PDA

View Full Version : How deep can I go with VIIB Boat?

Flashmax09
04-04-08, 12:42 PM
I am currently on a VIIB boat and when I was diving to 180 meters yesterday, the officer is telling "we are diving past crushing depth". So I leveld the boat out to 175 meter.

How deep can I go with VIIB before I get crushed? I think I should be able to go at least 250 meters before I get crushed, is that a safe depth for a while to avoid DC with 100% hull integrity?

How does Hull integrity affect my maximum depth?

For example on my 3rd patrol my boat got rocked with a couple DC and hull integrity was 59% and I stayed at 120 meters, but I survived to see another day :sunny: .

Keelbuster
04-04-08, 12:48 PM
Crush depth depends on hull integrity. Damaged hulls can't go as deep. When you get to crush depth, the boat doesn't 'crush', but rather the light's start to flicker and the helmsman says 'we're taking damage'. Hull integrity starts to drop, and then you get the glorious death screen. If the lights are flickering, quickly reduce your depth until they stop.

Penelope_Grey
04-04-08, 12:54 PM
How can I put this politely... but, the chief's on these boats are wimps.

A VIIB with full hull integrity should be able to go down to about 220m Anything more than that though and its going to crush. VIIC's are better they can stretch to a good 250m with full hull integrity, and the VIIC/41... hoo! Off the dial baby!

As Keelbuster says the lights will flicker and you will hear some very strange noises. If this happens, press E once for a blast of compressed air and hit ahead flank to reduce your depth as fast as you can.

Zajcev
04-04-08, 01:06 PM
How can I put this politely... but, the chief's on these boats are wimps.

A VIIB with full hull integrity should be able to go down to about 220m Anything more than that though and its going to crush. VIIC's are better they can stretch to a good 250m with full hull integrity, and the VIIC/41... hoo! Off the dial baby!

As Keelbuster says the lights will flicker and you will hear some very strange noises. If this happens, press E once for a blast of compressed air and hit ahead flank to reduce your depth as fast as you can.

God will not reload the game when you get killed in real life :D. So I guess real sailors were very cautious about going deeper than test depth.

Once I tested VIIB and it could go only about ~30m below red line, then the sub was slowly getting damaged. Anyway, if you need to go deeper than green, you are doing something wrong.

I would say also DCs are much more devastating in high depth, due to the pressure on the hull. Most dangerous DCs are than explode below your boat.

Phaedrus
04-04-08, 01:19 PM
Crush depth is one area where the game kind of takes a break from historical accuracy.

Even moderate damage in SHIII and GWX can have your boat crushed at 160m .... or even less.

In actuality U-boats often went far deeper than the "crush depth" as coded into the game.

Anyone who had read Iron Coffins can attest to this.

Werner speaks multiple times of losing control of the boat (a heavily damaged boat at that) and each time managing to level it off or gain control at 245, 275, 260, 280 meters and so on.

von hally
04-04-08, 02:04 PM
I am currently on a VIIB boat and when I was diving to 180 meters yesterday, the officer is telling "we are diving past crushing depth". So I leveld the boat out to 175 meter.

How deep can I go with VIIB before I get crushed? I think I should be able to go at least 250 meters before I get crushed, is that a safe depth for a while to avoid DC with 100% hull integrity?

How does Hull integrity affect my maximum depth?

For example on my 3rd patrol my boat got rocked with a couple DC and hull integrity was 59% and I stayed at 120 meters, but I survived to see another day :sunny: .

flaashmax mate

if youre 100% integrity then dive to 200m and silent running....the dd's will have a hard time detecting-depthcharging you mate

if using commanders random crushdepth....then im not quite so sure

the chief is only letting you know youre going a little too deep

but your the captain...remember that!!!!!

FIREWALL
04-04-08, 02:34 PM
You can go as deep as you want. You'll know when you went to far.:p

Phaedrus
04-04-08, 03:13 PM
You can go as deep as you want. You'll know when you went to far.

Ha.

Reminds me of a quote from Time Life: Wolfpack.

"The only men who truly know how far down a boat can dive before the pressure crushes it will keep the secret to themselves."

With no damage, I'd say 220 is the cutoff mark.

I am afraid to go deeper because SH Commander's random crush depth scares me, and I don't know what the random value's fluctuation is.

wolkenwolf
04-04-08, 03:37 PM
just a note: with fresh 1.4, Gwx 2.0, OLC Env+ Instruments

convoi attack in 1939, VIIB - a short moment of ... to much coffee and maybe timecompression and i had to take some DepthCharges. Boat was heavily damaged and flooded - 300m and crew still working - falling down to 410m- end of game.

wtf ?

irish1958
04-04-08, 03:46 PM
There is no limit as to how deep a VIIB can go. Now if you want to survive, that is a different matter.

Elmer Kosterman
04-05-08, 08:38 AM
Crush depth is one area where the game kind of takes a break from historical accuracy.

I'm not so sure. Both from the war and from the game we get anecdotes from people who have survived under 300 meters. The unrealist part of the game is, we get to hear about it when someone gets crushed 200 meters.

In Soviet Russia, hull crushes YOU!

bobchase
04-05-08, 08:48 PM
A 7b in the stock game has a 225m crush depth, if you have 100% hull integrity. Much less if your boat has been wounded. You can modify crush depth to a maximum of 250m if use use Timetraveler's SH3 inspector or his SH3 MiniTweaker programs.

If you want to play 'voyage to see the bottom' and you want to live to tell about it, your going to need a VIIC/42 boat. You can modify that one to go down to 450m.

Bob Chase