PDA

View Full Version : Water powered cell phones will be ready by 2010

SUBMAN1
04-21-08, 11:42 AM
I'm not a fan of cell phones, but anything powered by water is cool in my book! :up:

http://www.sem.samsung.com/cms/_work/en/company/news/newsView.jsp?seq=641

-S

Trex
04-21-08, 12:27 PM
Be interesting to see what the metal is. The only one I can think of (and my chemistry is admittedly rusty) that would react with water to produce hydrogen and a metal oxide is sodium and its cousins. That reaction winds up producing a lot of heat and a corrosive solution afterwards.

Any chemistry wizzes out there who can clarify this?

mcf1
04-21-08, 12:41 PM
there also could be a nuclear powered cell phone... better not to dangerous right?:rotfl:

StdDev
04-21-08, 12:47 PM
Bah...
I want a Diesel-Electric cell phone!

PeriscopeDepth
04-21-08, 01:05 PM
Bah...
I want a Diesel-Electric cell phone!

"That's a weird ring tone you have."
-"It's not ringing, it's snorkeling."

PD

Trex
04-21-08, 02:01 PM
Ringing or pinging?

bookworm_020
04-21-08, 10:26 PM
SMS's are reported by yells of "ALARM!":D

Geno_Mariner
04-21-08, 11:36 PM
Be interesting to see what the metal is. The only one I can think of (and my chemistry is admittedly rusty) that would react with water to produce hydrogen and a metal oxide is sodium and its cousins. That reaction winds up producing a lot of heat and a corrosive solution afterwards.

Any chemistry wizzes out there who can clarify this?
Depends on the metal, it probably could. Gah, my Chemistry got rusty already! (And I plan to work in Nuclear science :oops:)

EDIT: Waaaaaaait a min! The metal used is *checks chemistry periodic table* aw darn, it's not in there. I just read the redux reaction equation they had in the diagram. I thought they already said what metal it was in the equation= Me+2H20 --> Me(OH)2+H2. I thought "Me" was an actual element :oops: (My thought went to Molybdenum it's "Mo" lol)

SMS's are reported by yells of "ALARM!"
my phone's got the various Submarine Nuclear Reactor alarm, collision and diving alarms as ring tones! :lol: (I recorded them onto the phone) I could probably shout "ALARM!" for my SMS :p