.438). How you would achieve this without being able to lock on to the target beats me though, not that I would want to sink one of course.

Nemo

mengle
04-22-08, 08:39 AM
i send couple months ago a PM to KPT. Lehmann and this was his anwser

Due to a problem with SH3 itself, in order to make the lightships remain in place, (Anchored vessels in SH3 always drift...) we had to make the lightships into a unit type that is not detectable.

Lightships should always have a more standard unit nearby so that your crew will spot it, and so that you will not collide with the lightship.

Sorry, it is a problem with SH3 that we cannot fix.

Jimbuna
04-22-08, 08:43 AM
You'll generally find something small like a tug or a fishing vessel scripted nearby.

Don't bother wasting any ordnance trying to sink them http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

bigboywooly
04-22-08, 08:48 AM
Not entirely correct
All the available type= ( patrol boat=1,Corvette=2 etc ) are used
There is no way to add any more
The only way I could get the lightship ingame and not spawn randomly in convoys was to make it enviromental

Now you crew wont spot it
TC will drop to 8 as if they have seen it and there is another sightable unit very close by
It maybe that some of those sightable units close by do not appear till Sept 1st which is why its noticable now and not previously

@ Captain Nemo
Yes in versions of GWX 1 they were spottable but in 2.0 not

In GWX 1.* they were classed as type=100
But in order to add the CAM ship\Proteus collier and another coal carrying unit whose name escapes me I had to reclassify the lightship and use the type=100 for those others

Now the type=100 are available to spawn in convoys at a low rate so you have a chance of seeing a CAM ship or the other 2

Game limitations in a way as we have run out of usable type=

Captain Nemo
04-22-08, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the replies, that explains it:up: .

Nemo

Sailor Steve
04-22-08, 11:11 AM
If I remember rightly, lightships were spotted by the crew in previous versions of GWX...
I could be wrong but I don't think so. Heading for Poland out of Kiel in 2.0 my crew spotted a ship, and there was a lightship but it had a tugboat right next to it. In external views I could lock onto the tug but not the lightship. It was like it wasn't there.

Jimbuna
04-22-08, 03:40 PM
If I remember rightly, lightships were spotted by the crew in previous versions of GWX...
I could be wrong but I don't think so. Heading for Poland out of Kiel in 2.0 my crew spotted a ship, and there was a lightship but it had a tugboat right next to it. In external views I could lock onto the tug but not the lightship. It was like it wasn't there.

That's correct, as stated by Steve, because there was always another ship nearby.

At the start of GWX2.1 you should be in August 39, therefore, as already stated by BBW, some vessels may not be scripted to appear until September 39.

Go into the Mission Editor and check it out.