SUBMAN1
03-28-08, 05:59 PM
The Gauls just fell completely, and now I must finish off the Spanish! :D

A pic of my Capital:

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/6938/0003hd5.jpg

Letum
03-28-08, 06:21 PM
Caption compertition entries:

1) We might not build on every square inch of the city, but by jove we will pave every square inch! :arrgh!:

2) Rome's first car park was not a success, but at least it was easy to find your car.

SUBMAN1
03-28-08, 06:23 PM
Your capital: we might not build on every square inch of the city, but by jove we will pave every square inch! :arrgh!:How is one supposed to make a gallant entrance when one has no central square to do such an entrance? :D

-S

mrbeast
03-28-08, 06:43 PM
"They paved paradise and put up a parkin' lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique, and a swingin' hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got till it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a parkin' lot

They took all the trees, and put em in a tree museum
And they charged the people a dollar and a half to see them
No, no, no, don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got till it's gone
They paved paradise, and put up a parkin' lot......................."

Actually I hate that song!!!! :hmm: :damn:

mrbeast
03-28-08, 06:50 PM
BTW Subman, I might disagree with you on a lot of things but you have good taste in games, Rome Total War is a classic! :rock:

Have you played any of the super mods for it such as Rome Total Realism?

HunterICX
03-28-08, 07:14 PM
Hey Subman!

if you have more to show in RTW:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=132779

report it there, a thread full of ppls' Total War game reports:yep:

do you play RTW stock?
if so we might have a go online.:yep:

HunterICX

Stealth Hunter
03-28-08, 07:16 PM
I play as Egypt, Hunter. Just wanted to throw that out there. I'll have to post some screenshots. Rome: Total War even four years later is STILL a great game. A lot of fun.

SUBMAN1
03-28-08, 07:19 PM
Yes, i play stock. Never tried multiplayer. I assume I'd get my butt kicked in the first go around without question! :yep: After a match or two though, watch out....

Never cared much for MTW2. Not when i have Rome!

-S

PS. Can i pray for a RTW 2?

HunterICX
03-28-08, 07:23 PM
Ah, but in RTW multiplayer you can team up and attack a big city versus AI ;) or on the fields you can pretty much think of any situation in multiplayer.

@Stealth Hunter: Stock or Modded RTW?

HunterICX

mrbeast
03-28-08, 07:24 PM
Actually just today I was thinking of playing again, think its about a year since I last loaded it up. I was playing Rome Total Realism, very cool mod BTW.

Of course I was Rome and I was locked in a desparate struggle with both Greece and Mecedonia. Possibly the best campaign I've ever played. Thought I was about to lose a half dozen times as I remember, those Macedonian Phalanxes are no joke!

Anyway when I left Greece was all but done for and the tide was turning against Macedonia! :arrgh!:

SUBMAN1
03-28-08, 07:26 PM
Actually just today I was thinking of playing again, think its about a year since I last loaded it up. I was playing Rome Total Realism, very cool mod BTW.

Of course I was Rome and I was locked in a desparate struggle with both Greece and Mecedonia. Possibly the best campaign I've ever played. Thought I was about to lose a half dozen times as I remember, those Macedonian Phalanxes are no joke!

Anyway when I left Greece was all but done for and the tide was turning against Macedonia! :arrgh!:I had trouble with Greece and Macedonia for some time, before I got the idea to 'buy' them! :D I'm parked in Sparta at this very moment and its mine!

Diplomat's can replace a sword arm occasionally!

I have much money though, so this may not have been possible in your case. I have at least 150K gold at the moment.

-S

Stealth Hunter
03-28-08, 07:31 PM
@Stealth Hunter: Stock or Modded RTW?

HunterICX

Stock, although I do have some mods that I might install (mainly being the Napoleonic Total War one and the Lord of the Rings Total War one). The disk I currently use is the one I bought four years ago. I've kept it in great condition, and it still works perfectly. A few scratches here and there, but they're not serious.

mrbeast
03-28-08, 07:36 PM
I learned the trick with those phalanxes is to flank, flank and flank again! Once they lower their pikes or spears into a combat position they are very slow and unmanouvreable and they eave their flanks exposed. If you can mass against the flank of one the phalanxes and break it then rally your men and attack the next flank and so on and you can roll up the whole line.

