PDA

View Full Version : Unfair gun reloading times

DavyJonesFootlocker
03-27-08, 03:13 PM
I know the deck gun takes 25 secs to reload. What I don't understand is why deck guns on enemy ships rate of fire is like a Gatling-type gun.:roll:

kikn79
03-27-08, 03:36 PM
I know the deck gun takes 25 secs to reload. What I don't understand is why deck guns on enemy ships rate of fire is like a Gatling-type gun.:roll:

They have a much more stable platform to be able to reload the gun. i.e. they can reload faster and fill you full of lead.

Chuck

kv29
03-27-08, 07:45 PM
btw, you are NOT supposed to engage in a DG duel with other ships, subs were not meant to do such things. In real life a hit could ruin the pressure hull beyond repair at sea, making your sub a sitting duck out there.

swdw
03-28-08, 12:07 AM
Well lessee. A sub has one gun and everything has to be carried and loaded by hand. So it averages 2.2 shells per minute with the 5" gun.

The Kaibokan could average 8 shells per minute for each gun. The Akizuki could match the US 5" guns ROF which was 15 rounds per minute.

With 3 guns the Kaibokan can achieve a ROF of 24 shells per miute- over 10 times the ROF of the sub:-?

The Akizuki had EIGHT guns, capable of delivering a total of 120 shells a minute or 54 times the ROF the sub is capable of.:o

So you can see why you feel like your facing a gattling gun. :yep:

Rockin Robbins
03-28-08, 06:11 AM
Just load up swdw/LukeFF/kv29's Real Deck Gun and see what happens when you don't have a gyro-stabilized deck gun. You have no clue how bad the real comparison is from submarine to Japanese warship or even armed merchant. Comparatively, you have a laser guided, gyro-stabilized machine gun. Enjoy.

Edit: It gets worse, not only is your gun laser guided and gyro stabilized, but if you're not using TM/New Real Deck Gun you're also shooting photon torpedoes that will sink a target in at most a couple dozen shots. My deck gun takes at least 100 hits to sink just about anything larger than a sampan. A normal sinking takes 20 minutes real time minimum. I don't usually attack uninjured opponents for that reason.

Edit Edit: check out this thread (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=111770&highlight=deck) for a full explanation of the deck gun and its use in SH4. This is from the last version of Real Fleet Boat that I ran.

DavyJonesFootlocker
03-28-08, 08:41 AM
Ok here what happened. I had hit a Large Modern Composite Freighter with my second to last torp. She slowed down a bit and thought I'd finish the job with the Deckkie. Well, I noticed the bow deck gun on the merchant and said 'Oh-Oh'. So I let my DC crew rip away. Then the enemy sharted shooting back and his rate was faster than mines and more accurate. He missed a couple of times and I had crashed dived but not before he hit my conning tower. Then things got worse. I clicked the torp compartment and a message box came up saying if I wanted to insert commandos? Has Ducimus smoked dem funny cigarettes again? Is RR really Hillary Clinton in disguise? Has Peabody won the Miss USA Teen Pageant? What going on here?:damn:

AVGWarhawk
03-28-08, 09:46 AM
Well lessee. A sub has one gun and everything has to be carried and loaded by hand. So it averages 2.2 shells per minute with the 5" gun.

The Kaibokan could average 8 shells per minute for each gun. The Akizuki could match the US 5" guns ROF which was 15 rounds per minute.

With 3 guns the Kaibokan can achieve a ROF of 24 shells per miute- over 10 times the ROF of the sub:-?

The Akizuki had EIGHT guns, capable of delivering a total of 120 shells a minute or 54 times the ROF the sub is capable of.:o

So you can see why you feel like your facing a gattling gun. :yep:

Somebody did their homework:know:

Rockin Robbins
03-28-08, 09:57 AM
I clicked the torp compartment and a message box came up saying if I wanted to insert commandos? Has Ducimus smoked dem funny cigarettes again? Is RR really Hillary Clinton in disguise? Has Peabody won the Miss USA Teen Pageant? What going on here?:damn:
And what about Mary Lou?

DavyJonesFootlocker
03-28-08, 10:12 AM
RE: RR:rotfl::rotfl:

but I'm serious about that message box.

Wilcke
03-28-08, 02:44 PM
RE: RR:rotfl::rotfl:

but I'm serious about that message box.

I am confused did Mary Lou win the Miss USA Pageant or did Ducimus. :hmm: Its no fun getting old....I think this is a good time to take a break and have a nice BM. :smug:

DavyJonesFootlocker
03-28-08, 04:01 PM
What's a BM?

Rockin Robbins
03-28-08, 04:18 PM
What's a nice BM?

bammac3
03-29-08, 11:56 AM
What's a nice BM?

If you have to ask, you are probably not old.