PDA

View Full Version : Best cruising grounds from Penang

Wreford-Brown
04-08-08, 05:23 PM
I've finally got tired of listening to everyone talk about the 10th Flotilla and decided to join you. The problem is: I know where the best hunting grounds are in the Atlantic and Med but am struggling in the Far East.

Can one of my fellow Kaleuns point me in the right direction - it's easy to get rid of all 24 eels south of Aden and rack up the tonnage but I'm looking for other places to hunt. For the realists out there, let's call it a quiet chat over a few beers in a bar in Penang while we're both overhauling our U-boats.:|\\

Mittelwaechter
04-08-08, 06:03 PM
From Sydney - all 500 hours with a probability of 50 % - starts a taskforce north- and southwards 1942 to 1945.

Eastern merchant route: Auckland - Colombo - Suez
Southern merchant routes: Melbourne - Colombo - Suez; Melbourne - Suez; Melbourne - Capetown

Good hunting, Herr Kaleun!

Dowly
04-08-08, 06:04 PM
Mittelwaechter, may I just say, your sig is just abso-fricking-lutely brilliant! :o

Wreford-Brown
04-08-08, 09:22 PM
From Sydney - all 500 hours with a probability of 50 % - starts a taskforce north- and southwards 1942 to 1945.

Eastern merchant route: Auckland - Colombo - Suez
Southern merchant routes: Melbourne - Colombo - Suez; Melbourne - Suez; Melbourne - Capetown

Good hunting, Herr Kaleun!

Danke. En route now.:arrgh!:

josefroy
04-08-08, 09:39 PM
How do you call for help? is it the send contact report stuff? Nothing comes out when I click it... Guess Command isn't interested with 2 Hunt II Destroyers with a convoy....

Wreford-Brown
04-08-08, 10:52 PM
It's December 1943 and I've cruised around Australia and not seen one single ship! I looked into Darwin, Thursday Island, Newcastle and Sydney harbours and they are empty of all shipping but have a number of shore batteries. I sat 40km off Sydney harbour for 14 days and saw nothing.

I've got the GWX Merged Campaign enabled and found ships off the Maldives and in the Arabian Sea but nothing around Australia. Am I in a sleepy hollow of WW2 or have I done something wrong?

Elmer Kosterman
04-09-08, 12:32 AM
Tell it to the pencil-pushers at BdU.

melnibonian
04-09-08, 03:11 AM
How do you call for help? is it the send contact report stuff? Nothing comes out when I click it... Guess Command isn't interested with 2 Hunt II Destroyers with a convoy....
Generally speaking if you send a contact report you can get support. One thing to bear in mind though is the position of your boat. If you send a contact report about targets close to France or Norway then the Luftwaffe will probably come to assist you. If you do this in the Indian Ocean it is impossible for the Luftwaffe to reach you so your report is practically a waste of time. I hope that helps.

STEED
04-09-08, 04:50 AM
I must stress this is based on GWX1.3 so as yet I don't know if any changes have been made in GWX2.0 as I have not been down under yet.

In 1943 now and hope to get back down under away from those swarming planes.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=622185&postcount=1

Wreford-Brown
04-10-08, 09:30 PM
Thank you all for your responses.

I found the problem - AvH's Increased ASW Mod had for some reason deleted a number of ships in the Far East. Took off both mods, put Increased ASW in before GWX merged campaign and bingo: ships a plenty!