PDA

View Full Version : nooby question

U-84
04-04-08, 10:45 AM
just had a question concerning sinking neutral ships in SHIII...without any addons or mods does sinking a neutral ship lose renown, or gain no renown:hmm: ...maybe its just me, but the U.S. did use the lend lease for britain suppyling britain, just saying that maybe neutral ships should count as the one of main points of the U-boat was to sink merchant shipping to Great Britain, and to slowly choke the country. just my opinion here.

Sigurd
04-04-08, 11:01 AM
Unless you mod the game, sinking Neutrals does loose renown. It never made much sense to me either, but its the way it was designed *shrug*. There is a way to change that, but unfortunately, I dont remember what it is. Its in one of the cfg files I believe.

ichso
04-04-08, 11:02 AM
AFAIK you lose renown for sinking neutral ships in stock SH3.

EDIT: too slow :)

Hanomag
04-04-08, 11:02 AM
From the ever elusive community manual.... hope this helps! :yep:

Sinking neutral ships (http://www.mysh3.info/shiii/index.php?title=Sinking_neutral_ships). Neutral ships will cost you the same renown amount that you would earn for sinking the equivalent enemy ship. Armed neutral ships will also begin firing on you. As with sinking friendly ships, sinking neutrals can lead to the end of your career in the Kriegsmarine.

U-84
04-04-08, 11:07 AM
i have heard of people with mods to change the losing renown of sinking neutral ships...just wondering which addon/mod is that?:hmm:

Sigurd
04-04-08, 11:24 AM
Its a tweak more then a mod. One of the CFG files (i think) has the values for renown.

Something like:
Enemy = 1
Neutral = -1
Friendly = -1000

All you do is change the value for Neutral to -1 to 0, or 1. 1 will increase your renown if you sink a neutral, and 0 will leave it the same. Pick which one you'd like, but I think people that use the tweak suggest using 0 instead, as it does discourage sinking neutrals, but if you use one for target practice, or 'accidently' hit one in a convoy, you wont get in trouble.

U-84
04-04-08, 11:33 AM
sorry another nooby question here i apoligize, but how do i tweak it..sorry

Sigurd
04-04-08, 11:51 AM
sorry another nooby question here i apoligize, but how do i tweak it..sorry
I just found it. Open up the basic.cfg (Silent Hunter 3 install path/data/cfg) in notepad. There is a section labeled [RENOWN]. Its similar to what I listed above, with 3 categories: Neutral, Allied, Axis. All you do is change the Neutral setting to 1 or 0 and you're fine.

U-84
04-04-08, 12:45 PM
thanks man appreciate it

Elmer Kosterman
04-05-08, 08:19 AM
In Soviet Russia, renown looses YOU!