PDA

View Full Version : The walter turbine is saving my life!!!!

basilio
04-01-08, 08:22 AM
U-boat type XVIII
April 1944, outside Colombo (Ceylon) harbour.
Made a raid inside the harbour-----many ships sunk-----heavy depthcharged from a destroyer.
A lot of damage and......NO MORE FUEL (due to damage):oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
...BUT....I have my lovely walter turbine fully charged:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: .
I'm saling at 2-3 knots and keeping my finger crossed........should be able to go back (slowly) to Penang!!!!!!!.

Paajtor
04-01-08, 08:47 AM
Well...gl then. :yep:

Keep us updated.:arrgh!:

wetwarev7
04-01-08, 11:39 AM
Yes! Even if you don't make it back to port, please tells us what kind of range you get please. :up:

Bewolf
04-02-08, 07:37 AM
U-boat type XVIII
April 1944, outside Colombo (Ceylon) harbour.
Made a raid inside the harbour-----many ships sunk-----heavy depthcharged from a destroyer.
A lot of damage and......NO MORE FUEL (due to damage):oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
...BUT....I have my lovely walter turbine fully charged:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: .
I'm saling at 2-3 knots and keeping my finger crossed........should be able to go back (slowly) to Penang!!!!!!!.

You see. Heavy damage + fully charged walther makes me think you did something wrong ; )

Herr_Pete
04-02-08, 07:41 AM
a nice we miracle having ur turbine still going but everything else is nackered! hope you get home :up:

Raptor1
04-02-08, 11:59 AM
I don't think I ever used the Walther in anything under 'Flank Speed', but i guess desperate situations call for desperate measures

thyro
04-02-08, 04:45 PM
That turbine (turbo booster) keep all DDs crazy behind my XUboat while spiting torps at 25kn at vshort range (<1000m sometimes <500m). Once DD under 200m "crash dive" and turn to one side... the uboat goes deep really quick... and even deeper because its speed.

be careful with that "turbo" switched on, on the way up at max speed (25)... otherwise uboat doesn't stop at periscope depth but flies out of the water (surfaces) :P ... which happened to me a couple times... and was fun to see the results ;) ... try that when closer to BBs and with a fleet of DDs behind to see :)

Anyway its pure fun doing torpedo runs at 25... silient running is thing of the past ;) or only valid once the main targets have sunk and DDS fly like crazy dropping DCharges anywhere, everywhere anydepth without luck.

JetSnake
04-02-08, 05:18 PM
Try an emergency surface at full speed with walther engaged, and in external view.

basilio
04-03-08, 07:59 AM
I did it all the way back :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Unfortunately I have a save from halfway the trip.
First of all the damage screen...I had a crew with a special "repair" ability, so everything was repaired, but, as you can see, lost all my fuel
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5662/55206162df0.jpg

basilio
04-03-08, 08:00 AM
Screenshot from halfway home
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5688/78323387xt7.jpg
One more
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/6042/85114958zc4.jpg

From Ceylon to the u-boat position shown on the screenshot I was travelling at 2 knots.
From there to Penang I increased the speed to 5 knots.
So considering an average speed of 4 knots, I was able to travel approximately 2.600 km :o :o :o :o :o

Kptlt. Neuerburg
04-03-08, 02:24 PM
I got my first try at this boat last night and IT RULES!!! My first mission with it was to stop a British Task Force from getting to Cape Town. So I found the group consisting of about I'd say 10 DDs, 2 BBs, and 1 light cruiser. The DDs took off after me with all haste,but because I was sending out a large amount of decoys they went after those instead and wound up culstered together !!:rotfl: But I got both BBs and the LC. For my actions I got a medal for it. I still wish I had shot a slavo into those DDs.

Paajtor
04-03-08, 03:02 PM
approximately 2.600 km :o :o :o :o :o :o

Still I wish the presence of this Uboat type here was based on facts....it feels awkward, sailing this one.:oops:
I had less problems using the XXI, in SH3.