PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Aircraft? Anyone agree?

brandtryan
03-22-08, 05:46 AM
Ok. I'm in a campaign after battle of Midway, and I'm diving from enemy aircraft the ENTIRE way to Honshu from Pearl. I'm no expert, but didn't we dessimate all the Japanese carriers at Midway? Where are these aircraft coming from?? I don't mind diving from aircraft when I'm in proximity to a Japanese airbase--but this seems a bit too much. Can someone educate me on this?

Lord_FLB
03-22-08, 05:53 AM
Ok. I'm in a campaign after battle of Midway, and I'm diving from enemy aircraft the ENTIRE way to Honshu from Pearl. I'm no expert, but didn't we dessimate all the Japanese carriers at Midway? Where are these aircraft coming from?? I don't mind diving from aircraft when I'm in proximity to a Japanese airbase--but this seems a bit too much. Can someone educate me on this?

Ahoi,

I agree with you. And I feel like the KI of the enemy aircraft is in my small opinion too hard. And the gunmen of my boat are not sharpshooters... It's more than a lucky day to shoot down an aircraft. Long range aircrafts flying too high... and the only chance to shut down others: They comes directly ahead against you... ! Best opinion is to dive ...

brandtryan
03-22-08, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the quick response! I feel like Greg Luganis training for the freaking Olympic Games.

Sailor Steve
03-22-08, 11:02 AM
You need to look around the boards a little before asking a question like "anyone agree?". You will find that everyone agrees, that it was a problem with stock SH4 a year ago, and with stock SH3 three years ago.

Anyway, not just anyone, but pretty much everyone agrees, there are way too many planes in every out-of-the-box version of the game.

brandtryan
03-22-08, 11:50 AM
You need to look around the boards a little before asking a question like "anyone agree?". You will find that everyone agrees, that it was a problem with stock SH4 a year ago, and with stock SH3 three years ago.

Anyway, not just anyone, but pretty much everyone agrees, there are way too many planes in every out-of-the-box version of the game.

I looked around the boards a little. I did a search under the expansion forum for "aircraft" and apparently, missed some relevant posts. I didn't notice this problem in SH3 or SHIV, at least not to this extent. At any rate, thanks for the reply--perhaps the developers will address it sometime.

tater
03-22-08, 12:00 PM
There is a bug with the way the campaign deals with "scripted" mission files (battles).

When the CVs are placed in "scripted" missions, while they do not appear in the game world until their appearance date, the AIRGROUP associated with the CV does (at the spawn point of the CV). Since the campaign has to load the mission file for a period of time before and after the actual battle, there's the problem.

The fact that the CV airgroups are poorly done is another issue. They contain about the right number of planes, but they are virtually all "in the air" all the time. In reality, the CV airgroups need to be cut down to no more planes that would reasonably be over the CV on CAP at any given moment. Maybe 3 planes. Maybe.

That's been done already, BTW.

Rockin Robbins
03-22-08, 01:30 PM
If you're foolish enough to let yourself be spotted by an airplane, for instance, by being John Wayne and shooting them down, their last act will be to call in all their friends to help you celebrate. Flak guns are for shooting sampans.:up:

tater
03-22-08, 02:48 PM
Yeah, actually fighting aircraft with a submarine is an act of utter desperation, IMO.

brandtryan
03-22-08, 09:59 PM
Yeah, actually fighting aircraft with a submarine is an act of utter desperation, IMO.

I haven't fired around off at an aircraft--I'm just sick of diving all the time around Honshu.

Raptor1
03-22-08, 10:08 PM
I always found SH4's Psychic Teleporting Aircraft Attacks a little strange, and more then a bit annoying...

Fortune
03-22-08, 10:49 PM
Are there mods which make the aircrafts more dangerous and lowering their number?
It's so annoying that sometimes up to 15 planes are attacking you on one day until you are 1000km off the coast.
I tried it and let an aircraft attack(torpedoplane). It flew 7(!) times directly over my boat without throwing a bomb. Than I shot it down:damn:

Doolittle81
03-22-08, 10:54 PM
Are there mods which make the aircrafts more dangerous and lowering their number?
It's so annoying that sometimes up to 15 planes are attacking you on one day until you are 1000km off the coast.
I tried it and let an aircraft attack(torpedoplane). It flew 7(!) times directly over my boat without throwing a bomb. Than I shot it down:damn:

Reduced aircraft MOD:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=131709

edjcox
03-22-08, 11:47 PM
Besides the inordinate amount of aircraft, the type employed and their unlimited numbers of bombs and depth charges needs fixin...

Also aircraft unless especially configured tended not to fly to far from base in darkness due to the lack of IF ability in early fighters. As John Kenedy's boy found out flying out there over water at night and in the wrong weather and lighting conditions you will end up in the drink... Attack aircraft almost flew a curfew and this of course was surface run and battery recharde time for submariners...

Aircraft realism is a poor element of the game in so far as tactics are concerened...

Still:arrgh!: love the game...

Elder-Pirate
03-23-08, 03:34 PM
Since the aircraft has been discussed from Midway to Honshu in this thread I am wondering what this has to do with "SH4 U-Boat Missions" ? Have you people checked in what forum this thread lies?:roll:

Talk about HIJACKED. lol

brandtryan
03-23-08, 03:36 PM
Since the aircraft has been discussed from Midway to Honshu in this thread I am wondering what this has to do with "SH4 U-Boat Missions" ? Have you people checked in what forum this thread lies?:roll:

Because I've only had this problem in the U-Boat add-on! Sheesh.

Elder-Pirate
03-23-08, 03:43 PM

Because I've only had this problem in the U-Boat add-on! Sheesh.

Excuse me I did not know the "German U-Boats" were EVER at Midway. :hmm:

With the vanilla SH4 by itself you will have these aircraft, the "SH4 U-Boat Missions" add-on has nothing to do with it at all.

Torplexed
03-23-08, 03:53 PM
The U-Boat add-on also includes the 1.5 patch for SH4. However, the myraid aircraft problem goes all the way back to version 1.0

Elder-Pirate
03-23-08, 04:48 PM
The U-Boat add-on also includes the 1.5 patch for SH4. However, the myraid aircraft problem goes all the way back to version 1.0

Yes Torplexed I agree. My point to the lad was the questions for the Japanese aircraft from Midway to Honshu were not an "SH4 U-Boat Add On" issue just because he has obtained the add on to his SH4 release.

Not that I'm a grouch. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/grump.gif http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/oleman/Grumble1-2.gif

AkbarGulag
03-25-08, 05:48 AM
Is there no problem with the aircraft frequency in the 'ADD-ON'?

brandtryan
03-25-08, 07:09 AM

The problem still exists in the add-on. I should have posted though, in the other forum, as its been a problem for awhile, apparently.

Rockin Robbins
03-25-08, 07:19 AM
I see no problem with too many aircraft running SH4UBM essentially stock. Are the airplanes irritating at best and life threatening at worst? Yes. That's how it is supposed to be. Ask a subvet.

AkbarGulag
03-25-08, 07:28 AM
The problem still exists in the add-on. I should have posted though, in the other forum, as its been a problem for awhile, apparently.

I see. The main reason I ask, is because some time ago I almost completed a whole new air layer for the IO. Since both will share the airstrike.cfg file the bases for the IO will need to be balanced against the bases for the PTO. Otherwise we may see a need to enable the airstrike.cfg independantly for each theatre via JSGME.

I don't intend to release the IO layer until RSRD is completed regardless.