Infact thats actally how the Romans learned to deal with the Macedonians in RL. Its a testament to how good RTW is that RL tactics work just as well in the game.

Head to head with a phalanx and you'll find yourself running through the green fields of Elysium 'as quick as boiled asparagus' as the Emperor Augustus used to say!

Letum
03-28-08, 07:40 PM
I learned the trick with those phalanxes is to flank, flank and flank again!
If only the AI knew this.
The AI does try to flank a bit, but nowhere nearly as agressivly as it should.

Playing against human opponents is much more fun.

Stealth Hunter
03-28-08, 07:44 PM
I'm not much of a MP person when it comes to RTW. If they had an MP mode that featured diplomacy and turn-based mode like the regular campaign, then I'd love it, but they don't... I'm a person who likes to make alliances, negotiate, and trade with other people. I don't like to constantly war in the game. I prefer to advance my civilization architecturally and militarily, but I only use my army IF I am attacked OR if an ally is attacked. Otherwise, I'm like Switzerland: neutral and uneventful.

SUBMAN1
03-28-08, 07:46 PM
I learned the trick with those phalanxes is to flank, flank and flank again! Once they lower their pikes or spears into a combat position they are very slow and unmanouvreable and they eave their flanks exposed. If you can mass against the flank of one the phalanxes and break it then rally your men and attack the next flank and so on and you can roll up the whole line.

Infact thats actally how the Romans learned to deal with the Macedonians in RL. Its a testament to how good RTW is that RL tactics work just as well in the game.

Head to head with a phalanx and you'll find yourself running through the green fields of Elysium 'as quick as boiled asparagus' as the Emperor Augustus used to say!For RL, they turn those spears way too fast though!

-S

mrbeast
03-28-08, 07:50 PM
I learned the trick with those phalanxes is to flank, flank and flank again!
If only the AI knew this.
The AI does try to flank a bit, but nowhere nearly as agressivly as it should.

Playing against human opponents is much more fun.

The AI in Rome Total Realism is a lot better than in the stock game, keeps you your toes but just like stock, once you learn its tricks it can't adapt to new situations.

I've tried playing stock on the highest settings but it doesn't really box any cleverer it just makes its warriors harder to defeat, especially the Spanish 'Bull Warriors' they are just too hard to fight against. This generally causes much :damn: as I know quite a bit about ancient warfare and although the Celt-Iberians were tough fighters, no way were they that tough!

HunterICX
03-28-08, 07:50 PM
I'm not much of a MP person when it comes to RTW. If they had an MP mode that featured diplomacy and turn-based mode like the regular campaign, then I'd love it, but they don't... I'm a person who likes to make alliances, negotiate, and trade with other people. I don't like to constantly war in the game. I prefer to advance my civilization architecturally and militarily, but I only use my army IF I am attacked OR if an ally is attacked. Otherwise, I'm like Switzerland: neutral and uneventful.

True that,
a bit dificult to have such system, but it would work if you play with a group of friends and let the AI take over when a friend doesnt show up but the AI is purely defensive so it doesnt make stupid attacks that will make the nation lose valuable generals.

anyhow...what I like about MP in RTW as you can like said before Team up and attack a city with a bigger garrison. or visa-versa defend it and be under siege by a bigger attack force.

HunterICX

mrbeast
03-28-08, 08:09 PM
For RL, they turn those spears way too fast though!

Yeah they are a bit quick, you have to watchout for that. But in RL to hold a formation they must have been pretty well drilled.

Think I woul deffo play MP if you could play a campaign, but like HunterICX says it would be more than a little tricky to organise though.

caspofungin
03-28-08, 09:14 PM
Rome Total War is a sweet game, but Total Realsim mod makes it so much better. If you guys haven't tried it yet, give it a shot -- makes a big difference in terms of logistics and movement, to say nothing of the individual unit differences.

SUBMAN1
04-03-08, 04:51 PM
The Senate grows weary of me. I can't please them. I do their missions and my rating is continuing to go down regardless. Whats worse, the people love me. That makes things way worse since it makes the Senate like me even less.

I'm moving two large armies that way from Spain for the coming war. Nothing I can do about it I bet, so best not to be unprepaired.

-S