PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Command Journal : U-11

madbomber
04-14-08, 04:53 PM
As a fan of the Type II boats I have come up with the "fictional" Coastal Command idea as a way to keep the type II boats in the war! :lol:

Personal Journal of Leutnant (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/ltn.htm) Manfred, 1st Flotilla, Coastal Command

June 7th 1941
Today was the day I have waited for since I became an naval officer. I was assigned my first command. Some people say that I made a mistake by volunteering for 1st Flotilla's Coastal Command, but I think I can prove myself alot faster with my own boat then by spending another year as executive officer on U-65. As we wrapped up command training today, we were handed our official orders. At first my heart sank, but my spirits quickly lifted as I realized it was MY boat. Sure U-11 was an old Type II/A, but with it I would prove myself. There was lots of action to be had around the shallow waters off Britain's coasts.

When I first heard that BdU had ordered the 1st Flotilla to create a coastal force to patrol the shallow waters that the bigger boats stayed clear of I didnt think much of it. I had just returned from my third patrol as executive officer of U-65, a Type VII boat. I knew soon enough I would command one of these steel wolves that patrolled the Atlantic. A few weeks later I returned to Kiel after spending some time with my family in Hanover. Immediatly I heard that Flotilla command was looking for young officers interested in commanding a type II boat for the 1st Flotilla's Coastal Command. Many officers scoffed at the idea. They would wait for their chance to command a newer, larger boat. I am afraid that day my patience failed me. I spoke to the Flotilla commander and within a few weeks I was shipped off to command training. Many of my peers and superior officers said I should wait, but I felt this is what I needed to do! Sadly my old boat, U-65, was sunk on its next patrol south-east of Iceland. All hands were lost, including many friends.

June 15th 1941
I am now on a train into France. The Flotilla, along with Coastal Command, has transferred its operations to Brest. I am very excited to see my boat and meet my crew. U-11 arrived there last week via truck. Most Type IIA and Type IID boats that were still active were supposed to become training boats or be decommissioned. That was until this Coastal Command idea came to be. I hear that the first few CC (Coastal Command) patrols out of Kiel and now Brest have been dangerous, yet very successful. The Brits were getting comfortable in their own waters, now they got to worry about these little U-Boats attacking ships and even warships that think they are safe. Ha! I can hardly wait to get out there myself. I will show all my old friends that I made the right choice. I will prove myself!

June 20th 1941
I write this as I lay on my bunk inside U-11 as she rocks softly in the massive sub pens. The boat is quiet and I am the only person on board. Earlier in the day I was shown my boat for the first time. She is painted in an interesting camoflauge color and the belly is completely red. A few other boats in CC are painted the same. Someone higher up thinks it will blend better if we are close to shore or in shallow water. She is as small as I remember from my earlier experience on a Type II. Nearing six years of service she does show some age, but not much. My briefing earlier informed me that she has has alot of work done, including a larger fuel tank. U-11 will serve Germany well!

After the briefing I also met my crew. Nice chaps. The officers seem to be good men. They dont have much war experience yet, but that will change soon. I have been told that I have about a week to take her out and get to know my crew. We are supposed to go out for our first patrol in the first days of July.

June 29th 1941
My head aches from one too many beers. After a successful shakedown cruise the officers and I decided to go out on the town last night. It was a good time had by all. We discussed many things. They asked alot of questions as I was the only one with battle experience. I trust these are good men. They will learn quick. They must as I hear we may be channel bound in a few days. I will write more about my crew when I have time.

On a sadder note. I was also informed that U-140, a newer Type II/D was lost in the Irish Sea some time yesterday. Her commander had gone through command training with me. He was a good, but very serious man. From all reports there were no survivors after a brutal depth charging. To her credit, U-140 took a small tanker, a large merchant vessel and one attacking destroyer down with her.

July 5th 1941
Tommorrow night U-11 leaves for her first patrol. The details of the patrol leave me a little annoyed and confused. I had assumed that our first patrol would take us into British waters or maybe even close to Gibralter. I was wrong. Earlier today I was summoned to the Flotilla's HQ and informed by the Coastal Command senior officer, Kapitan Bawl, that U-11 was to deliver a naval technician to a naval supply boat in the Canary Islands, just off the coast of Los Palmas. I asked why a Type II boat, with limited range, would be asked to make that voyage. He informed me that High Command wanted the technician delivered ASAP and that no larger boats were heading for that area and that they were stretched thin, leaving only some CC boats available to do the job. He then said that he knew it would not be an easy patrol and handed me the updated list of supply boats that I would need to utilize to make the journey. Before I left he tells me that the hunting is good in that area, especially around Gibralter.

Oh how I hope that U-11 will prove more than that she is just a good delivery boat on this patrol. Perhaps there is glory awaiting her and her crew out there???

madbomber
04-14-08, 04:54 PM
to be continued shortly (reserved space):doh: