PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP going off market

Lagger123987
04-17-08, 04:17 PM
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/25252

SUBMAN1
04-17-08, 05:26 PM
Wrong - it got extended till June 2010.

It might simply be difficult to find a retail box after this year though. That does not mean you can't buy it.

You can buy Windows 2000 still from MS if you want.

-S

PS. I wonder if MCE 2005 is also gone? That is the best OS MS has put out to date.

JSLTIGER
04-17-08, 06:16 PM

It might simply be difficult to find a retail box after this year though. That does not mean you can't buy it.

-S

PS. I wonder if MCE 2005 is also gone? That is the best OS MS has put out to date.

Only XP Home Edition Survived.

Skybird
04-17-08, 06:24 PM

-S

Only XP Home Edition Survived.
After June 2008, XP Home goes only to producers of ultra-cheap PCs whose hardware cannot run Vista. It will no longer be sold as a separate item. The article said that, btw, and I said it with another link two weeks ago, too (I initially also understod it wrong that it would be sold until 2010).

SUBMAN1
04-17-08, 07:30 PM
As I said above, if you still want 2000 Pro, you can buy it. Retail boxes or preloaded machines will be the only ones getting more difficult to find.

Catfish
04-18-08, 02:51 AM
Hello,
huh ? I just read XP will be supported until 2012, when Windows version 7 will hit the market. It also seems that Vista seems to be somehow written off. I will search for the link -
Greetings,
Catfish

Skybird
04-18-08, 05:19 AM
Hello,
huh ? I just read XP will be supported until 2012, when Windows version 7 will hit the market. It also seems that Vista seems to be somehow written off. I will search for the link -
Greetings,
Catfish
Microsoft originally announced over a year ago that Windows XP would be going off the market (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/25227) in January 2008. XP was later given a brief stay of execution, to June 30, 2008 (http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/47939). (...) Will Windows XP really no longer be on sale after June 30? Sorry for the double negative, but no. All this means is that Microsoft will stop selling the OS. Finding a computer with XP preinstalled will likely be very difficult, as well.
It then says that via second hand buys and originals already on the market XP will nevertheless be available if you search for it. Just that Microsoft does not throw new copies on the market.

And the link to the thread I started 2 weeks ago (and were I showed that I also misunderstood it initially). Since there I depend on a German newspaper, the thread is of little interest now.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=134485

bradclark1
04-18-08, 08:30 AM
Hello,
Greetings,
Catfish
It might just be I have a new machine but I have zero problems with Vista. The only real downers are the two or three times you have to authorize an install and I prefer the XP Programs menu. There were patches for my printer and X45 joystick so I have no problems in that reguard. All my programs I've loaded so far work.

peterloo
04-18-08, 10:05 AM
New copies of Windows XP will NOT be available anymore after a deadline (June 08 if I'm right). Nowadays, it's possible for you to purchase a system with preinstalled Windows Vista Business or Ultimate, and then request a downgrade to Windows XP Professional before the deadline. However, Vista Basic, or Home Premium, will be out of bound of this, unfortunately.

I've recently downgraded my newly purchased notebook to Windows XP despite it is built for Vista. I do this because I found out Vista is slow, even if I've got 3Gb RAM and a reasonable CPU. I feel annoyed of the authorization stuff too, but that isn't the reason why I decided to downgrade.

If someone needs to purchase a copy of Windows XP after the deadline, you might check out some retailers, as they might have some stocks being unsold.