PDA

View Full Version : stock u-boat radar useless?

WernerSobe
03-26-08, 04:28 PM
Ive noticed that even best radar upgrade for u-boats is almost useless. Ive ran on destroyers through heavy fog and couldnt detect them with radar before they were at about 200 meters and started shooting at me.

Is it maybe a conflict with environment mod? I have larger waves then stock could it cause the problem?

Fincuan
03-26-08, 04:44 PM
I don't know what's the latest radar upgrade ingame, but I've been using the FuMO-30 succesfully for a few patrols now. The hydrophone always picks up contacts before the radar, and in a fogless weather also the watchmen. When the visibility is limited the radar still rocks almost as well as the SJ-radar, though it certainly took some time to get used to the A-scope again. Also for some reason the radar operator often doesn't report the contacts, even though I get dropped out of time compression. Running TMO+RSRDC+W_Clear's Environmental mod

LukeFF
03-26-08, 06:15 PM
Which radar set? The first one (FuMO-29) is practically worthless.

Zantham
03-26-08, 06:19 PM
I started in 1943 with the Fumo-29, which is essentially useless. When I got back to port I was able to skip past the Fumo-30, so I cannot comment on its useableness. I put on a Fumo-61 and it actually works quite well now, seems to pick up planes pretty good, and ships too.

M. Sarsfield
03-27-08, 08:50 AM
I've used all of the radars and even though the 61 model is probably the best, they still royally suck in comparison with SJ. My look-outs still do most of the work.

Now, the radar detector models seem to be pretty good. I can pick up signals over the horizon before I see any contacts. For warships, this is a better device than the radar.

I don't think the waves have anything to do with it, although sobers' version of the Environment 4.0 mod has some HUGE waves and it makes going to persicope depth practically worthless. The super mods make waves a factor with radar, but I don't think that the stock game does.

LukeFF
03-28-08, 02:59 AM
It's odd as it is that the game starts you out with the FuMO 29, as it was installed in very few boats in ~1941-42 and replaced by FuMO 30 late in 1942. Starting off with FuMO 30 in the campaign would be a lot more realistic.

Kptlt. Neuerburg
03-30-08, 12:26 AM
I currently have the fuMO-30 installed on my boat and its not working for some reason and its the stock version of the game. Any tips?

WernerSobe
03-30-08, 03:45 PM
Maybe its the same issue with hydrophone.

Sometimes my hydrophone just stops working. No sound contact even when the target is so close that i can hear it from command room.

Just like the radar, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

It could be the same bug

Captain Strangelove
03-31-08, 05:42 AM
Could it be that your crew's inexperience is responsible for that? After all you are talking about the radar you are starting your campaign with.
Maybe it's the same as with the hydrophones in SHIII; the more experienced they get the better the detection probability.

Cheers

Kai

P.S.: I haven't played the Add-On yet.

Pikes
04-05-08, 08:51 AM
My own feeling was the sonar on the Germans was much better than the US which were benefitting from better radar.